Science Fiction Book Club discussion

The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
This topic is about The Magicians
Monthly Group Books > The Magicians

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Laura (lorseng) | 17 comments I went ahead and created this topic. Hope that's OK. I wanted to get my thoughts down while it's still reasonably fresh. I have given any plot spoilers, but it might affect your impression of the book if you haven't read it yet.

Overall I really enjoyed reading this book, but I can see how people could go on and on with criticisms of it. Despite being dark, I don’t think it’s a book to take too seriously.
It didn’t live up to the description given on Goodreads, which was over selling it. There was no character development - they just all kept changing every so often. Quentin in particular, kept changing his outlook on life a lot, but it was usually dependent on the situation. He was a mostly empty shell at the beginning and the same at the end. I felt no empathy towards any other characters either.
However, the beginning really grabbed me and it pulled me through until the end. I don’t think I’d ever want to go back a read it again, but I’m glad I read it once. It was a strange book, not so much in the storyline but the way it was written a developed. It sort of just got on and told the story and didn’t try to be too flashy – at least that’s the way I saw it. It is a book about magicians with all the *magic* removed.

Tobias Taylor (tobstaylor) | 177 comments Mod
Yeah that's fine. I was disorganized in getting hold of this book so I'm still reading it. So sorry for that. I haven't read your review but I will once I've finished the book.

Tobias Taylor (tobstaylor) | 177 comments Mod
Well here's my review and it seems that my view is quite different from yours.

This book only just justified the five stars I gave it. Make no mistake I was pulled in by this book and the writing was superb, achieving what is rarely done in making me feel how the character felt. It was phenomenal how the writer managed to write in character emotions, a feat which is, as I said, rarely achieved. However, the writer's story didn't do the writer writing and characters justice. A lot of the abstract story felt like it was almost completely taken from C.S. Lewis' 'The Chronicles Of Narnia' series. I also accept that this is not a book for everyone, being as to enjoy the book you have to connect with at least one of the characters. I feel sorry this book didn't realise it's full potential but I will surely read any other book from this author. I was hard pushed to give five stars but all books have their flaws and this book had so many qualities that I look for in one.