Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

True Blood > Episode 8 / Night on the Sun

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanbevans) "They washed my brain."

Man, I LOVE Jason!

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 73 comments I keep waiting for Sookie and Eric to get together! Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

message 3: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) Hey she just met Alcide. I SOOO wanted Sookie to kill Debbie off. Poor Talbot. I really liked him. Was not expecting that. Oh I loved when Bill called Russell out "are you a coward or just lazy"

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanbevans) This episode was FULL of emotional tension! By the mid-point, I was wondering if we were going to get any relief, but I was really happy with the outcome. The Sookie-Debbie fight, along with the Bill & Jessica against the wolves and Russell was great. I wish Sookie had pulled the trigger on Debbie, but I guess they're saving Debbie for the last episode.

message 5: by Christy (new)

Christy | 127 comments Loved this episode! I loved when Eric seduced Talbot. That was hot! Sad to see Talbot go, but that was perfect and saved Jessica. Yay for Lafayette. His mama is FUNNY! I was really touched by Jessica and Bill. They finally seem like family.

message 6: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) I do feel sorry for Jessica, not really having a mentor to help her in her "vampire" life.

message 7: by Cary (new)

Cary (vortigern) What I liked was seeing Bill and Sookie have makeup sex. Man I got off on that. It was really pleasing. I know that for Eric fans who have read the books. This must have been rather a dissapointment. It is touching how Bill care's for Jessica, and teachs her. With Sookie they seem to be the vampire equivalent of a healthy mixed marriage. I really don't like Tara. She is just to hateful and mentally unstable. She would have left Bill to die just because she was pissed. What I am wondering is where is Franklin. Unless that vicious Tara beat his head right off with that mace. Then Franklin will be coming back. Man Russell just rocketed out of there the minute the stake hit home in Tallbot. I hope Eric has a warm reception waiting. Such a shame that Sookie did not shoot Debbie Pelt. Oh well there is plenty more crazyness coming up. I can't wait to see what happens when the magistrates find out about Russell, and what will happen to Sophie Anne. TrueBlood is really holding it's own course. They are using the familier characters but the plot line always keeps you guessing.:)

message 8: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Yeah the sex was hot but she's an idiot. He almost bled her dry. She sure forgot about that really fast. Looks like Bill's betrayal will be larger than I thought but it's coming.

I laughed when Eric staked Talbot. Whiny lil Biotch.

I'm mad that Sookie had enough strength to fight off Debbie. She's supernatural, Sookie is partially supernatural. She couldn't have taken her like that and personally, I was rooting for Debbie. I hate tv show Sookie. LOL.

I agreed with Tara when she said she'd be a stupid bitch if she went back to that vampire. It's interesting how she just went all scared stiff after one vamp experience and learned her lesson.

I found the Hadley busting in Sookie's house very random. Also very random was how Sookie just was like omg it's Hadley, let's catch up! UHHH, how long has it been since you've seen her.

@Cary, I feel like tara is not unstable at all. I think she's gone thru a lot and now she has to deal with supernatural abusers after having to deal with her mother all her life. Gotta see it her way. Bill almost sucked her dry. I'd have left him there too.

message 9: by Cary (last edited Aug 09, 2010 10:05AM) (new)

Cary (vortigern) Ranata you have always been a Bill hater, and champion of the big betrayal that never was. There are so many numerous examples of Taras instability they are to numerous to mention. Leaving Bill in the sun after he saved the whole town from Taras buddy the Maenad. Not giving Bill a chance to explain he could save her life. Tara's inability to control herself almost got Sookie killed. Moving in a whole gang of people she barely knows into Sookies house while she is in Dallas. Inconsiderate & unstable I would say. She has crazy fights with Laffayette, acts real terrible to Sookie and calls her a bitch while staying at her house. You just have this thing about Bill. Bill is playing out to be a great guy in TrueBlood. Oviously Sookie understood Bills situation and made up with him again. :)

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanbevans) I loved Lafayette's mom in this episode, especially when she called him "Lala" - lol! And the way her character plays off Jesus is fantastic!

Is anybody else creeped out by the actress plyaing Holly? Something about that woman's face totally weirds me out - her huge, wide smile and wide, unblinking eyes... I don't know...

message 11: by Leslie (last edited Aug 09, 2010 11:44AM) (new)

Leslie | 73 comments ya she is really creepy looking ^^. The Jason story-line is getting interesting. Jason is too dumb for words , he's so sweet though so I always feel so bad for him. He's going to get into so much trouble with Crystal's family. I wonder if they will follow the books when it comes to him.

message 12: by Cary (new)

Cary (vortigern) Who is the actress who plays Holly Cleary? I can just barely remember her.

message 13: by Cary (new)

Cary (vortigern) Jason it appears in TrueBlood is about to get into a lot of trouble with the meth dealing Panthers. :)

message 14: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) You guys are too funny. I was hoping Sookie would kill off Debbie especially when she was all set up with her shot gun and I was like "Shoot her! Shoot her!" But alas, she is still alive...for now. Holly is all wrong as least the actress playing her. I so didn't have her pegged out to be blond. As I recall in the books, Holly is a witch. I wonder if they will be keeping that aspect of her character. Since when does Arlene interview the waitresses? She and Holly were all chummy chummy with the single mom with two kids thing.

