Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Archived Threads > *September 2010 Group Read*

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (last edited Aug 13, 2010 06:25AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
Would anyone be interested in joining me for a September group read? I was thinking of reading Zoe by TA Ford , Rock Star (Love Spectrum Romance) by Roslyn Hardy Holcomb , or No Ordinary Love (Love Spectrum Romance) by Angela Weaver . However, if others are interested, we could compile a list from our tbr piles, then create a poll to vote on which book we'd like to read. Once we've decided on a book, I'd be happy to start the thread, and post some discussion points/ questions.

message 2: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6617 comments Mod
Michelle, is the first book by T A Ford interracial? My library doesn't carry it nor do they carry Angela Weaver's book.

message 3: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Hi Arch, Zoe by TA Ford is an ir historical from what I understand. I don't think my local library carries much IR romance either, but the ones I listed, are books that I've bought. We could try to find a book that everyone has better access too.

message 4: by Arch , Mod (new)

I don't own a lot of interracial bw/wm book. I have contacted my library's overdrive department to see what kind of interracial books they carry and if they don't carry any, if they can.

I have typed in some ebook authors name in our overdrive and they don't show up.

message 5: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

How does somebody get their local library to carry certain books? My local library here in Nashville doesn't seem to carry a lot of what I'd like to read.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
Michelle, I moved this to the group read discussions folder. Thanks for starting it!

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
I would love to participate in the future. I'm going to be too swamped in September. :(

message 8: by Arch , Mod (new)

Michelle, I could be wrong, but I don't think we could get the library to carry certain books, but my library has the interloan library option, where they can get a book for me from another library in the state where I live or even out of state.

message 9: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (last edited Aug 13, 2010 07:19AM) (new)

@ Danielle:
I know what you mean. I've decided to go back to school, and my classes start at the end of this month. I'm getting all nervous about it'll cut into my reading. Shame on me!

message 10: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

I started looking for IR books that would be easy for people to get their hands on. It's sad, but I think the best bet is to either purchase them online, or get them in some kind of electronic format. I was really disappointed after going to the bookstore today. I know not every book featuring an IR couple will say so, but still.... is it too much to ask for my local bookstores to carry a little more variety?!

message 11: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

When it comes to libraries and bookstores, how do they decide what to have in readily available stock? Is the decision based on local demand?

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user Hey, Michelle, at many libraries patrons can suggest a purchase. Sometimes they even have an online form for that purpose. I have suggested two purchases at my local library and in both cases, they bought them.

message 13: by Arch , Mod (new)

My library told me that I can suggest things as well. I don't know if they will buy it, but who knows.

message 14: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Well, its good to know that you can request your local library purchase a certain book. I'll have to check at my library tomorrow. Thanks for the info NU and Arch.

message 15: by Arch , Mod (new)

You are welcome Michelle.

message 16: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Michelle wrote: "When it comes to libraries and bookstores, how do they decide what to have in readily available stock? Is the decision based on local demand?"

Usually the publisher has a system in place where their sellers talk to bookstore and library book buyers into buying up an order to place on the shelves. Most times they can get a co-op in order (for bookstores) where they buy a piece of the shelves (sorta like real estate) to place their books. But if it's an epublisher or small press, they don't have as much influence or money as the big guys so most times their books don't get into stores unless readers request it or the authors themselves set it up with the sellers. Back in the day of independent bookstores they were much more open to selling hard to find books, but you are correct that most times you can request them to carry it. If bookstores and libraries get enough of a request, they'll usually sit up and listen.

message 17: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Rae wrote: "Michelle wrote: "When it comes to libraries and bookstores, how do they decide what to have in readily available stock? Is the decision based on local demand?"

Usually the publisher has a system ..."

Thanks for the info Rae!

message 18: by Bekah, Mod (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 113 comments Mod
I would LOVE to read Zoe, was just checking it out last night, but man is it EXPENSIVE!!!

message 19: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

I'm leaning towards Zoe too!

message 20: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Zoe!!!

If you guys read it, let me know. I so want to read this one again but haven't had time. This challenge will help me carve some out. :-)

message 21: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Michelle wrote: "Rae wrote: "Michelle wrote: "When it comes to libraries and bookstores, how do they decide what to have in readily available stock? Is the decision based on local demand?"

Usually the publisher..."

YW! The whole system is nutty and it keeps changing like every day. The good news is that books that were hard to find way back when are getting easier to find and connect both authors and readers. I have faith it'll get easier for both groups as the days go on. :-)

message 22: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Bekah wrote: "I would LOVE to read Zoe, was just checking it out last night, but man is it EXPENSIVE!!!"

OOh! A Kindle version is cheaper though. :-D

message 23: by Arch , Mod (new)

I don't have Zoe, but you guys go ahead and read it for September. I need to write more to my story anyway.

message 24: by Tina (new)

Tina | 22 comments I'd participate if we read Zoe. I read another TA Ford book and really enjoyed her writing. I'd love to follow it up with another books of hers.

message 25: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

So, it looks like we're leaning towards Zoe. I'm really excited to read that one.

message 26: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (last edited Aug 21, 2010 01:58AM) (new)

So for the month of September, shall we just go with Zoe? It seems to be the most popular choice of those that have posted in this thread.

message 27: by Arch , Mod (new)

Yes Michelle. You ladies should read that book for September. I will not be participating, because I don't have that book, but I will probably participate the next round.

message 28: by Beth (new)

Beth (spectravel) | 22 comments Hi Ladies, This will be my 1st group read. I'll get Zoe. When will the discussion begin?

message 29: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (last edited Aug 24, 2010 07:54PM) (new)

Spectravel wrote: "Hi Ladies, This will be my 1st group read. I'll get Zoe. When will the discussion begin?"

Hi! We haven't worked out all the details yet, but I was hoping that it we could start discussing Zoe during the first week of the month, or the beginning of the second week. Or, maybe we could discuss it throughout the entire month through non-spoiler/ spoiler threads. If anyone has any suggestions, I'll be happy to put the thread (s) together.

message 30: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

That sounds like a plan to me, Michelle. :-)

message 31: by Tina (new)

Tina | 22 comments I think that makes sense. In the sci fi group I belong to, the monthly group reads have one non-spoiler and one spoiler thread and anyone can kick off the discussion once the month begins.