Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > the passage- no spoilers yet

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments so i am reading The Passage and am about 1/3 finished. not sure how that equates chapter-wise since i am reading it on my kindle. when i read a synopses of this book, it didn't seem like something i'd be interested in reading but i am totally engrossed in the story. wondering what's the deal with amy and what's going to happen.
not even sure where to begin talking about it!
carol- have you started it yet? anyone else reading it?

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Sherry: I read the first chapter as a Kindle sample and after much PC wrangling finally managed to get all five segments downloaded to my PC from audible.com, then ran into some issues transferring it to my Blackberry. I am trying to decide whether to buy some more blank CD's to burn it to disk or attempt the transfer to a portable device again. Technology 1 <-> Ann 0 at the moment... It started out quite differently than I expected. I can read all of chapter two as a sample (I think) so will do that later perhaps before listening. I wanted to listen to it for the first time rather than read, but may fore go that plan to finish the sample.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Sherry wrote: "so i am reading The Passage and am about 1/3 finished. not sure how that equates chapter-wise since i am reading it on my kindle. when i read a synopses of this book, it didn't seem ..."

Sherry, I just got the CD from the library today, and I already have the HC from the library so I may begin with that and pick up the CDs once I finish The Magicians by Lev Grossman.

Regarding establishing page location, I've successfully used Amazon's "look inside" feature to establish pages when I'm listening, but it does take some time. You have to pick a unique phrase from what you're listening to and enter it into the search box. If it's unique enough it will bring you to the exact page, but if there are several choices you have to click on each until the correct one comes up.

message 4: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments I'm listening to it very slowly on an audible download, but haven't had much audio worthy time lately. Still only about 1/3 done. I am enjoying the storyline much more than I would have predicted and appreciating Cronin's way with words. I'm usually such a realist and stay away from most sci-fi type stories, but writers like Stephen King and now Cronin manage to draw me in seamlessly.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Marcy wrote: "I'm listening to it very slowly on an audible download, but haven't had much audio worthy time lately. Still only about 1/3 done. I am enjoying the storyline much more than I would have predicted..."

Good to hear, Marcy! I'm wondering how we will discuss a book so long and with all of us at different points in the novel, but let's figure it out.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Carol:
I have been wondering about that too. I don't think we planned to do emails, however some of that method might be adapted. With email as the method for communication, the subject header may alert you to read or delay reading based on the chapter, page or other marker of how far the other reader has gone. For threaded posts that isn't so easy as the subject header remains throughout the thread.
My Kindle sample table of contents shows there are several parts. Would it make sense to start a 'The Passage' folder and inside start a thread for each of the parts and then each of us could finish a part as we can and post within that thread or as new chapter threads?
Part one has chapters 1-14
Part two has chapters 15-17
Part three has chapter 18
Part four has chapters 19-23
Part five has chapters 24-34
Part six has chapters 34-41
Part seven has chapters 42-46
Part eight has chapters 47-55
Part nine has chapters 56-61
Part ten has chapters 62-70
Part eleven has chapters 71-74 and a postscript.
Just a thought, I am open for other suggestions.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I'm wondering how we will discuss a book so long and with all of us at different points in the novel, but let's figure it out. "

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Ann wrote: "Carol:
I have been wondering about that too. I don't think we planned to do emails, however some of that method might be adapted. With email as the method for communication, the subject header may ..."

that works for me ;)
thanks for doing that, ann.
i did notice that the kindle does have chapters, i just don't always look at them..lol

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I'll look at the nook version tomorrow when I get home. Not up to it now. I don't even know if I'll get any reading done when I get offline. My eyes have been so out of focus and it's a pain to use the glasses down here. But I want to start reading something on the nook and I guess that is a good choice.

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Ann, I like the idea, but I'd do the same thing (create chapter topics) in the Spoiler folder. Is there an advantage to creating a new folder? I favor keeping it with the other Spoiler Talk, but maybe I'm missing an advantage.

Ann wrote: "Would it make sense to start a 'The Passage' folder and inside start a thread for each of the parts and then each of us could finish a part as we can and post within that thread or as new chapter threads? ..."

message 10: by Ann (new)

either works, I guess I just like folders! ;)

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann, I like the idea, but I'd do the same thing (create chapter topics) in the Spoiler folder. Is there an advantage to creating a new folder? I favor keeping it with the other Spoiler Talk, but ..."

