Fantastic Fantasy and Science Fiction discussion

Is Sex Important To The Story? > Sex and the fantasy series -- does it add or subtract?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jD (last edited Aug 14, 2010 01:33PM) (new)

jD (jd_4everbooked) | 109 comments Mod
The 'Sons of Destiny' eight book series by Jean Johnson was about magical brothers lifting a curse by finding their appropiate mate in the sequence of their birth. The brothers are mages and live in a make-believe world. The brothers and the books were funny and charming. I would even call some good romances. I was quite suprised by the amount of sex that went into each book. At some point it became a distraction. Have you read any fantasy series, such as 'Sons of Destiny' or 'World of Hetar' where there was an abundance of sex? Did you find it a plus, minus, or just right?

message 2: by Sonya (new)

Sonya | 11 comments The Meridith Gentry series by Laurell Hamilton. The sex was a distraction in my opinion. I felt like I needed a score sheet to keep all of her suitors straight. After the 3rd of 4th book I stopped reading the series. I couldn't take it anymore.

message 3: by jD (new)

I left that one too after she had sex with that little dwarf, childlike character. Yuck.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) jD wrote: "I left that one too after she had sex with that little dwarf, childlike character. Yuck."

I have these books but havent read...Yuck is right! think III pass on these!

message 5: by Jesslyn (new)

Jesslyn (jesslynh) | 69 comments Mod
Bleh--I prefer the 'fade to black' myself. I usually skip over the sex.

In the Meridith Gentry series--while I can't excuse the at times really bad writing--the sex is integral to the story and storyline. Doesn't make it easier to take sometimes--just sayin....

message 6: by jD (new)

In some series it is overkill and I skip. I skip it with the Capathian series because it is so frequent and repetitive. I would say I skip half with World of Hetar. I am no prud but some stories don't need the number of detailed scenes that are used. In fantasy, it is usually brief and changes from one couple to another. So I don't consider it an overuse of pages happens sometimes with paranormal romance. On the other hand, it is under untilized in science fiction. Sometimes that is a waste.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Anything with Bertrice Small..has "sex overkill"!! her older book are worse...but her stories are good..so I just flip..flip...Im not a prude either but I like "balance"....I cant stand it when the book is almost every chapter with hot sex...give me a story!..throw in some magic..suspense..adventure.."a little lovin" and Im happy :)

message 8: by Jesslyn (new)

Jesslyn (jesslynh) | 69 comments Mod
I read Bertrice Small in the 70s and 80's and don't remember too much sex. In fact, she wrote one of my favorite books and it's still in my best of list. The Kadin

message 9: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Aug 23, 2010 04:38PM) (new)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Oh..The Kadin is tame to some of her other ones..I read the 70/80's too..it just seemed like some of them always started with a"rape" as well...just some had a little too much and others were tamer to me..

message 10: by jD (new)

Well I am thinking Bertrice Small decided to try her hand at erotica because The World of Hetar is full of detailed sex. It's well written and the storylines are good, but it's quite a bit of sex.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I have to agree with you on this jD!!

message 12: by Kashii (new)

Kashii | 6 comments Yeah the world of Hetar has a LOT of sex in it but it doesnt detract from the book. I think in certain series sex is an integral part, i mean sex exits can't pretend that in this world we're jumping into that nobody's doing the grown up. My only problem with sex scenes is when they're vulgar for no reason

Fantastic Fantasy and Science Fiction

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Kadin (other topics)