The Mighty Pen Writing Club discussion

The Creative Process > Romance girls, romance

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 13, 2010 07:18AM) (new)

Now I get it. We all are a bit of a romantic. Or a lot, whatever. However, what is it that would make a story irresistible? Love the main lead? On the sidelines? Paranormal or plain old normal? Ass-kicking heroine or maiden in danger? Guy a badass? The one who has secrets? Cheesy or down to earth? (Bodylotion with glitter or without - just kidding, it's just a joke a friend of mine said, no offence Twilight fans). And which is the right amount of romance anyway?
Say whatever you believe needs to be said. But please, PLEASE saty on topic. (We keep straying and in the end we still won't have our answer).

message 2: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess I really love guy who are loyal and devoted to the girl, and when a girl doesnt have another boy waiting in the wings.
1 boy. 1 girl.
Surely that is the most perfect relationship of them all?

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) yeah!
generally I do NOT like love triangles, but probably because they're not written very well. Some though like Suzanne Collins really create a go-either-way scenario and THAT is exciting.

I typically don't care how the boy or girl act towards other characters AS LONG AS they treat each other kindly. I hate love interests who are disrespectful and have an arrogant attitude to the person they're supposedly in love with. Sure, vanity can be "in character," but the person you're in love with should be off-limits from abuse. :P

oh and there's one particular..well no. There's ONLY ONE love-story scenario that I write, but it's so ultra specific, I still have enough variety in my different love stories. But it's kind of embarrassing :S

PS - right now, all but 1 of my books/series have some kind of romantic aspect/love story. None of them are the center of the story, though.

message 4: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess Ive got 1 trilogy
2 novels
and a short story collection.

3 of them have a romance. Only 1 of them revolves around it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree on that Jillian. That kind of plot line is simply waaay too unrealistic. Also about love triangles people would (at times) disagree. The third wheel can sometimes be usufel because: a) like Jillian said, love is built over time, and b) because it's sometimes what it takes for the hero to realise what he wants and stand up for it. Do I make any sense? What I REALLY hate about them is when the heroine has decided which guy she wants to be with the most and yet she keeps the other on the leash. I mean, give him space girl!

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) I never try to make the love story the main point, because when I read, those are the stories I stay away from. MAINLY because if romance or the love story is the #1 factor or one of the major factors of a series, authors typically do this really annoying thing where they:

SHAKE
THINGS
UP.

And yeah, sure, there are no guarantees that characters who fall in love will stay in love or get their HEA...HOWEVER: as a reader, I get the impression that characters are meant for each other, so why is it that I have to sit through hundreds of pages of miscommunication and jealousy/paranoia, and other factors? Authors a lot of times create characters that go together right off the bat, and then they throw in a boy or a girl to "shake things up" and that irritates me like finding ants in your house after the exterminator's just left. It's so tawdry to me to have SHAKE THINGS UP scenarios. If there are "trouble in paradise" scenarios, they need to make sense to the story and to the characters. Some boys&girls just fall in love and STAY IN LOVE. And yeah, that may not be very interesting, but that's why there are other things going on. But it's hard for me to believe that a boy who is supposedly head-over-heels in love with a girl would suddenly turn around and take notice of another girl who's just been thrown into the story to SHAKE THINGS UP.

Ugghh! There may be charries like that out there, but I don't tell their stories.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

And that's good. And in any case, I believe that it a story needs something to shake it up then clearly some mistake was made before if it couldn't proceed without some annoying obstacle.
That's why usually I think that a story is better not be revolved solely on romance.

message 8: by Shush231 (new)

Shush231 | 31 comments I would prefer a story in which the couple face obsticals together & yeah maybe one of them slips or they can't handle their battles & fall apart but i also like it when they fight each other for a while in the beginning & then they Learn to be together bcos it's never easy to join two lives together no matter how well u think u know them, I've gone off topic I think romance is critical part of the story! & I agree with Amielia I hate "shake-ups"!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

You didn't get off topic at all! It is part of the discussion!
:)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

i love when the guy likes the girl a lot cuz there are so many books where the girl is madly in love with the guy, so i like when they switch it around! plus i love a hint of danger :P

message 11: by Shush231 (new)

Shush231 | 31 comments Catherine wrote: "i love when the guy likes the girl a lot cuz there are so many books where the girl is madly in love with the guy, so i like when they switch it around! plus i love a hint of danger :P"

I like that too your so right most books have a chick running after the guy these days!

