College Students! discussion

books, books, and more books! > Bookish Tattoos

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (last edited Aug 14, 2010 12:15PM) (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
On my blog the other day I was talking about bookish tattoos.

I don't have any tattoos but I found several tattoos related to some of my favorite books and several of the people commenting on the post told me about their bookish tattoos. It was really cool to hear about how creative some people were!

So, do you have any bookish tattoos? If not, if you were going to get one, what would it be of?

message 2: by Emily (last edited Aug 14, 2010 01:09PM) (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments I know someone already mentioned it on your blog, but Contrariwise is the best place for literary tattoos.

I am a huge tattoo fan. I have one right now, and about 3 others in the planning stages, just waiting for the funds to magically appear. None of them are literary at the moment, though one will be a quote if I can ever find one I like for more than five minutes. I'm not sure what literary quote I'd get a tattoo of, because my taste in books changes a lot. There are books I used to love that I really don't like now. There is one quote from Possession that I love with all of my heart. I'll post it when I get back from food.

Edit: Tasty food is done, and here is the quote. It might be a bit long for a tattoo, but I just love it.
"We must come to grief and regret anyway - and I for one would rather regret the reality than its phantasm, knowledge than hope, the deed than the hesitation, true life and not mere sickly potentialities."

message 3: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
I like that quote! That would be cool if you could get that but it might be long like you said!

message 4: by Adriana (last edited Aug 14, 2010 03:51PM) (new)

Adriana | 188 comments I've been planning on getting a tattoo that symbolizes my love of reading. I want mine to represent who I am so i thought about having a playfull looking monkey reading a book hanging from a branch and at the bottom of the tattoo i will incorporate some type of quote one from a book or one that I make up. It will be located at the bottom of my leg. I wonder how much that will cost. Good thing I know ppl that work at a tattoo shop i hope they give me a discount.

message 5: by Anna (last edited Aug 14, 2010 08:22PM) (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) It seems like I am always thinking about what tattoo I want...currently I am thinking about something along the lines of an old fashioned bookplate. I also like the idea of a silhouette of someone sitting against a tree reading. I don't think I could ever settle on a piece focused on a single book because, like Emily, my tastes are constantly changing.

message 6: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginajellybean) I love literary tattoos, and tattoos in general! I have a couple at the moment and plans for tons more, a couple of which are bookish - I really want Fawkes thr poenix from the Harry Potter books, becauseI think he means so much. I'm also a big nerd about Japanese culture so I'm planning on getting 'Don't Panic@ from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, but in Japanese - when I can find someone who can be relied on to translate it and not leave me with any swear words!

My next one is going to be a Mario one, though, definitely ;P

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) Love the Mario idea, what are you thinking it will be of?

message 8: by Rayna (last edited Aug 16, 2010 08:16PM) (new)

Rayna  (Poindextrix) (poindextrix) | 59 comments I love the idea of getting a bookish tattoo. I don't have any tattoos at the moment, but I have 2 possibilities (neither bookish though).
I just have to get over my needle issues and then make sure that whatever I decide on is something that I really want on my body for the rest of my life...

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments I love the Mario idea too. So cute! I know someone who has a ba-bomb tattoo and it is fabulous.

I also love the bookplate idea. I bet a really old vintage bookplate would look super cool right at the top of the spine, centered between the shoulder blades. Dang, now I want one.

I definitely need to get a tattoo for my love of reading. I'm just not sure what yet. Do I want a particular book, or something more general, like a bookplate or a person reading? I don't know. And where would I put it? Actually, I'd probably put it on my ribs or on the inside of my arm, right below the elbow joint. Those are always good looking places. Thought there is always the classic bicep tattoo. That never goes out of style. The problem is I want so many tattoos that I'm already running out of space!
My next big tattoo plan is a flock of Darwin Finches (one bird of each species) flying towards my right shoulder blade. After that I'll probably get some awesome old-school traditional style roses, a quote scrolling down my spine, and an anchor and bird on the tops of my feet. Also I need a pale blue dot somewhere, probably right above the quote, where the neck meets the back. I also need to get something for music, being a music major and all. Goodness, where am I going to get all of this money?

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I also love the bookplate idea. I bet a really old vintage bookplate would look super cool right at ..."

Thats exactly where I imagine it. Give me a few weeks and I'll have an entirely new idea though...

message 11: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginajellybean) Annashu wrote: "Love the Mario idea, what are you thinking it will be of?"

I've got a plain star outline that I'm not keen on any more, so I'm getting it coloured in yellow with some eyes :)

I love the bookplate too, when/if you get married you could have 'this book belongs to...' added :) (well I think it's cute!)

message 12: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (amazingact21) Emily- I love your finches tattoo idea. That sounds so cool!

I am actually going to get a bookish tattoo within the next month or so. I've had it planned out for a few months. I'm getting an open book that appears to have the pages flipping (if that makes any sense at all). And on the two pages showing, I'm going to put stars and crosses to incorporate my personal beliefs.

I plan on getting more of these books as I grow older, and add new chapters to my life. If I ever have kids, I'll maybe put their birthdays on the pages, and I thought about getting a small closed book with my cat's name on for when she passed, because she has an incurable disease and will go in a few years.

The idea sounds really generic when it's typed out, but I had an artist sketch it out, and it looks a lot better than it sounds.

message 13: by Rayna (new)

Rayna  (Poindextrix) (poindextrix) | 59 comments Alicia - that sounds really nice. Would you be able/willing to post pictures? I love looking at images of tattoos, and also just book-related images in general.
Actually, I guess the plea for pictures goes out to anyone with at tattoo or sketch...

message 14: by Tami (last edited Dec 06, 2010 10:42AM) (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
how do you post a picture?

message 15: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments I got my first ink 3 years ago and have been dying for more since! I love the idea of a "bookish" piece- the thought never crossed my mind.
I am currently looking into something in memory of my two friends who have passed away. I would love to incorporate both into one so as not to have too much, and spare my mother, just a little!