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann, I like the idea, but I'd do the same thing (create chapter topics) in the Spoiler folder. Is there an advantage to creating a new folder? I favor keeping it with the other Spoiler Talk, but ..."

i'd prefer to discuss on the board rather than in emails. i like using the spoiler folder to do that and labeling carefully

message 12: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I started reading where I left off when I first bought the book. I was thinking of starting it over but didn't. I'll probably be mad at myself later.

message 13: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Aug 17, 2010 01:14PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Gotcha. Something in me likes keeping the number of folders few and the topics broad enough to last over time. Why don't I start out in the Spoiler folder and if it becomes a problem I can always create a new folder and move 'em over. I'll create the topics later tonite.

Sherry, email is *not* on the table, you'll be happy to know.

Ann wrote: "Carol:
either works, I guess I just like folders! ;)

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Gotcha. Something in me likes keeping the number of folders few and the topics broad enough to last over time. Why don't I start out in the Spoiler folder and if it becomes a problem I can always..."

that sounds good, carol.i finished part one which i liked and am reading part 2 now. i think i'm around chapter 21 or 22 but not sure.

message 15: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments I've just finished Chapter 3! Woo-hoo!

The audio is read by Scott Brick, whose voice is very familiar to me but I can't think of what else I've read by him. It's some favorite series, though. I'm sure I could look it up, but where?

Oh I just googled him and he read The Woods by Harlan Coben.

I also found a cool online magazine called "AudioFile" that profiles audio readers. He's read an ungodly number of books!

message 16: by Ann (new)

Scott Brick has read audio books that I have listened to, and you are right, his voice is very familiar to me as well. I have enjoyed his reading of several Nelson DeMille books as well as several of the Dune books.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I've just finished Chapter 3! Woo-hoo!
The audio is read by Scott Brick, whose voice is very familiar to me but I can't think of what else I've read by him. It's some favorite series, though. I..."

message 17: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I better try and get reading in this book. Only 25 pages or around there read. Yet I'm reading other regular books too but I'm not moving out of the house today so maybe I try and get a few chapters read. It hasn't grabbed me yet and I thought it had already. Maybe I do need to go back and reread when was already read when I bought it. On his website he has a few videos I guess you would call them. I love his voice and the way he talks. And tells how he wrote this story kind of with is daughter while running. I believe I was looking though a older (?} bookpage magazine which I haven't read yet and there is a page length story about him and this book.

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments I read through about half of the third chapter last night when the Kindle sample ran out and located the same spot on the audible audio to listen some more. I am about 15 minutes away from chapter 4. Too bad I am not driving to work this week to have time to listen much more than here and there.
I found this tip for Kindle users reading The Passage on a Kindle and using annotations to make their notes.
http://www.bounceapp.com/14814
The website Bounce that I used to capture my note on the Kindle annotations http://www.bounceapp.com/ is rather neat too!

message 19: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Hmm, I'm going to have to look into the bounceapp app.

I've set up the topics for discussion of The Passage in the Spoiler Board and even though I'm not through Part One yet will start to post some impressions.

message 20: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I started over and skimmed the part I had already read when I first bought it and it's starting to grab me. I'm into chapter 2.

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments After reading chapters one and two as Kindle samples, and finishing chapter three on audio tonight I will make a non spoiler comment that it appears Cronin likes to end each chapter with a "cliff hanger" and then change the pov for the next chapter. I guess I will get used to that!

message 22: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments I hadn't noticed the cliffhanger thing so much; I guess on audio I don't pay so much attention to chapter breaks. I do notice the POV change though, and I find that I really like it. It relieves the tension for me. Some of the characters' stories are a little bleak, at least in the beginning, and switching to someone else helps me keep going. Plus, I find myself surprised when he goes back to a character whose involvement in the story I thought had ended. I'll say more in the spoiler thread.

