The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

161 views
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 5.1 - Fall Colors

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 20, 2010 09:36PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10919 comments Mod
5.1 - Fall Colors
The leaves, they are a-changin'... Read a book with a title that includes a fall leaf color (yellows, oranges, browns, reds). (EXAMPLES: The Red Tent, The Scarlet Letter, The Gold Coast, A Clockwork Orange, Tangerine, etc.)

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task, please post them here.


message 2: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 22, 2010 08:05PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10919 comments Mod
Yes -- These books would fit this task:

Golden Threads by Kay Hooper
Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy
Saffy's Angel by Hilary McKay -- Saffy is short of Saffron

More color words that work: Lemon, marigold, copper, blond, amber, bronze

Links to other words that would work:
Shades of Red
Shades of Yellow
Shades of Orange
Shades of Brown


message 3: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 26, 2010 11:34AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10919 comments Mod
No -- These books do not fit this task:

Words that do not work: Redness
Redwall


message 4: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Golden Threads by Kay Hooper?


message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Would "lemon" or "marigold" work for this, since they're shades of yellow (and names of crayons!)?


message 6: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10919 comments Mod
Sheila wrote: "Golden Threads by Kay Hooper?"
A very good example (looks like a good story, too). Yes, this works.


message 7: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10919 comments Mod
Ms Anderson wrote: "Would "lemon" or "marigold" work for this, since they're shades of yellow (and names of crayons!)?"

Both would work.


message 8: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 686 comments Is it okay if the word is 'redness' as in Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West?


message 9: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10919 comments Mod
Patricia wrote: "Is it okay if the word is 'redness' as in Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West?"

Redness doesn't work. Looking for shades of red. But Blood does, so that book is fine.


message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 686 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Patricia wrote: "Is it okay if the word is 'redness' as in Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West?"

Redness doesn't work. Looking for shades of red. But Blood does, so th..."


Ha! That works for me. Thanks!


message 11: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments You'd have to surf through the list, but goodreads has a list of books with colors in the title:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/63...


message 12: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) I read this sentence "Copper and blond leaves still clinging to the lower branches of beech trees." this morning and my first thought was "copper" and "blond" have great book possibilities for this task.


message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10919 comments Mod
pjreads wrote: "I read this sentence "Copper and blond leaves still clinging to the lower branches of beech trees." this morning and my first thought was "copper" and "blond" have great book possibilities for this..."

LOL - They do indeed.


message 14: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I almost didn't find a book on my Nook, but I found one on my eWish List! Haha! And it works for two "scarlet" and "red"
Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood"


message 15: by Carly (new)

Carly | 251 comments Would Saffy's Angel work? Saffy is short for Saffron which is under the Shades of Yellow list. Each of the children in the story are named after a color.


message 16: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10919 comments Mod
Carly wrote: "Would Saffy's Angel work? Saffy is short for Saffron which is under the Shades of Yellow list. Each of the children in the story are named after a color."

I'll take it since her name is really Saffron, but when you post the task in the completed thread please mention that Saffy is short for Saffron and that the book was specifically approved in the help thread.


message 17: by Carly (new)

Carly | 251 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Carly wrote: "Would Saffy's Angel work? Saffy is short for Saffron which is under the Shades of Yellow list. Each of the children in the story are named after a color."

I'll take i..."


Thanks so much. Its greatly appreciated.


message 18: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 640 comments amber? bronze?


message 19: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10919 comments Mod
JenC. wrote: "amber? bronze?"

Both work.


message 20: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Yay! A great reason to read Rick Riordan's (Percy Jackson) new book, The Red Pyramid!


Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Would Redwall work?


message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7594 comments The Red Umbrella (i'm actually reading this for another group, so it works out well!)


message 24: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 686 comments Is 'golden' okay as in the following?

The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing
The Golden Bowl by Henry James
The Girl With The Golden Eyes by Honoré de Balzac


message 25: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10919 comments Mod
Sarah (Mood Reader) wrote: "Would Redwall work?"

No.


Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments So does pink work for red?


message 27: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10919 comments Mod
Not many pink leaves out there but pink is a shade of red, so I'll take it if you can't find anything else.


Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments I was just asking because it was with the reds


message 29: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2080 comments Will Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron work? "Saffron" is after the :


message 30: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10919 comments Mod
Deedee wrote: "Will Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron work? "Saffron" is after the :"

Yes.


message 32: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments After adoring the Percy Jackson series, I'm going to read Rick Riordan's new book, The Red Pyramid!


message 33: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Does the word "Fire" work as a shade of red? The wikipedia link lists "Fire engine", "Fire brick", and "Flame", but not fire.


message 34: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10919 comments Mod
Mrs.soule wrote: "Does the word "Fire" work as a shade of red? The wikipedia link lists "Fire engine", "Fire brick", and "Flame", but not fire."

I actually think of fire as yellow and orange rather than red. Regardless, it works ;o).


back to top