Gorgeous Guys, Beautiful Books, and Occasional Vampires discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Group Read > Suggestions for September Group Read

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mackenzie (last edited Aug 13, 2010 08:17AM) (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Here's where you can nominate the book of your choice for the September group read! The book you nominate can be from any genre. Not just YA or Paranormal, you know? It can be a mystery, thriller, chick-lit. In other words, anything at all!

I'll get a poll up in a couple weeks.

Suggestions thus far:

1. The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner
2. Beautiful Creatures by Karmi Garcia
3. The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
4.The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade
5.Forget You by Jennifer Echols
6.Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
7. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
8. Halo by Alexandra Adornetto
9. White Cat by Holly Black
10. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
11. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
12. The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
13. Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) OK, i have 3.

1) The Red Necklace, Sally Gardner
2) Beautiful Creatures
3) The Body Finder

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) Ooh, i just noticed you're finishing the books on september 3rd, MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! YAY!!!! I feel so loved ;D I know it was a coincidence, but still.

message 4: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) LOL, that's pretty coincidental, but also pretty cool. :) Happy Birthday in much advance XD. Also thanks for the recommendations!

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) thank you for the advance birthday wishes and you are welcome!

Alexa (Once Upon a Chapter) | 38 comments I have two books I would like to add
1) The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade
2) Forget You by Jennifer Echols

message 7: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Thanks Lexa, they sound pretty interesting. :)

message 8: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 41 comments Clockwork Angle by Cassandra Clare is out early September. It's meant to be amazing.

Alexa (Once Upon a Chapter) | 38 comments oh that reminds me that Mockingjay is coming out at the end of August. So is the book Halo.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Ανδρομέδα wrote: "OK, i have 3.

2) Beautiful Creatures
3) The Body Finder"

Beautiful Creatures. I heard that was good. I want to read it really bad,

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) I loved it. And i can't wait for the second to come out.

message 12: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 41 comments It's really good. I loved it. Ridley is awesome, and Lena and Ethan are too cute.

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) look at my profile picture, and if you're like me, you go into a fit of sporadic giggles.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, got another suggetion. How bout, White Cat by Holly Black??

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (JessfromTex) | 19 comments ^^^ I haven't read that, but I have heard about it and it sounds interesting.

A book that I have read and would definately recommend for a group read is The Knife of Never Letting Go The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness

message 16: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 41 comments That book teed me off so much. I read 10 pages and stopped. The grammar ans spelling is awful!

message 17: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Mairead wrote: "Clockwork Angle by Cassandra Clare is out early September. It's meant to be amazing."

Clockwork Angel does sound absolutely amazing, I can't wait to read that at some point! :)

Lexa555 wrote: "oh that reminds me that Mockingjay is coming out at the end of August. So is the book Halo."

Oh right, I cannot wait to read Mockingjay! I'm so excited for it to come out, although I won't read it for ages. :( I've never heard of Halo, who is it by? What's it about?

Amanda wrote: "Ανδρομέδα wrote: "OK, i have 3.

2) Beautiful Creatures
3) The Body Finder"

Beautiful Creatures. I heard that was good. I want to read it really bad,"

I want to read Beautiful Creatures a lot too. I've heard such good things about it, but have never gotten a chance to read it.

Amanda wrote: "Oh, got another suggetion. How bout, White Cat by Holly Black??"

Holly Black is the author of Tithe, right? I'm not sure that I've heard of White Cat, but I'll definitely put it on the poll and check it out as soon as I get a chance! :)

Jessica wrote: "^^^ I haven't read that, but I have heard about it and it sounds interesting.

A book that I have read and would definately recommend for a group read is [book:The Knife of Never Letting Go|2118..."

Alright. I've never heard of it, but I'll go check it out and add it to the list for the poll. Thanks Jessica.

Mairead wrote: "That book teed me off so much. I read 10 pages and stopped. The grammar ans spelling is awful!"

What book? The Knife of Never Letting Go?

