Earth's Children discussion

If it was a movie...

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wynne (new)

Wynne | 9 comments If any one (or all) of the Earth's Children books were made into a movie/miniseries, who would you pick to play Ayla, Jondalar, etc.?

message 2: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (coinoperatedgirl) | 1 comments Wynne wrote: "If any one (or all) of the Earth's Children books were made into a movie/miniseries, who would you pick to play Ayla, Jondalar, etc.?"

Definitely not Daryl Hannah again, that's for sure.

message 3: by Wynne (new)

Wynne | 9 comments I agree! It's kind of hard to think of people to play Ayla and Jondalar, because the author so specifically detailed their appearance. I thought of Katherine Heigl for Ayla (she has a low-pitched voice), but she has brown eyes.I guess that what colored contacts are for.:) As far as Jondalar, I'm stumped.

message 4: by Tash (new)

Tash | 14 comments that's really hard for me, as I have never really been able to put a face on either Jondalar or Ayla, as they are described so specifically, and I have never quite been able to fully visualise them...

message 5: by Jolene (new)

Jolene Kozak | 7 comments THERE IS A MOVIE ACTUALLY!!! IT's very old.. from the 80s I think. I tried to watch some of it online, but it loaded so slowly. Ayla's actress kinda ruins the movie for me. Not what I expected AT all.

message 6: by Wynne (new)

Wynne | 9 comments But when it comes to Zelandoni (aka Zolena), I thought right away: Camryn Manheim.;)

message 7: by Wynne (new)

Wynne | 9 comments I found Clan of the Cave Bear on Youtube, and it was a disappointment for the most part. I bet they could do a much better job now, with digitization. I wonder if the makers of COTCB were working with a low budget.

As far as Zelandoni, Brooke Elliot (sp?) from Drop Dead Diva would be another good possibility.

message 8: by Tierney (new)

Tierney | 17 comments The movie with Daryl Hannah was plain awful. It put the books to shame and i hope they never make another movie from these books. Everything is described so specifically, that making it real would ruin it for me and i like to imagine the characters in my mind instead of seeing them in front of me and a screen. Thats just me though i guess.

message 9: by Jolene (new)

Jolene Kozak | 7 comments Tierney wrote: "The movie with Daryl Hannah was plain awful. It put the books to shame and i hope they never make another movie from these books. Everything is described so specifically, that making it real would ..."

I AGREE!!!

message 10: by Tash (new)

Tash | 14 comments thats so true. Its not just that the characters might be wrong its that I imagagine all of the locations of the books really specifically, and seeing another person's interpretations might ruin the books for me

message 11: by Tierney (new)

Tierney | 17 comments It is a possibility though, because with the new book being released, people will be noticing it more because its NEW. So a movie could be likely unfortunatly! :(

message 12: by Suezeeque (new)

Suezeeque | 3 comments I have thought since I read the series the first time that this should be a miniseries, not a movie like the awful Darryl Hannah fiasco. I love that Ayla is this intelligent, strong, resourceful woman. I think the whole love aspect would be great to watch. I always think of who I would cast in such a series of these books, Ayla: Amber Marshall, Jondular: Alexander Skarsgard, Thonolan: Milo Ventimiglia or maybe one of the Skarsgard brothers?

I mean, they made a miniseries out of Pillars of the Earth, why not these amazing stories!

message 13: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 109 comments Mod
I think in some ways though, it will always be difficult to make a movie or mini-series out of this, if for no other reason than it would be too difficult to do justice to the Clan. I mean, they could do ASL, but instead of the grace that is described in the book, I fear it really would just look like a bunch of hand waving and grunting.

As for actresses, If Joelle Carter were just a bit younger, I think she would be perfect. They really need someone who is about 17 or 18 for it to look accurate. I think that they could probably go to Sweden or Holland (or even Russia) and find a very pretty, tall, blond, unknown actress. I think someone foreign would be good because she would speak with an accent, that way when she started "speaking" she would already have an accent, so it wouldn't have to be affected. I think unknowns would be nice, as then they would BE the character. Kind of like the kids in the Harry Potter books.

message 14: by Rachel, Hot Mod (last edited Mar 07, 2011 03:06PM) (new)

Ooooh, what about this girl? Like I said, look for Swedes!