I also found it weird when Lafayette's mom visited him and was like there are witches and vampires after you. I think I am remembering that right. I was thinking, witches, they haven't shown up yet.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanbevans) My husband says that it's her (Holly's) eyebrows - they make her look like the Joker! Lol!

message 16: by Melissa Rochelle (new)

Melissa Rochelle (melissarochelle) In the books, Bill and Sookie have a brief encounter much like the one at the end of the ep...right? Then Sookie wises up and gets over the V (or just some vampire blood, it's not really V in the books...) in her system and dumps Bill. Or is that wishful thinking on my part?

message 17: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) @Cary, yes, I am a big Bill hater but I don't hate him in the show. No he did not really betray her but either way, it's over, she's not going to be with him and since Alan Ball is a big Bill lover it seems, he's gonna throw out the whole Eric story. Considering, he's been investigating her and she was too distraught to really get it when Russell showed her, the betrayal that never was in your opinion will BE once she realizes what she was shown.

It's great that you THINK you know what's going on in my head and think I have a big grudge against a fictional character and I'm sorry you say you're wrong but YOU'RE WRONG! I like show Bill but we all know this won't last and she'll be on to the next one.

Tara is unstable MAYBE because of what she went thru in her youth and what she went thru with Eggs and Maryann and then Franklin. Who wouldn't be unstable after that?

And where did Tara almost get Sookie killed? Sookie almost got Sookie killed! U'd think after sleeping with a vamp for this long she'd have realized he wouldn't only drink A LITTLE of her blood. I'd have kicked him out if I saw my friend being bled to death by her vampire boyfriend after about to be killed by her own nutbag vamp. How was she suppose to be?

message 18: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) This thread cracks me up :)

message 19: by Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (last edited Aug 09, 2010 03:17PM) (new)

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Ranata....you ROCK! Love your post. I'm not a Bill-hater either, its just that I really don't care that much about him (I could take him or leave him). As long as he and Sookie part ways, I'm good with whatever else Bill does. I think Alan Ball will go ahead with the betrayal plot in the next few seasons. I heard that he will be using the main plot from Book 4 next season and have Eric cursed by a witch and lose his memory. If AB is going to do that then he has to break Bill and Sookie up so Sookie can be available to help Eric through his 'amnesia'. I don't think Bill and Sookie having sex in the last episode will amount to anything. I'm pretty sure its over for them.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanbevans) Jessa *metalgirl80* wrote: "Ranata....you ROCK! Love your post. I'm not a Bill-hater either, its just that I really don't care that much about him (I could take him or leave him). As long as he and Sookie part ways, I'm go..."

I totally agree - I think the Bill and Sookie relationship is on its last legs. I like the Bill character in TB better than in the books, but still he did "court" Sookie with an agenda in mind, compiling information about her and her family for the queen, and that is a betrayal no matter how you look at it. I think she will eventually see that and break things off.

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Nice way of putting it, Susan. I could have been okay with the whole thing if Bill would have told Sookie the truth as soon as he realized he was falling for her. His assignment didn't include getting physically or emotionally involved, that was his own doing. He should have owned up to it and faced the consequences. *shrugs* Just my opinion, though.

message 22: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) Though this is Sophie Anne we are talking about so maybe the getting physical was to wine and dine Sookie.

message 23: by Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (last edited Aug 09, 2010 05:09PM) (new)

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Though this is Sophie Anne we are talking about so maybe the getting physical was to wine and dine Sookie."

Its possible. But, I doubt falling in love was part of the plan. As soon as that happened Bill should have fessed up.

message 24: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) @Jessa, thank you so much =). I just had to say what I had to say. I am the same way about Bill, I can take him or leave him but as long as he is NOT with Sookie, it's even better!!

Soooo glad Alan Ball is going ahead with the amnesia. This must explain the appearance by Holly at Merlottes!!

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Ranata wrote: "@Jessa, thank you so much =). I just had to say what I had to say. I am the same way about Bill, I can take him or leave him but as long as he is NOT with Sookie, it's even better!!

Soooo glad Ala..."