Alexa (Once Upon a Chapter) | 38 comments Mackenize- Halo is by Alexandra Adornetto
Here is a little bit about it from Barnes and Noble's site
Three angels are sent down to bring good to the world: Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, a teenage girl who is the least experienced of the trio. But she is the most human, and when she is romantically drawn to a mortal boy, the angels fear she will not be strong enough to save anyone—especially herself—from the Dark Forces.

Is love a great enough power against evil?

I really love the cover of the book Halo (Halo, #1) by Alexandra Adornetto

message 19: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Ohmygosh, it sounds like something right up my alley. Oh, now I am excited that it's coming out soon then! When does it come out exactly?

Alexa (Once Upon a Chapter) | 38 comments The release date is August 31st. Which might be cutting it close for the September read.

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) Mairead wrote: "That book teed me off so much. I read 10 pages and stopped. The grammar ans spelling is awful!"

It's supposed to be bad. It's through the point of view of someone who wasn't educated as well as we are today. It's how it was meant to be.

message 22: by Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (last edited Aug 12, 2010 04:59PM) (new)

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) i really want to read To Kill a Mockingbird (at least, i think it's the one mentioned in Beautiful Creatures)

message 23: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Ανδρομέδα wrote: "i really want to read To Kill a Mockingbird (at least, i think it's the one mentioned in Beautiful Creatures)"

Don't most people read that in school? :S OH well, a book is a book. Are you nominating this one? :)

Lexa555 wrote: "The release date is August 31st. Which might be cutting it close for the September read."

That's fine. The September read doesn't start til Sept. 3/4 so some people might be able to get it. If not, it doesn't matter. We'll see which book gets chosen for the read.

message 24: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) The Last Stormlord-Glenda Larke

This book got wonderful reviews o another board I`m on and it has a different plot from the usual ones we read.

message 25: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 41 comments Mackenzie wrote: What book? The Knife of Never Letting Go?

Yeah, that one. I was in tears from frustration from the first chapter and it gave nme a serious migraine. The grammar was appalling, and he speels through like "thru". Gah! Considering I want to be an editor, it actually pains me to see books like that publishd.

message 26: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 41 comments Ανδρομέδα wrote: "Mairead wrote: "That book teed me off so much. I read 10 pages and stopped. The grammar ans spelling is awful!"

It's supposed to be bad. It's through the point of view of someone who wasn't educ..."

I know it's through his pouint of view, but it doesn't make it acceptable to me. It's irritating

message 27: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Mairead wrote: "Mackenzie wrote: What book? The Knife of Never Letting Go?

Yeah, that one. I was in tears from frustration from the first chapter and it gave nme a serious migraine. The grammar was appalling,..."

Oh, books like that frustrate me although I do realize that there's a reason why they're written like that.

message 28: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 41 comments Yeah, but I can't tolerate them, even if I know why. I'm not as bad as my friend though. She had a panic attack when someone put an apostrophe in the wrong place.

message 29: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Oh my gosh, that's too funny! Wow, lol I never realized some people were so particular about the writing style.

message 30: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Mairead wrote: "Yeah, but I can't tolerate them, even if I know why. I'm not as bad as my friend though. She had a panic attack when someone put an apostrophe in the wrong place."

*laughs* really? tell us more

message 31: by Mairead (new)

Mairead | 41 comments That's pretty much it.

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) Mairead wrote: "Ανδρομέδα wrote: "Mairead wrote: "That book teed me off so much. I read 10 pages and stopped. The grammar ans spelling is awful!"

It's supposed to be bad. It's through the point of view of some..."

Then stop reading 1st person books if that thing annoys you so much. Because there are a lot of great books that are like that.

message 33: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) LOL, that's straight up :) Wait, first person is the p.o.v of the main character, using I, we, me, etc? And third person is the narrator talking.. am I right?

Everley Sharp, the Clankinist (theawesomeestreaderpersonevah) yes. and i usually am brutally honest when it comes to my opinion of something. it's habitual.

message 35: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Well that can be a good thing :) And kk, thanks.

message 36: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie RM (mackenzierm) Alright, so I'm going to make the poll now, as I think we have quite a selection to choose from. :) So I'll be closing this thread to comments. Thanks for all the suggestions, guys :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.