Jasper Fforde's Books: Thursday Next + Other Books discussion

Welcome to the Group & Changes

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Hi All Members.

Doug just made me co-mod.

So, I've added some folders and put exiting posts into them.

I've added tags so new members may have an easier time finding us.

If you have any ideas feel free to post your suggestions in this thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

Thanks.

Also, feel free to start new threads in any folder.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Hi All,

Thanks to Doug (I did send him a pm) for letting me be a co-mod here.

Even though this group hasn't been that active or required a lot of moderating, I'm cutting back on responsibilities. So, I'm going to remove myself from co-mod status.

I will stay here as a general group member.

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 1 comments I apologize if this is known already in this group, but sadly Doug passed away.

So the group does need a moderator, but I'm not sure how one can be added except by another moderator...

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jon wrote: "I apologize if this is known already in this group, but sadly Doug passed away.

So the group does need a moderator, but I'm not sure how one can be added except by another moderator..."

Oh, no; I didn't know. There is no other mod now. I was co-mod for quite a while, but let Doug know and then quit. The only one who can make one of us mod is Goodreads.

So, anybody who wants to be mod should message Goodreads and explain the situation and I'm sure they will do that.

I don't know what they'll do with Doug's account. I've been friends with him since nearly the beginning.

Thanks, Jon, for letting us know.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Oh, I'm really sad. I got to know Doug quite well, although it's been a long time since he's done anything here at Goodreads or on Facebook either.

Thanks again, Jon, for the sad information.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen (jeninseattle) | 18 comments Very sad to hear.

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee (renerd) | 38 comments Mod
Hi all. After consulting with previous mod Lisa, I've sent a message to goodreads regarding the passing of our moderator, Doug, to see what to do. Hopefully they will be in touch shortly, to let us know how to proceed. Is there anyone out there who really wants to take over as moderator? I've volunteered to do so, but would be more than happy to share the title.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks, Renee, for taking charge. I wish I'd stayed mod just so I could add you as mod, and then I'd leave the position and allow you to choose co-mods.

I know Goodreads will come through. They're the ones who will have to remove Doug as a mod. Since he created the group, no other member can delete him from that position.

I sure hope Goodreads keeps his Goodreads account active though!!!

Jasper Fforde is a wonderful author and this group does deserve more activity, especially since new books are continuing to get published.

message 9: by Renee (new)

Hi ffellow Fforde ffans! Goodreads has kindly added me as a mod, so I'm pleased that we can continue with this great group. If anyone else would like to co-mod, I will be happy to add you--just drop me a line. I'm planning on adding new threads for the Dragonslayer books, and of course there is the new TN book out as well--so exciting! In the meantime, have a great day, and don't forget to eat your toast.

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie | 8 comments I'm glad all is sorted. I love Fforde! I'm glad that there are others!

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks for taking over, Renee. Jasper Fforde is too brilliant an author not to have an active group on this site.

message 12: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine Halada (jeanine57) | 8 comments Thank you Renee for taking over. I love Fforde's work. TN and now the young adult lit Dragonslayer novels. Is he going to do anymore with his Shades of Gray series??

message 13: by Renee (new)

Jeanine wrote: ...Is he going to do anymore with his Shades of Gray series??"
Ooh I don't know, the last time I looked at his website I didn't get any indication either way, but the way the book ended it certainly left it open for a sequel. I wonder if anyone else has the scuttlebutt...

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Oh, yes!:

http://www.goodreads.com/series/51553...

Book 2 is due out this year.

message 15: by Renee (new)

Lisa wrote: "Oh, yes!:...
NICE! Good one Lisa!

message 16: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 1 comments Yay! Will need to reread the first one before hand though as the details are a bit hazy.

message 17: by John (new)

John (athorist) | 2 comments Lisa wrote: "Oh, yes!:

Book 2 is due out this year."

That's the JFf series I'm least interested in reading more of, maybe cos when I read it I thought it was a stand-alone (if it wasn't for the plot thing at the end, it would pretty much be a completely satisfying conclusion. But I didn't know it was basically a prequel for the book he wanted to write - which puts a different perspective on things.) Nearly put me off the rest of his stuff, but in the end I did, and never looked back.

So I'll probably get the new Shades Of Gray (it wouldn't have that title if it was published now), but I'll be thinking of Nursery Crime #3

message 18: by sj (new)

sj (essjay42) Lisa wrote: "Oh, yes!:

Book 2 is due out this year."