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm342802662...

message 15: by Betsy (new)

Betsy I'm with Tierney and Jolene. I hope they never make a movie/series. The thing is these books are about so much more than just the story. They are about the ecosystems, the culture, the history and -- for lack of a better word -- political systems. Granted, the story is good, but without all the background and complexity underlying it, it would be so much less than these books are.

message 16: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 4 comments Not to continue to derail this debate but I have to ask. Why is there so much hate for the Darryl Hannah movie? I mean it wasn't great. But I don't think it was as bad as people make it out to be either.

message 17: by Betsy (new)

Betsy I didn't hate it. It was just disappointing compared to the book.

message 18: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

I really just think that anything would be disappointing compared to the book. I mean, it is a necessary part of the story, so they couldn't even start at Valley of Horses, which would be MUCH easier to adapt. Unless they go with the "CotCB was already made, so we are just picking up the story where it left off..." argument. Which, would actually work for me. I accept that the Clan would just be too difficult to get a nuanced enough performance to do them justice. They might be able to do better with make-up and costumes though. And if they hired an entire cast of people fluent in ASL, maybe they could pull it off. But the whole thing would be in subtitles, and I have a feeling nobody would watch it. Except us. lol

message 19: by Crystal (last edited May 18, 2011 07:19AM) (new)

Crystal | 29 comments Comon you guys, The movie was made in 1986! You cant expect it to still be comparable in this modern time, they just didnt have the technology.
I watched it over twenty years ago and i thought Daryl Hannah was perfect for the role, Auel always explains Ayla as beautiful and strong but fragile and i think Hannah did it well. And i think they did as best they could with what they had.

message 20: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

I think that is part of the idea. There is so much more that is accessible now, just think of what James Cameron accomplished with motion capture technology in Avatar. Similar technology could be used to give the Clan a far more realistic appearance without hokey make-up. The thing is, they would have to get a SPECTACULAR screen writer, and I doubt that a remake would generate enough interest in Hollywood to get the kind of money needed to be able to do it right. So I will just stick with the little movies I make in my head for now. lol

message 21: by {Jayhawk} (new)

{Jayhawk} (hollyredmond) | 7 comments I just watched the actual movie today, huge disapointment. i wish hollywood would make modern ones of all of them.

message 22: by Rachel, Hot Mod (new)

I agree. Or perhaps HBO could take it on as a miniseries. You know they will do it right.

message 23: by {Jayhawk} (new)

{Jayhawk} (hollyredmond) | 7 comments I totally agree.

message 24: by Turquoisebolo (new)

Turquoisebolo | 1 comments I should have joined a long time ago, but I finally did so due to this discussion. I feel that nowadays, with the technology that goes into making movies, they would be a lot more capable of capturing the essence of the books without pandering. They are doing a wonderful job with the Lord of the Rings series, and now, they are making The Hobbit into a trilogy worthy of the book itself. Clan of the Cave Bear, and the subsequent books probably wouldn't cost a fraction of what those movies cost to make, and they would still be able to tell the story in full. I'm not sure who would be a good actor for Jondalar, but Anna Kendrick has the acting chops to pull off Ayla, even if she's a little on the short side. Jennifer Lawrence is another good candidate. I know she's supposed to be a certain "type", but I'm more interested in whether they convey the meaning and feeling of the books than if they actually look like Ayla. Hair can be dyed, contacts/CGI can be employed. Also, omit Land of the Painted Caves. We'll make up our own ending to the series.

message 25: by Monique (new)

Monique (addict-of-books) | 1 comments The movie that was made based upon the first book was a big disappointment. And I mean more than usual. I mean, I'm always disappointed in movies based upon books because they're never what I expect, but if I had of seen it in cinemas I would have asked for my money back, like I did with Eragon. The movie progresses so slowly, and doesn't hold true to a lot of the book. Important parts are skipped over, things are added in, it's just disappointing. It flopped in the box office, the producers had planned to do The Valley of Horses as well, since Clan of the Cave Bear didn't do so well, they didn't. But I suppose one has to watch it to form they're own opinion.

message 26: by Kim (new)

Kim | 5 comments I've found that it's always better to see the movie first, and then read the book afterwards, Monique. That way you don't have any preconceptions about characters, etc. It's always annoying when important parts are missed out! A director will always have his own interpretation of any book, and it, almost certainly, will not coincide with your own. I guess with the original, Earth's Children books, being around so long now, few people are likely to see the Clan of the Cave Bear film, first.

message 27: by Allison (last edited Oct 16, 2014 02:35PM) (new)

Allison (allisonbri) | 4 comments Turquoisebolo wrote: "I should have joined a long time ago, but I finally did so due to this discussion. I feel that nowadays, with the technology that goes into making movies, they would be a lot more capable of captu..."

