Mistress of Rome (The Empress of Rome, #1) Mistress of Rome discussion

Too familiar

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeffc (new)

Jeffc When I started reading this novel, I immediately had a niggling feeling of familiarity. This feeling grew and grew throughout to the point that I am positive that I have read this story before, and I don't mean this year. All the little touches and sections of the story I could pick before I got to them. I have read mountains of historical novels in my life but the intimate details are just too familiar to be some vague memory of similar storylines. For the life of me I can't recall the name of the book that this is, but I have read the story before. Someone please tell me this is a reprint and not a brand new book like the promotional material states.

Ivana I don't know about a book, I have a feeling that takes a lot from a hollywood movie industry, especially the historical movies. That's where I put my feeling of seeing it before.

Dilys Myhill Very similar to the TV series Spartacus.

Danielle They seem to have come out around the same time. The author used fact in her books, as does Spartacus. that's probably why it feels familiar.

Kristin I haven't seen Spartacus, so I wouldn't know. I really loved the book and didn't think it was predictable at all. Didn't get that sense of deja vu.

Dhfan4life I've seen a few bits of Spartacus. But maybe it is so familiar is because both the show and this author used easily relatable facts. That would make the world and time both easier to understand and more interesting to talk about. As there has no doubt been some very hard or gruesome aspects that most folks can't relate to today so they kind of skimmed the surface of that with other info maybe.

Michele Lacroix I enjoyed this book and read it before I ever knew about the series Spartacus. I got into the Psyhological battle the heroine had with her captivity and survival instict.

Dhfan4life I have to say I still think the writing was very clear and made for a deeply engaging story. Even though Gladiators aren't really my thing.

Hope Jeffc wrote: "When I started reading this novel, I immediately had a niggling feeling of familiarity. This feeling grew and grew throughout to the point that I am positive that I have read this story before, an..."

I had the same feeling. This book reminded me a bit of The Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers. The main difference was Francine Rivers books are Christian Fiction and told from a Christian stand point.

Leona It was very similar to The Mark of the Lion Series, though I believe Mark of the Lion was more in-depth.

Jessica Loved this book! Read all the time and this didn't feel familiar at all.