Ann wrote: "After reading chapters one and two as Kindle samples, and finishing chapter three on audio tonight I will make a non spoiler comment that it appears Cronin likes to end each chapter with a "cliff h..."

message 23: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments Chapter 3 sure was long. One thing I'm not liking so far with a nook you can't see the end of the chapter. And when you like to end at end of chapters with long ones it's not fun. I'm trying so hard not to keep looking at what pages it's on because with one page on a nook lasting awhile at times it is slow going. I'm up to chapter 4 finally. I'm hoping I'll get to read some today at some point.

message 24: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments i finished this morning. withholding my comments until you all finish ;)

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Goodness Sherry:
Doing the audio, I am probably weeks away from finishing!
Sherry wrote: "i finished this morning. withholding my comments until you all finish ;)"

message 26: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Sherry wrote: "i finished this morning. withholding my comments until you all finish ;)"

Sherry, is it too hard to chime in on the earlier spoiler threads? that's too bad if you have to wait till we're done to say anything!

message 27: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Sherry wrote: "i finished this morning. withholding my comments until you all finish ;)"

Sherry, is it too hard to chime in on the earlier spoiler threads? that's too bad if you have to wait til..."

it is and it isn't. i wasn't really paying attention the chapter numbers so i don't want to say something that might not have happened at a particular point, know what i mean?
i had a few "aha" moments where things came together for me, so that was good. over all, it was an ok book for me. not my favorite genre, so not sure i'll read the next books. i just found out last week that this is apparently the first in a trilogy.

message 28: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I'm only starting (I already started a few pages in) chapter 4 so it will be awhile before I get to the place I feel okay reading the posts.

message 29: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Sherry wrote: "i just found out last week that this is apparently the first in a trilogy.
..."

Oh yuk. I'm liking it a little more than you but I'm not up for two more books.

message 30: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Sherry wrote: "
it is and it isn't. i wasn't really paying attention the chapter numbers so i don't want to say something that might not have happened at a particular point, know what i mean?..."

Yeah, I do. I was hoping you could maybe follow our lead and only comment on what we bring up, but that might be hard since that would result in lots of "me too" posts without your really being able to say too much about your reaction, as you know a lot more.

message 31: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Donnajo wrote: "I'm only starting (I already started a few pages in) chapter 4 so it will be awhile before I get to the place I feel okay reading the posts."

Yeah, DJ, we started out tiptoing around plot points but now we are into full-out spoilers (but only for the relevant Chapters in the topic). I have been posting Spoiler Alerts since I know Ann is reading them with one eye open. If she can skip around my last three or four posts she will be okay. It does remind one of how annoying it is not to be able to mark individual posts unread, though. I was prepared to mark all the new ones unread if I came across anything majorly spoilerish, since I'm not quite finished with Part One, but I did okay.

message 32: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Sherry wrote: "
it is and it isn't. i wasn't really paying attention the chapter numbers so i don't want to say something that might not have happened at a particular point, know what i mean?..."
..."

i definitely can comment on what you all post, no problem. i worry more about posting something that hasn't happened yet if i start commenting on my own..lol

message 33: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments I have the opposite problem from Sherry. I am too far behind to read the spoiler posts now. I'll hope to catch up enough mid week at least far enough into part one to read a few more.

message 34: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Ann (and anyone else proceeding more slowly with The Passage), I went "silent" from about Chapter 4 to about Chapter 11 or so for the same reason. The posts will be as relevant when you get to them, and if you post your own responses those of us past that point will be sure to pick them up and respond, just as Sherry is doing with us now!

I just finished Part One so I suspect I will be absent from Part Two posts until I get well into it.

Ann wrote: "I have the opposite problem from Sherry. I am too far behind to read the spoiler posts now. I'll hope to catch up enough mid week at least far enough into part one to read a few more."

message 35: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I have to say I'm not keeping notes this time where I do when I read a book with Ann. But with the nook it's alittle harder to do that or even go back if when the time comes so by the time I do get to where I'll read the posts I forget what I want to say with most of the chapters. I'll try to get back with the notes but it's a pain when I do that. (too much like school). Anyway, one more thing I miss aol boards for.
I'll try and read alittle more tonight but really tired. Not a beach day today and house full tonight.

message 36: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments I finished two chapters today but have a long way to go to get through part one and the first 14 chapters. I am just starting chapter 8. It is a compelling book to listen to, though rather bleak so far.

message 37: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I was into it yesterday and what happened was it was down in power. that is what happens from not charging on the weekend and turning it on but just doing alot of nothing during the weekend on it. It took forever for it to charge to full again. I did download the app to the mac but haven't figured out how to get the book there and still have it on the nook yet. All it keeps bringing up is the instructions and I haven't figured out how to get the book I want to read there yet. I know I'm close to the end of chapter 4 because I looked to see what page chapter 5 starts.

message 38: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments I posted some Part one notes on that 'The Passage' thread, please be warned that my comments go all the way to the end of chapter 14 if you haven't finished it yet.
The book took a while to set up - and I have a feeling more set-up may be to come as I still have a lot of questions, but it has caught me up in the story. I have notes specific to each chapter separately if anyone wants to speak to a tighter focused point in the book more directly. ;)

message 39: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Ooh, I'd better get over there an see those posts! Posts have been few and far between over there, I think Sherry has run out of steam, LOL. I've gone a bit ahead of where I last posted and have to go back and match the chapters to the topics so I can post. I found it helpful to summarize where the part wound up, hope that isn't too spoilerish over there. It helped me when I came back later to post new stuff or respond to posts, so I'd be reminded of where I shouldn't go beyond.