Not a 100% sure he is going with it but it was rumored a few weeks ago. Let's keep our fingers crossed that AB keeps with that particular plot!

message 26: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) I am hoping Amelia will make an appearance soon.

message 27: by Christy (new)

Christy | 127 comments I saw a clip of ComicCon and AB said next season Eric is losing his memory. I don't care who Sookie is with. I'm just enjoying the ride.

message 28: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) I don't think Trubeblood fits in the ComicCon genre. I know they did that for Twilight.

message 29: by Christy (new)

Christy | 127 comments I don't know a thing about ComicCon other than the fact that they had a True Blood Panel last year and this year. The clip I saw was awesome--lots of the actors were there with AB. I would have loved to be there.

message 30: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) Comic Con is a convention for comic books and local artists who draw comic books. I would see them more at a gen Con which is fantasy/roleplaying and i think it is a better venue than ComicCon

message 31: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 73 comments Yay! about the Eric Amnesia plot coming to True blood!

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Comic Con is a convention for comic books and local artists who draw comic books. I would see them more at a gen Con which is fantasy/roleplaying and i think it is a better venue than ComicCon"

They were there promoting a TrueBlood comic book. I saw a clip where some of the actors were holding up the comic book and making comments about their role in it. The actor that plays Lafayette was saying "Its cool. How many people can actually say they were in a comic book?" And the actress that plays Pam was making fun of something going on at Fangtasia.

Oh, and Alcide will be hanging around for sure. Alan Ball confirmed it during the Comic Con panel session and I'm pretty sure thats were AB hinted that Eric will be losing his memory next season!

message 33: by Cary (new)

Cary (vortigern) I like TrueBlood and all the characters. Mainly what I dig most is how Bill, Jessica, and Sookie make the perfect little vampire/human mixed relationship. It may not last. But it's really cool that they will remain friends. Their is much more to Bill than appears at the surface. The Queen made out to Eric like Bill was just a subject. However he is in the Queens employ, and knows exactly what Sookie is. I am curious to see just what that is. :)

message 34: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) Do you think the show is going to run with her fairy blood storyline? I mean in terms of coming out and saying, yes Sookie you can read people's mind because you are half fairy and you can zap people because you are half fairy. it was mentioned in the books that Sookie's telepathy is not a fairy power but then what else could it be? The author isn't giving us anything else to go on. I can't believe that you would give a character a power and have no basis of where it came from.

message 35: by Cary (new)

Cary (vortigern) In the books Sookie can't zap anyone with light or jolt them with a shock. All she can do is read minds,and if I remember right there is no direct mention as to whether thats a fairy power of not. Barry the Bell Boy certainly ain't no fairy. However the show may take a whole different direction. They said that Sookies blood had no type. Sookie may be full fairy or part fairy. Claudine may show Sookie how to use those powers. Or Claudine may only exist in Sookies unconcious world. There is no telling with Ball and his writers coming up with concepts very different from the book. Just have to wait and see :)

message 36: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments My boyfriend was bored with this week's episode. I was upset to see Sookie hook back up with Bill, especially since you just saw the obvious connection with her and Alcide.

@ Ranata, I think Sookie is just way stronger right now because of all of Bill's blood she has that he gave her in the hospital. That is how she was able to kcik some serious butt! And I do agree that the Hadley visit was just plain strange and too abrupt though she said all she was allowed to say.

I have to say, and I know I am in the minority here, that I did not like the male/male scenes. I understand the purpose they have in the story line, but just not my cup of tea to say the least. I know that Eric is giving Russell a massive amount of payback here, but poor Talbot. Sure he was a bit hoyty toyty and high mainentance, but he was OK. OH and someone mentioned that they were wondering about Franklin....well Talbot was saying that he was cleaning his brains off the walls so I am led to believe that Tara managed to sever his head clean off while she was demolishing it!

I have a feeling that in the show AB is going to make all of Sookie's powers based on the Fairy Blood, though I am curious how they are going to bring Claudine back in. Wasn't she first hanging out with Tara in the books???

I agree that Holly looks "off". Not what I would have pictured her to be, but glad for the witch story line coming into play...

message 37: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 471 comments Mod
Did we cover the Calvin/were meth thing in this string?
SPOILER ALERT!!!!
Calvin is a good guy in the books and what's the deal with the meth and him being a total scuz bucket?

message 38: by Cary (last edited Aug 10, 2010 09:32AM) (new)

Cary (vortigern) Sookies conextion with Alcide is one of gratitude. For helping her rescue Bill. It was so nice to see Sookie, Bill, and Jessica back together just like it was before Bills awful kidnap. Did you not notice how hard Sookie tried to talk sense into Debbie, and make her understand Alcide was the one who truely loved her. It was the reason Sookie did not kill Debbie right of the bat. Was so pleased to see Bill & Sookie, and Jessica working like a team. Even if they don't stay together they will always be friends. Just like in the books. I love Bill he is such a righteous dude. I like Lafayette allot to. Tallbot was just a nelly little queen. It was to sweet seeing Eric stake him. That's what I love about Eric. He is so cold blooded,ruthless,and self serving. :)

message 39: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments Hi Nicole.