Thanks alkyoni ;p

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

You are welcome. :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Shush231 wrote: "Catherine wrote: "i love when the guy likes the girl a lot cuz there are so many books where the girl is madly in love with the guy, so i like when they switch it around! plus i love a hint of dang..."

most books?? thats real life too!! haha which is y it is so sad and frustrating, things need to switch around a bit if u ask me

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

And shows it! I'm not talking about serenading or something, but come on, they can't expect us to sniff it in the wind!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

AMEN!
Gosh what i wouldnt do for that..

message 16: by Jess (last edited Aug 23, 2010 08:05PM) (new)

Jess | 104 comments I dunno, I hate it when it's so purely one-sided either way. It's much better when they naturally fall in love than when it's one person's "hard work" or something like that.

Also, yes I like when the guy shows it, but not when he acts like a girl. I like my guys guys!

message 17: by Shush231 (new)

Shush231 | 31 comments Catherine wrote: "Shush231 wrote: "Catherine wrote: "i love when the guy likes the girl a lot cuz there are so many books where the girl is madly in love with the guy, so i like when they switch it around! plus i lo..."

Loool yeah things do need to change but not too much,
I agree with Jess! I like my men manly! ;p

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol yes manly men all the way!!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yes, God that too. It becomes completely unrealistic when they go all girly on us. I've never met a guy who gets like that when in love.

message 20: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) Oh, I like romance. In some books, I just try to find a little romance in it. But I never really read books that are mostly romance, I read other categories, like adventure or fantasy, just a little romance is okay for me.
For me, I like cute and short romance that make me say "aww,"

message 21: by AnQi (last edited Oct 23, 2010 08:12PM) (new)

AnQi (anqiyu) | 16 comments I like romances when in the beginning, the two characters generally don't like each other, but then the boy realizes abruptly that he actually likes her- and then starts pursuing her, in the romantic sense. The girl doesn't realize at first, but then starts seeing little changes in the boy- I don't know, I think it builds your anticipation and suspense this way, so you're on the edge of your seats when they finally figure out they're meant for each other!

I don't really like it when the girl goes for the bad guys- you know, the ones that are forbidden to them. This reappears so many times in books its getting cliche. I think it's okay if, you know, their parents had forbidden it- but something in the paranormal sense is just too cheesy now.

message 22: by Taliah (new)

Taliah Lagons | 8 comments I like romance in my novels, but I don't like love. All too often, the "L-word" just makes all the charaters stupid and cheezy, and the main plot gets off track.

message 23: by Maggi (new)

Maggi | 73 comments I LUV romance! That's y I'm such a total Twi-Hard (Die hard Twilight Fan!) In my series I sprinkled a bit of Romance in there! <3

message 24: by AnQi (new)

AnQi (anqiyu) | 16 comments Most books that I read kind of have 'fake romances' so to say- the characters never seem to really fall in love, so when they say 'I love you' it sounds really ingenuine. Sometimes, though, you stumble upon the book that actually has real romance in it, which is really enlightening and beautiful.

message 25: by Maggi (new)

Maggi | 73 comments ya, I really don't know what luv feels like so I can't put it on paper.

message 26: by Lynda (new)

Lynda (okalrelsrv) Angel wrote: "Most books that I read kind of have 'fake romances' so to say- the characters never seem to really fall in love, so when they say 'I love you' it sounds really ingenuine. Sometimes, though, you s..."

I wonder how often 'fake romances' appear because agents told authors they had to have a romantic interest in their story. I am glad to see evidence 'fake' shows with discerning readers. :-)

message 27: by Maggi (new)

Maggi | 73 comments I enjoy reading romances that feel real /w a large amount of intensity. That's y I think Stephenie Meyer is sp popular.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Some though would argue that the way they fall in love is so completely unbelievable that it ends uo being unrealistic.
Still, I understand the bit about intensity.

message 29: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) | 42 comments I like having a romance between a guy and girl who have known each other for a long time and are friends. Maybe not BEST friends (although that's adorable), but they know each other well.
All this crap with "love at first sight" or whatever is ridiculous. Nobody falls in love at first sight. Nobody. They're attracted to each other, maybe, but they don't fall in love. -_-

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree. Mostly.
For example, when in the YA it's a case of reincarnated lovers, it does make some sense. Though I think it is still just a tad bit too far fetched...

message 31: by Maggi (new)

Maggi | 73 comments toe-dally! i think it soooooooooooo cute when old friends wind up 2gether!