Book Club discussion

Favorite place to write/create?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by John (last edited Aug 14, 2010 11:33AM) (new)

John Cicero | 71 comments Mod
What or where is your favorite place to write / create?

For me, I really enjoy coming down to my office and kicking my feet up on my desk and diving into my books. I find I get more into the zone if my feet are up and my laptop on my lap.

What works for you?

John

message 2: by Aloha (new)

Aloha My favorite place is my office where I can close the door and be left alone. I also have everything there for comfort, books, TV, computer, etc.

message 3: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ In my bed, at the kitchen table, in the dining room, while I'm watching TV … anywhere that's convenient. :D

message 4: by Rae (new)

Rae Lori (rae_lori) | 4 comments When I feel like writing by hand, I love to write on my bed while watching tv or listening to music. If I feel like typing, I like being at my desk typing up a storm, also while listening to music or watching tv hehe. I like having different things going on while I work. :-)

message 5: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 2 comments early morning in my car, i know its weird but i'm 22 and busy, so i'm still finding my rhythm

message 6: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Galstere (ThenewAmericanPsycho) | 2 comments but i love to write in my car starting at 5am, i dont know why, i just do

message 7: by T.K. (new)

T.K. Richardson | 1 comments Hi everyone! I'm new here, so I'll introduce myself first. I'm the author of a new YA novel Return the Heart. I love books, history, and writing - of course. So it's nice to meet all of you.

My favorite place to write is at my desk, but I've been known to pull over at the side of the road and scribble on the back of a receipt just so I didn't lose the thought.:)

message 8: by Josie (new)

Josie Brown (josiebrown) | 1 comments I hate flying--but when I'm up in the air, I can' write for the whole 5 hours it takes me to get from coast-to-coast. (It also helps me zone out the bumps. I guess it helps that I'm not online (reading loops like these, LOL!)

message 9: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) I write best in my garage office. It's tough in the winter, but we got a little space heater that I just stuff in my pants. Works great.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I love to write on my bed with my laptop, itunes, and water, while propped up with a bunch of pillows!

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Newton | 17 comments Coffee shop while listening to classical music off my laptop or iPod.

message 12: by Teric (new)

Teric Darken (tericdarken) | 12 comments I seem to be most creative when I'm either mowing or in the shower. A torrent of ideas will also flood my mind when the light is out and I'm attempting to go to sleep. I have to make a mad dash for the BlackBerry, to enter my thoughts, or A) I won't be able to rest, or B) I will forget details and thus be mad at myself.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Newton | 17 comments Teric wrote: "I seem to be most creative when I'm either mowing or in the shower. A torrent of ideas will also flood my mind when the light is out and I'm attempting to go to sleep. I have to make a mad dash f..."

I hear that. I often have great ideas when I can't write them down. Now, I carry pencil and paper with me at all times. What I find is that I have fewer ideas now. Out of the fire and into the frying pan...

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (behindonreading) I like anywhere where I can be alone. I don't like people peeking over my shoulder and reading everything I type until I'm ready to show them.

message 15: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) Hannah wrote: "I like anywhere where I can be alone. I don't like people peeking over my shoulder and reading everything I type until I'm ready to show them."

Me, too! My fingers stop moving the moment my hubby stands anyway near my desk. ;-)

message 16: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Alley (traceya) Without doubt my study - I have everything set up exactly as I need it, reference books close to hand and it's in a quiet corner of the house. My husband calls it a mess but I call it organized chaos :)

message 17: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) I can't write when there's activity around me. I need quiet to concentrate. My home office is my favorite place. I also like to write in bed, leaning against the head board with several pillows at my back.

Delaney Diamond

message 18: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 105 comments I write in my head, before I write on my computer. I have always written in my head first.

message 19: by Trenice (new)

Trenice In my dreams, if that makes sense.

message 20: by Claudia (last edited Dec 14, 2010 03:39PM) (new)

Claudia (claudialefeve) | 3 comments I usually write on the couch in front of the tv. For some reason music is too distracting when I write, but not the tv. The downside is having my husband interupt me...I cherish moments like right now: my husband napping on the other couch!