Agreed! I would vote for Chris Hemsworth for Jondalar. Jennifer Lawrence would be perfect, and she has many of Ayla's characteristics: blonde hair, round face, blue-gray eyes. HBO would be able to include all aspects of the story since they don't have to worry about being too x-rated. And of course come up with a better ending than Painted Caves...

message 28: by Meadblondie (new)

Meadblondie | 13 comments I have some recommendations regarding the cast: i think mike vogel ("barbie" in- under the dome) would make a decent jondalar as for his puppy eyes no woman can deny ;) if she's not already too old; for Ayla, I would vote the blonde from "species" can't quite remember her name. And i must object to someone saying Aylas face was round-ish o_O I think it's described as more slim and long with exotic cheekbones....?

message 29: by Meadblondie (new)

Meadblondie | 13 comments And please god spare us from these omnipresent-every-movie-playing faces a Lawrence and Hemsworth, don't get me wrong I loved them in every movie they did but DO they really have to be in EVERY frickin' movie? :/
Alex Pettifer would also mime a non-resistable jondalar but as for the sorrow - frowning goes Mike Vogel is still my first choice ;) what's the actor of Killian in witches of east end again? My Thonolan =D

message 30: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisonbri) | 4 comments Meadblondie wrote: "I have some recommendations regarding the cast: i think mike vogel ("barbie" in- under the dome) would make a decent jondalar as for his puppy eyes no woman can deny ;) if she's not already too old..."

"Her large eyes were grey-blue outlined with
lashes a shade or two darker than her hair; her
eyebrows were somewhat lighter, between the two
in colour. Her face was heart-shaped, rather wide
with high cheekbones, a well-defined jaw, and a
narrow chin."[2]The Plains of Passage
Okay so maybe not as round as I pictured. Oh well lol

message 31: by Renee (new)

Renee | 6 comments Loving all of your comments about this series! So, how do we beef up the idea to HBO? I so want a re-make.

message 32: by Renee (new)

Renee | 6 comments Oh & btw, the actor who portrays Thonalan needs to be a charismatic charmer rather than super easy on the eyes. So...who's it gonna be?

message 33: by Renee (new)

Renee | 6 comments Camryn Manheim as Zolena, YES!

message 34: by Meadblondie (new)

Meadblondie | 13 comments http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-W97R7RS1EsA... this picture was on one of my books and I always pictured zelandoni like this, double-LoL as it is the autor herself (much younger) XD

message 35: by Meadblondie (new)

Meadblondie | 13 comments damnit can't link the pic >.< the real funny fact is it was on my shelter of stone the first book she really appears in.

message 36: by Meadblondie (new)

Meadblondie | 13 comments was just shocked by the fact that to me, a huuuge fringe-fan, it never occurred.... "heart shaped face.... deep voice" .... ANNA TORF ....I'm going to hide myself in a corner for now.... <. <

message 37: by Renee (new)

Renee | 6 comments Anna Torv is perfect!!!

message 38: by Meadblondie (new)

Meadblondie | 13 comments found the perfect thonolan: aiden turner! for he is the young mischief everybody HAS to like. see for yourself in the hobbit as Kili. (and Tamio HAS to fall for that puppyeyes *swoon*)

message 39: by Meadblondie (new)

Meadblondie | 13 comments spelled the name wrong again -.- it's AidAn of course

message 40: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisonbri) | 4 comments I agree about Anna Torv! too bad she's out of the age range :-( if we're going older I would have picked Milla Jovovich for Ayla and Brad Pitt for Jondalar...but that's just me :-) And yes, Aidan Turner would be great as Thonolan!

message 41: by Cortney (new)

Cortney (habelabedula) | 1 comments I think a younger Aaron Eckhart would be perfect for Jondalar, but he's also out of the age range :(

message 42: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 5 comments I'll admit I skimmed the posts here, so if someone mentioned this already, I apologize, although I didn't see anything...

Lifetime is planning to adapt it as a series.

message 43: by Emilija (new)

Emilija Emma | 1 comments How about January Jones for Ayla? This picture of her is as close to my image of Ayla as I've managed to find: http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Ent...

message 44: by Kim (last edited Apr 27, 2016 01:49AM) (new)

Kim | 5 comments Looks good to me! But maybe not tall enough! :-)