Babblers Who Read discussion

1 view
are we all reading things together??

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by tragicstud (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

tragicstud | 3 comments i must have missed a memo while i was out wearing (and rocking i might add) periwinkle. and if the answer to this is yes, are we reading both? are we asking questions or meeting at airports in each others countries to discuss?

message 2: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Heather | 30 comments Mod
LOL, I don't think we've actually settled on a book to read together, but that's a great idea! Anyone have any recommendations?

message 3: by Lideola (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Lideola | 3 comments how about one of us picks a book at a time, every month?

message 4: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

I nominate The Meaning of Everything, The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary, as many of us have it on our to read list, and it seems appropriate for our Babble group!

My second choice would be Middlesex.

Thoughts?

message 5: by FranMag (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

FranMag | 16 comments I'll second The Meaning of Everything, The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary. This would be a great book to start out with.

message 6: by renny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

renny feld | 4 comments i like the idea of either one heather

message 7: by Scrabbler (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Scrabbler | 10 comments I agree with the OED book--sounds interesting and perfect for Babblers and word lovers.

message 8: by FranMag (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

FranMag | 16 comments If we agree on a book, can we have the reading/discussion start at the beginning of the month? that way everyone that wants to participate will have a chance to get a copy and we have time to get the word out on the chosen book.

message 9: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

So we hold off on Meaning of Everything until October? Wahh! LOL! (It's just that I'm about done with my current book and am ready for a new one now.) Here are my thoughts on organization:

The person who picks the current book nominates the next person to pick. (Fran, I guess I picked this one, and am nominating you to pick next!) That person can always refuse of course, if they can't think of a book.

I can start a thread of books picked and the people who picked them so we can keep track.

For the book we are reading, perhaps we should have threads for specific chapters, so people won't get spoiled? So say, TMOE (The Meaning of Everything) chapters 1-5, chapters 6-10, etc. People could also start topic-specific threads on the book. Does this sound too anal?

Has anyone been in a "real" book club before? How is it organized? Any thoughts to share about how we should do it? Am I overanalyzing things, or does this all sound ok?

message 10: by Lbd (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Lbd | 13 comments Keep in mind slow readers...as well as those who may not consume books of a particular genre as fast as others. So the spoiler threads are going to be important. OR... you might have a thread just for that book and those who are reading it or have read it can chime in as they feel.

message 11: by Doren (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Doren | 6 comments I'm in a real book club, actually two different ones right now. Book club # 1 just met tonight. Several of us brought books that we recommend, talked them over, lobbied for them, etc. We choose by consensus, and we decided our books for the next five months. Book club #2... we just chat at the end of each meeting and see who has an idea for next month that appeals to the group. In each, there is one person who sort of keeps track of things, reminds us of dates and whose house, etc. I think the idea of "tag--you're it" works just fine here though. Do we have a date by which the book should be read and discussed???

message 12: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

I'm not sure how I feel about having to wait until a certain date to discuss the book! Perhaps we could set the goal of October 1st for this first book to be finished by, but if people finish early or want to comment while in the middle of reading, that would be ok? Or say October's book is The Meaning of Everything, with no real "date" just all of October to read and discuss (and beyond of course, if wanted). It's a little different online I think, as we won't have a set date where we all get together at somebody's house for coffee and chat! We can just pop in anytime to discuss, so those who finish faster might want to talk about it earlier, and those who finish slower, later, etc.

As for spoilers, that's why I was thinking of chapter specific threads. Or if there were topic specific threads, we should treat it like they do on tv/movie forums, and alert each other to possible spoilers like this: ****SPOILER****

I just finished my book that I forced myself through, and decided I am not starting #3 in the trilogy. So off to Barnes and Noble today! I'm going to get a few books on my to read list, and am very excited!