Ann wrote: "I posted some Part one notes on that 'The Passage' thread, please be warned that my comments go all the way to the end of chapter 14 if you haven't finished it yet.
The book took a while to set up..."

message 40: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ooh, I'd better get over there an see those posts! Posts have been few and far between over there, I think Sherry has run out of steam, LOL. I've gone a bit ahead of where I last posted and have ..."

lol, carol. i did post some thoughts for the end of the book but nothing as detailed as ann's thoughts (which i love reading). i probably should have paid better attention to the chapters when i was reading..lol

message 41: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I can't wait to read what is on the spoiler until chapter 15. I'm now starting 14 finally and it's a biggie. Page 215-232. At this point I feel like this book will never end. And I can say most likely if it wasn't a nook I was reading and a regular book It might be going faster. I seem to get tired reading the nook after awhile. Don't know why. So guess I should be taking breaks. Trying not to look at the page numbers because they take forever to change. I seem to think it's 5 nook pages to the point that it might change. Not sure I try and count them but some might go on longer.

message 42: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 01, 2010 02:17PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments I can't believe I'm almost done with The Passage. I'm about to listen to the PostScripts. What a ride this has been. I should have pushed harder to finish in August, but September just snuck up on me. Anyway, will post more on the Spoiler Board later.

message 43: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I can't believe "the summer" is over. ugh. Depressing and all that.
I only had 6 months finished in aug. what happened. Anyway I'm up to chapter 19 (and I did finish the fern michaels book too). the only reason I stopped reading the passage for tonight is my eyes are going bug eye.

message 44: by Ann (new)

I'll probably have to push hard to finish in September! I guess we'll have to comment on the back half of the book much later. :(

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I can't believe I'm almost done with The Passage. I'm about to listen to the PostScripts. What a ride this has been. I should have pushed harder to finish in August, but September just snuck up ..."

message 45: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I'm into chapter 21 and my eyes are going blurry. Is this book ever going to end. It's going back and forth from grabbing me to please let this chapter to be and move on already. From confusing to not confusing. Yet the book is calling me back again. I need a break of a nice calm read but the passage keeps calling me back again. So what is a girl to do I ask you this?

message 46: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Donnajo wrote: "So what is a girl to do I ask you this? ..."

You have no choice but to keep reading, DJ, lest you have that accursed song in your head eventually (you know which song I mean!!!)

message 47: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I did stop for the night. thank you Carol. Hope you are safe from the storm. my nephew is up in cape cod until saturday hope he will be okay unless they decided to go back to DC early.

message 48: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 03, 2010 01:32PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Yes,thank you DJ, it looks like Earl is taking a turn East and will hit Nantucket (hope your newphew isn't there) but the worst of it will avoid the mainland. Oh bother, looking out my window I see that it is raining. Oh well, it begins. Stay safe!

Donnajo wrote: "I did stop for the night. thank you Carol. Hope you are safe from the storm. my nephew is up in cape cod until saturday hope he will be okay unless they decided to go back to DC early."

message 49: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments Yes, he's up there to the middle of the week and the guy that owns the house came earlier in the week to board up and they made him take the boards off. them today he was going back to do it again. If they have to leave he knows someone more inland. My sister called and left him a message on his cell this morning to move inland and it's not a joke.

message 50: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14625 comments Leaving this comment for anyone who hasn't yet read the book and is on the fence. I recommend it. It is similar to The Stand, it is not as good as The Stand IMHO; but it is a compelling story and one that for those readers who like closure in their books, is a book that leaves story arcs hanging to lead to at least one more book or a trilogy (we have to hope anyway for those of us eager to know more)
I have lots of notes from over a hundred emails back and forth with DonnaJo so we (and Carol and Sherry and Marcy, etc.) are ready to discuss it chapter by chapter with anyone setting out on the journey. ;)

« previous 1