Urban Fantasy discussion

UF BOOK CHAT > Rowan Gant Investigations by M.R. Sellars

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JK (new)

JK (eimajtl) Harm None: A Rowan Gant Investigation

Okay, so I'm halfway through the first book and I'm wondering is the series gets better than this one. It's the author's first book and the first book in the series and I'm usually pretty forgiving in those cases, but I don't know if I can finish this one without knowing it gets better.

The language is just so awkward and weird and the way the characters talk isn't consistent. That and the main couple of this series just had a miscarriage and they're not acting like it's anything to worry about. They just lost their frickin' kid and they don't care.

The husband, the main character, just asked his wife, "How are you doing with the whole miscarriage thing?" Who in the world would ask their wife, the carrier of their child, that question like that? When you consider the way the characters have been built, it's even more absurd!

The whole book is worded weirdly with dialog and randomly awkward descriptions of things. If the entire series is like this, I can't read it on - it's to the point where I am considering just dropping this one in the middle of it.

So, has anyone here read more than the first couple and does the author keep up with the same writing style?

message 2: by Joseph (last edited Aug 13, 2010 05:06PM) (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 139 comments I enjoyed the first three in the series due to the subject matter, but to be honest I did not care for the direction the storyline went from there.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (NeedSun) | 4 comments I have read nine books in this series and did find it painful and ackward at times. Books six, seven and eight are a trilogy within the series and I enjoyed these the most.

The thing with this series is that I imagine it realistically depicts what a witch's life would be like.

If anyone knows of a more realistic fiction book about witches, I would love to read it.

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 139 comments Joanne wrote: "If anyone knows of a more realistic fiction book about witches, I would love to read it..."

Joanne, Isobel Bird wrote a YA series that is a great explanation of the year and a day study of three high school girls learning what it means and how to be a Witch. The series is title Circle of Three and starts with So Mote It Be.
Another pretty good YA series is the Sweep series by Cate Tiernan that starts with Book of Shadows.
You might also like Bell, Book, and Murder: The Bast Mysteries by Rosemary Edghill and Murder At Witches' Bluff by Silver RavenWolf. They're both mysteries that are focused on Wiccan main characters.

message 5: by JK (last edited Aug 15, 2010 11:33AM) (new)

JK (eimajtl) Huh, seems it's more of the same. I finished up the book - with a lot of skimming for the last third of the book. I like the idea Sellars has, but I just can't stand the writing. It's just horrible. I'm not sure I'll read anymore books in the series - especially since it looks like each book is about him catching a killer. I need more variation than just tracking down and stopping murderers.

There's a small chance I'll read another book, but... I don't know, it's a very slim chance.

My review is finished for the book too, if anyone wants to see more in depth thoughts on it... sort of in depth at least. :D

message 6: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 241 comments I read one of the Rosemary Edghill mysteries and found it superficial. There has to be more for me than witty dialogue.

I just recently decided to check out a Rowan Gant book with a Paperback Swap credit which means I'm not investing very much.

I like paranormal mysteries (which is what this series is), so I may like this series better than you do, Jamie.

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (NeedSun) | 4 comments Thanks, Joseph. I will be checking into some of the series you recommended.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Harm None (other topics)
Murder at Witches' Bluff: A Novel of Suspense and Magick (other topics)
So Mote It Be (other topics)
Book of Shadows (other topics)
Bell, Book, and Murder: The Bast Mysteries (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rosemary Edghill (other topics)
Cate Tiernan (other topics)
Silver RavenWolf (other topics)
Isobel Bird (other topics)