Every one's Choice discussion

Winners for September

Comments (showing 51-100 of 120) (120 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (crescent_gaia) I'm really going to be happy no matter what the book. There are good Henry VIII books that I didn't know about.

Colleen - I think that people aren't overnominating Anne due to her being a safe choice. I just haven't read the book yet for some reason.

message 52: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Donna (DFiggz) | 3116 comments Mod
Colleen, Will you be nominating another book? You always seem to have everyone's interest! ;-)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) LOL Colleen, how did you know?? Actually, I also considered Rose Without a Thorn, but Fatal Majesty has been on my mind lately for some reason, :)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Liz - There are a whole passel of Tudor afficionados in this group, so National Beheading Day is giving us lots of room to go with, lol.

message 55: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (crescent_gaia) Ah - thanks Lyn!

message 56: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 145 comments Lyn M wrote: "LOL Colleen, how did you know?? Actually, I also considered Rose Without a Thorn, but Fatal Majesty has been on my mind lately for some reason, :)"

I know why!! I knew too :P

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Hey, I'm nothing if not predictable, lol.

message 58: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 145 comments LOL It's not a bad thing! I've been wanting to read that one too. I voted on that one for THL.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Not a bad thing at all!

message 60: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 145 comments Lyn M wrote: "Liz - There are a whole passel of Tudor afficionados in this group, so National Beheading Day is giving us lots of room to go with, lol."

Liz (and anyone who's interested) you should join our other groups if you haven't already. There are some fantastic recommendations for all the royals if you're interested in reading more about them.

Tudor History Lovers: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/9...

A History of Royals: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) You are such a good mod!

message 62: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 145 comments Haha Thanks! Not as good as you though ;)

message 63: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (crescent_gaia) Ooo - thanks Jennifer! I didn't know about the other groups.

message 64: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 145 comments No problem Liz! You'll love them :)

message 65: by Bucket (new)

Bucket | 10 comments For Beheading Day, I'd like to nominate Invitation to a Beheading. I love Vladimir Nabokov and this is one of his shorter novels - it's definitely surreal, but very very interesting!

message 66: by Silver (new)

Silver Bucket wrote: "For Beheading Day, I'd like to nominate Invitation to a Beheading. I love Vladimir Nabokov and this is one of his shorter novels - it's definitely surreal, but very very interesting!"

I considered nominating that myself. But I decided to go with a book I already own, becasue I did not know for a fact if I would be able to get a copy of that one in time for the discussion.

message 67: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I was waiting for that to come up! I didn't nominate it because I knew someone else would have so I tried to be different but I was wrong LOL!

message 68: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 300 comments Irene wrote: "I like Jennifer's idea of focusing on Katherine Howard. I would like to recommend The Sixth Wife by Jean Plaidy."

I saw this book nominated here and proceeded to buy a book at Target entitled The Sixth Wife: A Novel, but its author is Suzannah Dunn and was published in 2007. It looks really good, so I plan on reading it. If Plaidy's book of the same title wins here, maybe I could offer up some comparisons.,

message 69: by Colleen (last edited Aug 18, 2010 04:17PM) (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 676 comments The Sixth Wife is actually about Katherine Parr, Henry VIII's sixth wife and she was not beheaded.

Thanks Donna! *blush* At Donna's request, since Katherine Howard was not only beheaded but also my second favorite wife I will nominate a couple others on her as well:

A Tudor Tragedy: The Life and Times of Catherine Howard by Lacey Baldwin Smith
and
An Unchaste Life: Memoir of a Tudor Queen by Anne Cato

message 70: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 145 comments Oops... both Sixth Wife books are!

message 71: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 676 comments I was waiting for someone else to catch that but then I just had to post the correction! LOL

message 72: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 145 comments LOL I didn't notice... my observation skills are seriously lacking in the past few days!

message 73: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 676 comments Heeheehee