Not sure we covered it in this string, but I have declared my loathe for that change from the books many times in discussions since they were introduced. It bothers me to no end. Some changes work for the show, others I think degrades it. I think the Hot Shot Meth community falls into the latter category! I just don't understand what possible purpose that could serve....

message 40: by Cary (last edited Aug 10, 2010 09:50AM) (new)

Cary (vortigern) Because the Hot Shot community reflects relatable real life situations. Stories have to have their villians. Since the TOS is gone. Now they have some drug dealing were gangsters. In the books I thoght the were panthers were a bit much. One to many types of were. Its like if there are all these types of were's out there. Why have people never noticed the were's before.

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 471 comments Mod
Can't they be scary, secretive and slightly trashy like the books without incorporating meth? I agree Jessie. I don't like that change one bit. Plus Calvin and Sookie's bond is such an important part of the books. I guess that is totally scrapped now...

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Nicole wrote: "Can't they be scary, secretive and slightly trashy like the books without incorporating meth? I agree Jessie. I don't like that change one bit. Plus Calvin and Sookie's bond is such an important pa..."

Yep, the HotShot mess is definitely a negative change from the books. Book Calvin respected Sookie a lot and trusted her (remember when he asked her to marry him). It doesn't look like we are going to get that connection in the TV show.

And I really wanted to see Alcide and Sookie dating in the show. I know they don't get too serious in the books but the brief dating period was cute and I was hoping to see that play out.

message 43: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments I always wanted to see Sookie end up with Alcide in the books. Even still, I have hope!

I watch the preview for next week and already want to kick Crystal in her square head! I do not like where they are turning this at all!!!

message 44: by Cary (new)

Cary (vortigern) One of the things that makes trueblood entertaining is it's differences from the books. You never know what to exactly expect. So it's not so predictable. Having the were panthers chosen to be villianous meth dealers in the show makes them really wicked. Like when Crystal is talking about what a good cook she is to Jason. Jason asks what she can cook, and her response is meth stupid. Definitly it makes Hotshot come across as really bad. Calvin was always honorable in the books. The werepanthers were a strange bunch. But if you were a werepanther fan in the book I can see how this would be a real distasteful. :)

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) I wasn't really a were-panther fan but I did like Calvin and Sookie's friendship. Just sorry to see that go to waste in the show. I guess its just hard to adjust because the storyline is so far off from the books in this case. I wonder what made AB decide to make them all meth dealers and so unlikable.

message 46: by Cary (new)

Cary (vortigern) Yeah it is a shame but the werepanthers being a secretive, and isolated community made them perfect for some kind of criminal enterprise. He needed a powerful group for Jason to take on, and to rescue crystal from. One thing I will say is the show Crystal is a lot more likeable than the book Crystal so far. :)

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanbevans) Cary wrote: "Yeah it is a shame but the werepanthers being a secretive, and isolated community made them perfect for some kind of criminal enterprise. He needed a powerful group for Jason to take on, and to res..."

Crystal in the show is MUCH sweeter than in the books - I totally agree. In TB, she's about the only sympathetic Hotshot character so far. Maybe she and Jason will be happier together on tv than in the books - I'd like to see that :)

message 48: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) I don't like the meth dealing were panthers. I liked Calvin in the books. Crystal, I can care less about the TB version or the book version. I know it said in the books, Sookie was part fairy. That's why all the vampires want her blood and why she is "different" I didn't like the explanation or lack there of about how Sookie was able to have telepathy. I recall in the books, when Sookie met her fairy grandfather (spoiler alert) she asked if the telepathy was a fairy trait and he said no. However it has to come from somewhere. I hope AB does go into Sookie's fairy bloodline story. That needs to more attention.

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) Cary wrote: "Yeah it is a shame but the werepanthers being a secretive, and isolated community made them perfect for some kind of criminal enterprise. He needed a powerful group for Jason to take on, and to res..."

I definitely agree about Crystal. I couldn't stand her in the books but so far in the show she hasn't done anything that I can hold against her. She is very likable. Maybe its because she is playing more of a victim in the show, whereas in the books she was a controlling hag.

message 50: by Cary (new)

Cary (vortigern) Yeah Crystal was a real ho in the books. This Crystal seems like an innocent, carefree young girl. There is more to her than meets the eye. Her family needs her to much to let Jason just walk of with her. It's going to be interesting. I can't wait to see how Jason and Andy Belafluer bungle their way through this.

« previous 1