Sadly, that's no longer the case.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks, essjay. Oh well. At least there will in the not too distant future be a standalone book in the Shades of Gray world.

message 20: by sj (new)

sj (essjay42) That was my original feeling as well. I've enjoyed everything of his I've read (including the Locked Room Mystery Mystery), so I'm more than willing to wait.

message 21: by Jen (new)

Jen (jeninseattle) | 18 comments Thank you Renee (and Goodreads) for picking up this group and taking the helm. :-)

message 22: by Renee (new)

My pleasure! It is great to keep meeting other fans of this super writer.

message 23: by Jools (new)

Jools | 1 comments Hi ffellow Ffordians,
I've read the 5 first novels of the Thursday Next series in French (be cause I am, French I mean) but the next one will be out and translated in like a year or so, and I can't wait, so I gave myself the challenge to read One of our Thursdays is Missing in its original version. English, I mean.
As the last book I read in English was pretty easy for me to understand, I'm expecting this one to be much harder because of all the made-up words and stuff that are already tricky to understand and imagine when translated.
Anyway, I couldn't find any Ffordian club in French language, so I ended up here, and you all seem nice so I hope I won't be too much of a heavy person to deal with.
:)

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Hi, Jools. I hope the English language book works for you. I think books should come in all languages simultaneously, and in all countries too. I'm an English language reader but often have to wait for books that are first published in Australia or the UK, and occasionally they never get U.S. editions. (They can be ordered online, of course.) We're one world now and the book industry should reflect that. You're very welcome here, but if you ever want a group where you communicate in French, about Jasper Fforde or any other subject, you can always start a group. But hopefully this one will work for you. Your written English is perfect.

message 25: by Renee (new)

Jools wrote: "Hi ffellow Ffordians,
I've read the 5 first novels of the Thursday Next series in French (be cause I am, French I mean) but the next one will be out and translated in like a year or so, and I can'..."

Bienvenue dans le groupe Jools! If anything comes up that is too strange to easily translate post it to the board and we will help out autant que nous le pouvons. I live next to Quebec so French is used around here to a degree, though it might be a little different from the version you speak. If you wish to start a discussion thread in french, you should feel free to do so--there may be others in the group for whom English is a second language.
A bientot!

message 26: by Becky (new)

Becky | 2 comments Hi All, i'm new to the good reads and the place i thought I should head first? Fforde of course! It is a small mission of mine to introduce as many people as possible to the wonderful worlds of Ffordian fiction, i'm so glad there are others out there who enjoy Fforde's books as much as I do.

message 27: by Renee (new)

Hi Becky and welcome!

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky | 2 comments Thanks for the quick and friendly welcome Renee

message 29: by Renee (new)

I'm trying to get better at being the moderator, plus I just happened to be around.
We don't have a ton of activity but everyone on here is super nice, which I think comes with being a Fforde fan. That and wackiness.
:-}

message 30: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (gooddog32) | 1 comments Hi Becky! I always find myself doing the same thing - suggesting Fforde to people. I got a lot of strange looks from friends and family when I was recommending "Shades of Grey". I had to keep saying "no NOT '50 Shaed of Grey'....."

message 31: by Emma (new)

Emma (conditionnerd) | 1 comments Renee wrote: "I'm trying to get better at being the moderator, plus I just happened to be around.
We don't have a ton of activity but everyone on here is super nice, which I think comes with being a Fforde fan. ..."

I'll poke my head up and say hi- I always delete the goodreads digests I get except when they have "Jasper Fforde" in the title. I just got my friend Josh to read eyre affair; he's hooked and now trying to spread the love of fforde to everyone he knows! Success!

PS - A very warm welcome to the group Becky!

message 32: by Amle (new)

Amle | 11 comments Hello, as I just started rereading Thursday Next I figured I should have a look and see if any groups had been started for Fforde's books. I hope this group is still active despite the sparse comments in the past year.
I'd love to have some discussions and talks so I'll join in the hope we can get the ball rolling again.

message 33: by Renee (new)

Amle wrote: "Hello, as I just started rereading Thursday Next I figured I should have a look and see if any groups had been started for Fforde's books. I hope this group is still active despite the sparse comme..."

Amle, the group isn't terribly active but I believe we all keep an eye on the list--if things come up you wish to talk about I'm sure folks who have opinions and thoughts about such will participate in the conversation. :-) Welcome to the group!

message 34: by Amle (new)

Amle | 11 comments Thanks for the welcome! I hope we can stir up some trouble here shortly. I'll do my best to contribute.

message 35: by Paul (new)

Paul | 2 comments I keep an eye on it too. Just finished the 4th bear.

message 36: by Martin (last edited Aug 26, 2015 04:07AM) (new)

Martin Schuh | 3 comments Hi, I'm new to this group and just wanted to say hello. As you probably guess Im a Jasper Fforde fan. I've read all his books except for the Quarkbeast series. So naturally when I decided to join some groups I looked for a Fforde group and here I am. Outside of Fforde I like to read Fantasy and I also like to read a little literature from time to time.

message 37: by Renee (new)

Welcome Martin!!

message 38: by Veerle (new)

Veerle Paesbrugge | 3 comments Hi, I'm not quite new to the group, but never posted something before. :-) I'm from Belgium and used to work in the Dutch-speaking public library of Brussels. Now I work for the supporting network for all Dutch-speaking public libraries in Brussels (there are 20 of them).
Hello all :-)

message 39: by Renee (new)

Welcome Gunnar, nice to see a fellow public librarian in the group! :-)

message 40: by Veerle (new)

Veerle Paesbrugge | 3 comments Yes, nice to see you are a Goodreads librarian too. I also received authorisation but haven't quite used it yet. ;-)

Jasper Fforde's Books: Thursday Next + Other Books

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jasper Fforde (other topics)