We have 3 spare bedrooms I can write in, plus a study, but I really like my couch!

message 21: by J.P. (new)

J.P. McNeill (mcneillink) | 21 comments My favorite place to write would have to be the library or a book store... I wrote most of my first novel there and I feel like when I'm there the masters are some how helping me out... I also wrote a large amount of another novel during my intro to psych class in college... (trust me it was a good use of my time. The rest of the class was in a coma of boredom)

message 22: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 105 comments I love the library.

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kolodziej (ejkolodziej) | 33 comments Normally it is on the couch or in my bedroom. But when i was in ireland I loved being outside and writing. the scenery to look at and everything was amazing.

message 24: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Nelson | 4 comments I have a office set up in the barn vet room. I love the quiet sounds of the barn. The sounds of the birds, cattle and horses milling about ad to my creative side.

message 25: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudialefeve) | 3 comments Dawn- I am very jealous of your writing space! I grew up on a small ranch in Texas and I miss the smell of hay (among other things)...

message 26: by Liz (new)

Liz Fichera (lizfichera) I love my office but when I get writer's block, I go to the Paradise Bakery, find a corner table, order a box of sugar chippers and a coffee, and usually crank out a chapter. I think it's the sugar. :-)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I write at at my desk, but I prefer writing in bed. The thing is...it has to be at night. If I can't write at night then I don't at all. The night to me always seems to have different possibilities and I seem to be more imaginative and creative at writing at night.

message 28: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 4 comments I love hearing where people write!! There's a few websites I frequent that have periodic features solely based on writing roooms, spaces, ambiance, etc

I with some of the other writers up here who said I love to write at coffee shops and bookstores; but that's actually a rarity for me. I have a laptop set up on a stand in front of our tv at home and for some reason, again like others said, the tv doesn't distract me like music does:)

message 29: by Rebeka (new)

Rebeka Montgomery (bexmontgomery) I love my office space for dreaming and plotting and general business, but when it comes to getting lots of words on the page, it's just unnatural somehow. I usually end up on my bed with my laptop on my lap or sprawled on my couch. I have managed to get a lot done in coffee shops, cafe's and book stores. (They usually have better coffee than me) I can put on my headphones and tune just about anything out and I actually end up being pretty productive simply because of the lack of simple distractions.

message 30: by Rachel (last edited Mar 18, 2011 11:21AM) (new)

Rachel (rachelkelman) | 19 comments My favorite place would have to be outside on the back porch with my laptop in my lap, feet proped up in a chair, headphones in my ears and coffee close at hand. I live in south Texas, spitting distance from Mexico, so the weather this time of year is perfect for writing outside.

message 31: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Hayes | 14 comments I like to write at my desk with classical music playing in the background.

message 32: by Bookrazy-Koi (new)

Bookrazy-Koi (Bookrazy) | 6 comments I write anywhere..whenever the idea and inspiration strikes... heck, i even write when i'm doing no.2! LOL

message 33: by Martin (new)

Martin Sharlow | 2 comments McDonald's. I like the atmosphere there. I also like having unlimited diet coke or coffee for my convenience only for a buck. =)

message 34: by Emily (new)

Emily (lafillebrigitte) good choice!

message 35: by Keisha (new)

Keisha Kellee (keishakellee) | 5 comments My favorite place used to be on a plane, since I flew so much, but now it's in my bedroom with 10 pillows stacked behind my back.

message 36: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Harper (stephentharper) | 4 comments I've got a great little home office where I do pretty much all my writing. But for some reason, as soon as I step into the shower, become soaking wet and unable to use a computer or a notebook... that's when all the best ideas just pop into my head.

message 37: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenwb) | 26 comments My home office, but when I need to get out of the house, Starbucks. There is something about the sound of milk frothing that puts me in a happy place.

message 38: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Harper (stephentharper) | 4 comments If there were waterproof computers and my wife would let me run the shower all day, I'd be the most prolific writer in the world. All good ideas arrive in the shower. Pretty sure about that.

