The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 15.10 - Second Chances

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Sep 11, 2010 05:52AM) (new)

Sandy | 16274 comments Mod
15.10 - SECOND CHANCES
For those who get frustrated when they find “the perfect book” for a task, but they’ve already found another “perfect book” for that task…………
A. Read a book which fits another task from this challenge. The task must be one with some restrictions on the book chosen – for instance, you couldn’t use a task that only specifies a number of pages to be read. REQUIRED: When you post, please indicate which other task your book fits.
AND
B. Read a book from the Fall Group Reads nominations that was not selected as the Fall Group Reads in its category. You may choose a book from any of the categories – it doesn’t have to be from the same category as the Group Reads book you chose (but it can be, if you’d like). The three books that were selected as Group Reads are not eligible.

message 2: by Sandy (new)

placeholder

message 3: by Sandy (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Question about part A:

How will the tasks like the list randomizer or drawing the cards or dice work? Do we go by what we got the first time OR can we go through the process again to get a different result??

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Cindy AL wrote: "Question about part A:

How will the tasks like the list randomizer or drawing the cards or dice work? Do we go by what we got the first time OR can we go through the process again to get a diffe..."

Good question! To stay with the spirit of the task - a second book to fit a task already filled - we need to stay with what we rolled, drew, etc., the first time. If it's a two card, dice, whatever task, either one of the two you got the first time can be used.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelmanwill) | 60 comments This might be a silly question, but I don't participate in the Group Reads so I don't know where to look for part B. Can you post a link or directions? Thanks!

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Rachel (HomeBetweenPages) wrote: "This might be a silly question, but I don't participate in the Group Reads so I don't know where to look for part B. Can you post a link or directions? Thanks!"

If you click on "polls" on the right side of the home page, you'll see the polls for the 3 categories of group reads - that lists the 10 nominees for each category. Since the polls aren't closed yet, you can't be absolutely sure which 3 books will be selected, but you can see which books have been nominated.

message 8: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments If you go to the polls on the right-hand side of the screen you can find where the group reads are voted for.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelmanwill) | 60 comments Meghan wrote: "If you go to the polls on the right-hand side of the screen you can find where the group reads are voted for."

Sandy wrote: "Rachel (HomeBetweenPages) wrote: "This might be a silly question, but I don't participate in the Group Reads so I don't know where to look for part B. Can you post a link or directions? Thanks!"

..."

message 10: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Would using books from the Fall Equinox question be acceptable or is that not restrictive enough? (2 books with same amount of letters)

message 11: by Sandy (new)

chucklesthescot wrote: "Would using books from the Fall Equinox question be acceptable or is that not restrictive enough? (2 books with same amount of letters)"

Yes, you can use a book that has the same number of characters that you used for the Fall Equinox task. This only works, though, if you've already done the Fall Equinox task when you do this one.

The Fall Equinox task would not be specific enough otherwise, since you could just use any number of characters in a one book task! But, if you've done the Fall Equinox task, so committed to a specific number of characters, a third book with the same number can be used here.

message 12: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot I'll make sure I do the FE task first. This is my first seasonal challenge and I'm desperate to make sure I do everything right! Thanks for your help Sandy!

message 13: by Sandy (new)

chucklesthescot wrote: "I'll make sure I do the FE task first. This is my first seasonal challenge and I'm desperate to make sure I do everything right! Thanks for your help Sandy!"

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to do right is to have fun with this!

message 14: by Leigh Ann (new)

Leigh Ann (leighannflyingonsilverwings) If I found two books from the bookshelf on task 15.1 that would work can I use one here?

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Leigh Ann wrote: "If I found two books from the bookshelf on task 15.1 that would work can I use one here?"

sure

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments For second chances, for task 25.4 I rolled a 1 & 6. So could I read 500 kids books with barefeet on them? Since I am reading 500 childrens picture books with dinosaurs on them for the task itself?

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Sarah (Mood Reader) wrote: "For second chances, for task 25.4 I rolled a 1 & 6. So could I read 500 kids books with barefeet on them? Since I am reading 500 childrens picture books with dinosaurs on them for the task itself?"

yes.

message 18: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot Sandy wrote: "chucklesthescot wrote: "I'll make sure I do the FE task first. This is my first seasonal challenge and I'm desperate to make sure I do everything right! Thanks for your help Sandy!"

The MOST IMP..."

Oh I'm already having lots of fun! It's been great chatting to other members, searching out books for tasks, making tickers and getting some order into my chaotic reading! I'm so glad I found this group!

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7753 comments my problem isn't finding a book to fit here, its narrowing down the choices of books! so far I have at least 6 that I can fit in here...haha!

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather | 386 comments May I use 5.4 as a task that I have 2 books for? I have lots of authors that have names I'm glad are not my name!

Heather in KS

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Heather KS wrote: "May I use 5.4 as a task that I have 2 books for? I have lots of authors that have names I'm glad are not my name!

Heather in KS"

Sure!