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Colleen always keeps us honest, lol. I had forgotten that not ALL of H8s wives were beheaded.

message 75: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 676 comments Hahaha, thanks Lyn!

message 76: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Well, I will let the nominations go for just a few more hours. I am bringing one of my daughter's into work tomorrow and will not be able to post the polls up then so I will have to go a day early. I am sure you guys won't mind...

message 77: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 145 comments Of course not :)

message 78: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Aw Heck! Voting is up!!!!

message 79: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Just saw your comments and PM's and was wondering if I should include The Sixth Wife? I know Irene already voted but what does everyone else think? Since she wasn't beheaded it really doesn't make sense to have it in the polls...

Any thoughts?

message 80: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 145 comments I think it can go either way. Techinically we wouldn't be reading about a beheading at all but on the other hand, I'm sure there will be lots of other people losing their heads in the book (there always are with the Tudors) and Henry himself is obviously quite associated with beheadings...

Either way is fine with me :)

message 81: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I mean I agree. The book should be about a beaheading or of someone who was beheaded.

message 82: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 676 comments I don't want to get picky but I think the book should be about someone who was actually beheaded. :)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I'm with Colleen on this. Now to go vote!

message 84: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

It has been removed and a message was sent out to those who voted for it. I just hope there are no hard feelings. I know I always make things comfy and open but in all fairness if she was not bheaded then there is no point of it being in that category!

For those of you who did vote for The Sixth Wife, don't let us discourage you from reading it. PLease go ahead and do so and please share with us. We would truly love to hear your thoughts!

message 85: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 676 comments I did Lyn and it was such a hard choice to make! LOL

message 86: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 145 comments Both Sixth Wife books look great and I've heard good things about them both. I'll definitely be reading them sometime in the future as well :)

message 87: by Lance (new)

Lance (Carbuncle) | 4 comments I would love to see Grundish and Askew be the book for September. So, here's the pitch. If Grundish and Askew is voted in as the September book, I will sell signed copies to all group members for $10.00 including shipping (international will be more but I will keep it as cheap as possible). I won't be making anything off of the sales but you all can get cheap signed copies. And, I'd even do a Q&A if people are interested. So change your votes now.

message 88: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (NightOleander) | 676 comments What a great proposal Lance!

message 89: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 300 comments I second that, Colleen!

message 90: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

message 91: by Jen (new)

Jen (NekoKitty) | 339 comments Yay! :)

message 92: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

I am getting TOBG from GR swap and I already own TG so I am at least one step ahead but I still wont get to it in time LOL

message 93: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 145 comments Haha I have read TOBG (and loved it) and own TG as well but I also won't get to it in time.

message 94: by Jen (new)

Jen (NekoKitty) | 339 comments If it makes life any easier for you, The Gargoyle is a super fast and awesome read... :) I LOVED IT! :)

message 95: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

Oh I know. Everyone has said that but I think I have like 5 or 6 ahead of it!

message 96: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 145 comments Ditto but thanks Jenni :)

message 97: by Donna, The Pusher (new)

As I said earlier I got it for super cheap at B&N online. It is hardcover but it's pricew I will get over it LOL

message 98: by Jen (new)

Jen (NekoKitty) | 339 comments Just so you guys read it... that's what's important! I must admit that I was partial because I'm fluent in Japanese. I LOVED the part where the author wrote a couple of paragraphs in Japanese... it was the best! (Don't worry, it gets translated, don't be worried.)

:)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I just ordered The Gargoyle from the library and I already have The Other Boleyn, so I am set.

message 100: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 145 comments Lyn, have you not read TOB yet?
Read that one over TOQ

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gargoyle (other topics)
The King's Rose (other topics)
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (other topics)
The Sixth Wife (other topics)
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Susanna Clarke (other topics)
Jean Plaidy (other topics)
Leanda de Lisle (other topics)
Pearl S. Buck (other topics)
Margaret George (other topics)
More...