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelkelman) | 19 comments Stephen wrote: "If there were waterproof computers and my wife would let me run the shower all day, I'd be the most prolific writer in the world. All good ideas arrive in the shower. Pretty sure about that."

Lol, ditto. Seems like all good ideas happen when I have no way to jot them down! I try to put 'em down as soon as I get a chance though; hoping my mind still holds the meat of what I was thinking about.

message 40: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Teric wrote: "I seem to be most creative when I'm either mowing or in the shower. A torrent of ideas will also flood my mind when the light is out and I'm attempting to go to sleep. I have to make a mad dash f..."

Exactly. I must keep a notebook beside my bed and attempt to write in the dark, as I am too lazy to turn on the lights. Plus my blind attempts are amusing in the morning.

message 41: by Robyn (new)

Robyn Sadler (robsad79) My desk is my bed. When I'm at work on my lunch, I'll sneak back to my car and write. Plus, shh, I write while on the phone with customers. :) Other places might be any place I take my netbook out and write.

message 42: by Michele (new)

Michele Richard (michele_richard) | 7 comments My Kitchen table is my fave. There's no TV or music other than what I play. No one hanugs in here so I get the pease I need.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

When I'm walking to work. I just daydream and ideas come flowing into my head. Fortunately I can remember them and then when I get home I go to the study and write them down.

message 44: by Terry (new)

Terry Odell (terryodell) | 38 comments Writing productivity: mostly at my PC at my desk; sometimes down on my laptop (Dropbox is good for being able to move back and forth). But there's also a lot of 'head writing' which can take place anywhere.

Terry
Terry's Place
Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

message 45: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne I'm a writer in high school, which means I hardly have my own space and definitely not my own laptop. I wish! So my favorite place to write (that's actually available) is the desk in the living room, before everyone gets home. I also hate when I feel like someone's reading what I'm typing, especially when I'm in the early stages of a book. When someone stands behind me I start scrolling through pages and editing stuff, I can't type new thoughts when someone's watching me.

If I had my choice though I'd take a laptop and sit at a park ^^

message 46: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Willis | 18 comments My home office rocks, but sometimes I need to get out for a change of scenery. There was a great coffee house down the road with a quiet upstairs area with lots of natural light, nice views out the many windows, comfortable seating, free Wifi, plenty of outlets . . . And then they went out of business after less than a year.

So I'm pretty much full-time back in my office, with cats on the desk and dogs at my feet. :)

message 47: by Shari (last edited Apr 17, 2011 12:00PM) (new)

Shari Richardson (shari_richardson) | 22 comments I have to get out of my house to write. I go to my local Starbucks where they know me so well they usually don't even ask me what I want to drink. I put my headphones on and work until I reach that magical stopping point of "If I write more, it will suck."

I also find that as long as I have my iPod, I can write between classes at work.

message 48: by Lainey (new)

Lainey Kennedy (ophelia-crane) | 2 comments Shari wrote: "I have to get out of my house to write. I go to my local Starbucks where they know me so well they usually don't even ask me what I want to drink. I put my headphones on and work until I reach that..."

That's me too! I much prefer to be out and about while writing. Sometimes I pop the headphones on sometimes I actually prefer the ambient sounds of the people. People watching between paragraphs is one of my favorite things. I find if I am at home by myself I get very angsty and depressed, but even just being around people even if I never talk to anyone is a great help!

My coffeehouse also knows exactly what I like to drink! Love that feeling!

message 49: by Snapdragon (new)

Snapdragon (snapdragons) I can write almost anywhere. I can write when it's quiet, but I can also write when life is going on around me, as long as it doesn't ask anything of me. I can focus on the noise and activity until it's gone taking me with it. That's when I'm in the flow. My favorite place to write is in the tub--in long hand, of course. The one place I can't seem to write is my office. I couldn't wait to have my own space and was sure having it would make all the differnece. When I got it, I found I didn't want it or need it--go figure.

message 50: by Paulette (new)

Paulette Jaxton | 9 comments A coffee shop or restaurant. The background noise seems to help me write, especially dialog. The coffee and noshes don't hurt the process either ;)

PJ

« previous 1