Terminalcoffee discussion

Sharing Time: > National Parks are free this weekend

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ooh, cool. Wish I was closer to the Badlands or Glacier National. Although I heard that Arizona escapee was near Glacier National, so I hope they catch him first.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24320 comments Mod
My father bought himself one of those lifetime National Parks passes, which I'm pretty sure also allow him to get several guests in free. A few weeks later he lost it.

I wish I was at Acadia this weekend....or for the next 2 months...but anywhere north and cold would be good.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Acadia, that is all.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I am constantly pining for Acadia.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Hee. Pining. Acadia.

message 7: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) I am constantly pining for Glacier. There are still a number of hiking trails I want to explore.

message 8: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) Lobstergirl wrote: "I am constantly pining for Acadia."
Acadia is nice, but it was awfully crowded when we were there.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Pat wrote: "I am constantly pining for Glacier. "

You're talking about the Park here right?

message 10: by Félix (last edited Aug 13, 2010 07:45AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) I love Zion. We moved to Utah to be close to it (then moved away again). This time of year it's like being in a hot pizza oven, though. The sun will bake your ass, I'm telling you.

message 11: by Pat (last edited Aug 13, 2010 08:33AM) (new)

Pat (patb37) Jim "In dreams we enter a world entirely our own" wrote: "Pat wrote: "I am constantly pining for Glacier. "

You're talking about the Park here right?"

Yep. Glacier National Park. Real snow for real hikers. Check out the snow removal pictures on the web site
http://www.nps.gov/glac/photosmultime...

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I love Zion too, Larry. I love that first glimpse as you come in from the east side of the park, and you're in a tunnel through the mountain, but there are these flashes of green through the holes in the wall of the tunnel, and you haven't seen green for hours before that, and then you come out of the tunnel into lush, lush green...

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Glacier National Park is so beautiful as to be unreal. Everywhere you look is a living postcard view.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've never been to Glacier :(

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I was there about sixteen years ago. Apparently it has the cleanest air in the continental U.S. Sarah, if you're ever touring, and driving from Minneapolis to Seattle or something, I highly recommend it...I'd like to go back, but Glacier really is WAY the fuck out in the middle of nowhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbpIOX...

message 16: by Pat (last edited Aug 13, 2010 10:01AM) (new)

Pat (patb37) One of Glacier's charms is that it is WAY the f*** out in the middle of nowhere. It's not suffering for the overuse damage that Zion and Bryce and The Grand Canyon and Acadia Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain have.

message 17: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes, that makes sense, I agree. I remember driving through endless Montana and the "B" cities...Bozeman, Butte, Billings...eventually to Missoula, then up to Glacier.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've done that tour a few times, but somehow skipped it. I've done the Badlands and Yellowstone (Wall Drug, Corn Palace, etc) while taking that route across, but never Glacier. Someday.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I think Zion is way out in the middle of nowhere, too, RA. Most of Utah is nowhere, really. Really pretty nowhere.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Zion's right off of 15, not far from 70, so if you're taking 70 cross country it's really not out of the way. I've managed to make it part of one westbound trip (Baltimore- LA) and one eastbound (Seattle - Atlanta)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Oh, good point, Sarah.

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "I think Zion is way out in the middle of nowhere, too, RA. Most of Utah is nowhere, really. Really pretty nowhere."

It's the most beautiful piece of nowhere I've ever seen, Jackie.

message 23: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) Sarah Pi wrote: "Zion's right off of 15, not far from 70, so if you're taking 70 cross country it's really not out of the way. I've managed to make it part of one westbound trip (Baltimore- LA) and one eastbound (S..."
Yes, Zion gets really crowded on weekends and school holidays.

It is an interesting place, and anyone who is not afraid of heights should take the hike up to Angel's Landing. The trail crossed an 18 inch wide fin with a drop of a few thousand feet on each side. Its amazing.

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) When I lived in the area, we enjoyed going to Zion after the summer rush was over the most. In the late fall, early winter, after the shuttles stop running, you can drive right up into the park and park by the trail heads.

It's a fabulous place without all the chattering people.

message 25: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) We were in Zion in Early October, and it was crowded. I guess that was too early in the fall to escape the crowds.

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) November, Pat.

message 27: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Pat wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "I am constantly pining for Acadia."
Acadia is nice, but it was awfully crowded when we were there."