Oh, and I can keep track of everything in another thread for us.

message 13: by Eieios (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Eieios | 2 comments I think these are great ideas. I am always looking for new things to read, and am interested in what others think of books I have read. So it sounds like TMOE for October with spoiler alerted threads with Heather as moderator. That gives me time to finish the 5th Gabaldon book (992 pages!) and get TMOE. We wordies should like this one!

message 14: by Jill (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Jill (jillibus) | 4 comments Didn't someone recommend a book with a title something like "I Don't Want to Join a Book Club"?

message 15: by LizSark (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

LizSark | 10 comments I'm in a 'real' book club too. We take turns alphabetically to nominate books. Each month we meet and whoever's turn it is brings in a choice of books (or the details about them). We usually bring in 4 or 5 books. Then that person reads out what each of her choices are about and then we all vote for which we would prefer to read. If we disagree we talk it out. We each pay £7 GBP a month and out of that money we buy several copies of the book we have chosen and we share those around. If there is any money left over and we are all interested in any of the other books discussed that night then we sometimes buy one copy of that as well. At Christmas all remaining money from the year is fetched out of the bank and we go for a slap up meal somewhere together!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm all for The Meaning of Everything. so, we start reading Oct 1 and discuss all month?

message 17: by FranMag (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

FranMag | 16 comments Jill, that book is on one of Jacula's shelves.

Heather, read something quick before October 1st!

message 18: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Once we know what the book is for that month, I assume we can read it at any time! I got my copy of TMOE today, along with Middlesex to read as well. I'll just hold off on posting about TMOE until October.

I wish there was a poll option on here. I think there might be one on my blog, so if the person who is selecting the book isn't sure between several, or wants to get a group consensus, let me know and I can do up a poll for us.

message 19: by Yoink (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Yoink | 7 comments I haven't got the time to get this book or read it right now or in the foreseeable future but I'll read the reviews and discussions nonetheless. Hope you all enjoy it.

message 20: by FranMag (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

FranMag | 16 comments Since we don't see each other face to face, there is less pressure to discuss or comment. I think everyone should just do it at their leisure and not feel pressured to participate.

Let us know when you will have time Yoink, and you can pick a book for everyone at that time.

message 21: by Doren (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Doren | 6 comments I get no sense of pressure here. We are all simply interested in reading a common book and posting our reactions. If someone is moved to react to another's postings, that can make for discussion of a sort. I'm looking forward to reading TMOE when it arrives, and seeing what everyone else has to say about it.

message 22: by Circe (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Circe | 1 comments Okay, okay...This wasn't on my list, but I'm in. Instead of reading it tho, I think I will request the audio from the library....they have the unabridged version and I spend way too many hours in the car!!

message 23: by Stidmama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Stidmama | 5 comments I "vote" that the book will be read in October, I have time to get it by then and will have less pressure in my real life by then also. For sure I am not reading anything substantial this month!

I LUUURVE feather's idea of chapter threads, so we can post and read just about the bits we have already read, because some of us have more time for reading than others. Also, this will let people who read it later participate!

Looking forward to Daniel's synopsis of the book, too...

message 24: by Chic (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Chic | 1 comments I just ordered this book (The Meaning of Everything) yesterday. I will arrive within the week. so Oct. is fine for me and Heather's format of random comments that may lead to a discussion is fine for me also..

message 25: by Hetty (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Hetty Clews | 3 comments I seem to be getting left behind. I had no idea there was a consensus that we read the same book ("The Meaning of Everything", which in any case I've already read). In fact there is such a welter of email mesages that I doubt I'll ever have time to read a book again. I'm sorry to wet blanket you all, but this kind of processing is not for me. I'd rather read books. Hetty

message 26: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

I know what you mean about the email messages. Every time I click on "unsubscribe to group digest" but then whenever I make a post, I'm signed back up and get the emails again. Plus there are all the messages for people to be friends. Hetty, I understand if you don't want to do this site or the book club, that's fine...no hard feelings or wet blankets at all!

Anyone who is a member of goodreads does not need to be a member of the book club...that's actually one of the reasons I wanted to move the book club to a different message board aside from the formatting issues. I would hate for people to not be a part of goodreads just because they don't want to be in a book club. I see this site as more of a discussion of books in general and a great place to get ideas on new books to read.

message 27: by Lbd (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Lbd | 13 comments I'm not good at having to read what others are. Guess that's why I didn't like reading classes very much. I read at my own pace and sometimes that's fast other times it's a snails pace. I'm glad the book club has so many interested folks. I'll look in from time to time, but actually, this book doesn't excite me much.

message 28: by Heather (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

I'll make sure to keep the book list updated here too, so any who want to hop in on certain months can!