Beyond Reality discussion

Members' Lounge > Earthsea Movie?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) I was reading the New York Times, this morning and there was a small little add for Tales from Earthsea. It is from the same studio as Ponyo and Spirited Away. IMDB.com lists a 2006 Japanese release date. It is based on Le Guin's work. Does anyone know anything else?

message 2: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments sorry never heard of it.

message 3: by Jeff (last edited Aug 14, 2010 06:04PM) (new)

Jeff Watson | 55 comments Further information on the imdb site indicates that Disney was releasing the movie on August 13, 2010 in limited release. The movie was directed by Goro Miyazaki, the son of acclaimed animator Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle). Apparently a DVD version with English subtitles is available but I can only find it for Region 2 (the US and Canada are Region 1). I hope it eventually comes out for Region 1.

I find Hayao Miyazaki work to be incredible (he does things by hand that most everyone else is doing by computer) if sometimes I don't understand all of the cultural references.

message 4: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey I saw this just the other night, actually. Absolutely beautiful art, lots of sweeping landscapes and the like. The few times dragons are on-screen all I could do was marvel at them. Good voice acting too, which can always be hit-or-miss for me, most of the time I like the original voice acting better but this was really well done. I think if you're a fan of Studi Ghibli's work you'll probably enjoy this one. It takes place after the cycle, not during, so go into it with an open mind.

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) There was a movie based on Le Guin's Earthsea a few years ago, but it really sucked, IMO. I think it was a sci fi channel mini series or something.

http://www.amazon.com/Earthsea-Shawn-...

message 6: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Watson | 55 comments Aubrey, are you saying you saw the Disney release? And do I take it they did English voiceovers?

message 7: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey Yup, they did do English voice overs. I didn't recognize main character, Arren's, voice actor but William Dafoe, Timothy Dalton, and even Cheech Marin (who has such a distinct voice, it's hard to miss in anything he does)do the voiceovers for some of the other major players.

message 8: by Peterb (new)

Peterb I saw this perhaps a year ago, via a club. Not to be too flip about it, but overall I thought it was pretty weak.

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Thanks for all the info.