The last time I went we made sure to go after Labor Day and it was perfect. Still plenty of people hanging out in Bar Harbor, but you didn't run into too many hikers on the trails.

message 28: by Pat (last edited Aug 13, 2010 06:25PM) (new)

Pat (patb37) We went to Acadia in Early September, and it was crowded, lots of bus groups. Once we got out on the trails it wasn't too bad, but there was always people around.

Since we've been there, I think Acadia went to the bus thing like Zion but I'm not sure.

message 29: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11676 comments I'm in Zion regularly (less than a 40 minute drive), but still haven't made it to Bryce. A friend went recently and said it's a must-see.

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Definitely, Phil. I didn't like it as much as Zion, though.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The first time I drove across country, in college, I was with a friend who insisted that we go to Bryce instead of the Grand Canyon, since the latter "is just a big hole in the ground."

It took me a few more years to see for myself that while Bryce had been really cool, the Grand Canyon was breathtaking. Zion is still probably my favorite though.

message 32: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) Heck with nature, one of the best kept secrets of National Parks is the food.

We had some of the best food EVER at the lodge in Bryce canyon NP. We spend 3 days at Bryce. After the first day we were planning our days around our dinner reservation. The canyon and the scenery were nice too, but it was worth it just for the food.

The other park where we were astounded by the food was Big bend in Texas. It is 60 miles from everything, so unless you are wilderness camping, the only place to eat is the main dining room. The food was amazing!!

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Heh. I go to the American Indian museum in DC for the food all the time.

I also have fond memories of stopping in some tiny hotel somewhere between the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff. The entire town was one establishment: the hotel-postoffice-restaurant. We took a nap in our room which had no water pressure and furniture made out of horns and hooves. Then we ventured out to the restaurant, only to find it had one of the best beer lists I've ever seen, and really cool Asian-influenced food. It was completely not what I was expecting based on the location and the decor.

message 34: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sarah Pi wrote: "Heh. I go to the American Indian museum in DC for the food all the time."

I've eaten there. Pretty good, and it was fun looking at the food and choosing dishes, but a little on the pricey side.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yeah, when I say "all the time" I mean when I'm in DC showing the museums off. That's only once or twice a year.

message 36: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Those who've been to Glacier National, where did you stay? The official .gov website mentions a few lodges.

message 37: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Also interested to know if anyone has been to Canadian national parks, which ones are good/beautiful/mountainous/full of lakes?

message 38: by Pat (last edited Sep 03, 2010 10:38AM) (new)

Pat (patb37) We went to Glacier in 1997, but the place we stayed is still there
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revi...
Not fancy, but worked for us.

The only Canadian National Parks we have been to are in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. They were lovely, but a bit off the beaten path.

message 39: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Thanks, Pat. Oooh, did you go to Cape Breton Park? That's the one I want to go to. I would love to go to Newfoundland too but that is way far away...even driving from Halifax to the tip of Nova Scotia is 6 hours. Does Newfoundland connect to either Nova Scotia or the mainland by bridge, or is it ferries only?

message 40: by Pat (last edited Sep 05, 2010 11:19AM) (new)

Pat (patb37) The only way to get to Newfoundland is by air or boat. We took the car ferry over to Newfoundland from Nova Scotia.

We only spent part of a day in Cape Breton Park. It happened to be very rainy for most of that trip, so it limited our hiking. One nice side effect of the stormy weather was the incredible waves. we spent hours watching the waves crash onto the rocky coast.

message 41: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Neat! Unfortunately I won't be able to go this year because my passport is expired. Failure to plan...

message 42: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I stayed in an RV, LG, at Glacier...but I've heard the lodges are cool.

message 43: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) RA, RV, LG.

message 44: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) RandomAnthony wrote: "I stayed in an RV, LG, at Glacier...but I've heard the lodges are cool."
The lodges are cool, but it can be hard to get a reservation. They also seem to be chock full of bus trip people. We go to great lengths to avoid bus trip people.

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) What's wrong with bus trip people?

message 46: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) Larry wrote: "What's wrong with bus trip people?"

In our experience they tend to be loud and rude. I think it is some sort of mob psychology. Individual I'm sure they are nice enough.

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Ah. We were enjoying doing some shopping one day in Lahaina (Maui) when a bus unloaded a large group of Japanese tourists. They crowded into the shop we were in, and began yelling, pushing, and shoving to buy things. Evidently the bus would be leaving soon. Not soon enough for us, though.