The Next Best Book Club discussion

TNBBC's Lists > top ten favorite books as of today

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
HeatherR.. I like the title to this list! This one is sure to be an interesting one :)

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather Wow, this is hard! Here's my all time top ten favorite books as of today (yesterday it was different, tomorrow will probably be the same).
These are in no particular order.

1. The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
2. The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde
3. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
4. The Prince of Tides - Pat Conroy
5. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
6. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
7. The Stand - Stephen King
8. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
9. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
10. The Gold Bug Variations - Richard Powers

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Thanks Lori! Yesterday, I thought about grouping my favorite books by mood swings. Hmmm.

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

for me: this is truely day to day...
here we go...
in random order:

1) Blindness - Jose Saramago
2) Death of an Ordinary Man - Glen Duncan
3) The Third Policeman - Flann O'Brien
4) The Mysterious Island - Jules Verne
5) The Stupidest Angel - Christopher Moore
6) The Road - Cormac McCarthy
7) The Book of Samson - David Maine
8) Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay
9) Odd Thomas - Dean Koontz
10)Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

message 5: by ScottK (last edited Jul 10, 2008 04:52PM) (new)

ScottK | 535 comments I think I may go for top ten this week, possibly month:(In no particular order of course)

1) The Shadow of the Wind- Carlos Ruis Zafon
2) Lord of the Rings- J.R.R. Tolken
3) Watership Down- Richard Adams
4) The Name of the Wind -Patrick Rothfuss
5) A Conspiracy of Paper- David Liss
6) A Season for the Dead- David Hewson
7) Gone for Good- Harlan Coben
8) Wizard's First Rule- Terry Goodkind
9) Pawn to Queen Four- Lars Eighner
10)The Alienist- Caleb Carr

message 6: by Chloe (last edited Jun 30, 2008 09:46AM) (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments Nice lists, all! Seth, it's nice to see you around these parts more often. I love both of your lists so far, the above and the "never heard of" list. I can't wait to check out all of the recommendations.

My favorites list (for today) is:

10) Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
09) Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
08) Island by Aldous Huxley
07) Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse
06) Lamb by Christopher Moore
05) Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates by Tom Robbins
04) Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain
03) Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
02) Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres
01) Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger

This is, of course, subject to change a moment's notice.

message 7: by Emma (last edited Jun 30, 2008 03:29PM) (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments 1. The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray
2. Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
3. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
4. Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
5. Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
6. Journey to The River Sea by Eva Ibbotson
7. The Star of Kazan by Eva Ibbotson
8. The Princess Pawn (and Mage) by Maggie L Wood.
9. The Teenage Liberation Handbook
10. A Diet for a New America by Jon Robbins

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Logan, I have Fear and Loathing on my shelf, waiting to be read. My hubby bought it for me as one of my Mothers Day presents, I just havent managed to pick it up out of the pile yet. Maybe I should do so soon, huh?

message 9: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments Maybe it's just me, but that was one of the most essential books of my teen years. It inspired much madness/greatness in my life. It's a key book in the cultural echelon, I couldn't recommend it more.

When I was in school I was lucky enough to take a writing workshop led by Thompson and I can honestly say that his personality was a whirlwind. You know how some people tend to command the room the moment they come in? That was Thompson, but he did it with such self-deprecating humor and madness that you couldn't help wanting to go wherever he led.

message 10: by Tisha (new)

Tisha wow... i am glad you titled this "favorite books of TODAY" because i can almost guarantee it will change tomorrow or later tonight when i remember some favorites i missed.

here is my favorites of THIS MOMENT:

1. The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillpa Gregory
2. The Lytton Family trilogy by Penny Vincenzi
(No Angel, Something Dangerous, & Into Temptation)
3. Forever by Pete Hamill
4. Angels & Demons by Dan Brown
5. Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant
6. The Villa by Nora Roberts
7. Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
8. Dark Tower Series by Stephen King
9. Social Crimes by Jane Hitchcock
10. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1826 comments Tied for 1st place - (OUTLANDER, DRAGONFLY IN AMBER, VOYAGER, DRUMS OF AUTUMN, THE FIERY CROSS & A BREATH OF SNOW AND ASHES by Gabaldon of course)

7. Jane Eyre by Bronte
8. Gone With the Wind by Mitchell
9. Little Women by Alcott
10. The Winthrop Woman by Anya Seton

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily as of today...

1. The Sound and The Fury : William Faulkner
2. To Kill A Mockingbird : Harper Lee
3. Life of Pi : Yann Martel
4. The World According to Garp : John Irving
5. Running With Scissors : Augusten Burroughs
6. Bel Canto : Ann Patchett
7. Crime and Punishment :Fyodor Dostoevsky
8. Wuthering Heights : Emily Bronte
9. A Three Dog Life : Abigail Thomas
10. Animal Farm : George Orwell

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments Emily -- I just read about Bel Canto somewhere & added it to my TBR. Tell me more about it as someone who read it and loved it:)

message 14: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) I can't believe I have not read Chuck Palahniuk yet, I have heard so many great things about his work. Great lists everyone!

message 15: by Kathy McC (new)

Kathy McC 1. Gone With the Wind Mitchell
2. Of Mice & Men Steinbeck
3. The Kite Runner Hosseini
4. Chasing Fireflies Martin
5. 19 Minutes Picoult
6. Prince of Tides Conroy
7. Daisy Fae & the Miracle Man Flagg
8. Old Man & the Sea Hemingway
9. Pride & Prejudice Austin
10. Heart is a Lonely Hunter McCullers

message 16: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) I have a question about Jodi Picoult, I have seen her books for sale and she has been mentioned here many times as a favorite. What genre would you guys place her in?

message 17: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Today my top ten are:
1-The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath loved this book!
2-The Road by Cormac McCarthy
3-The Stand by Stephen King
4-The Outlander by Diana Galbaldon
5-Music of Razors
6-Blindness by Jose Saramago
7-March by Geraldine Brooks
8-To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
9-Animal Farm-George Orwell
10-City of Shadows by Ariana Franklin

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments Lorena -- That's a good question!! Her stuff is mostly about serious topics (like teen suicide, rape accusations, etc.) that deal with moral issues within a family situation, but they are fiction. I'm not sure what that makes them? I think I have her books on my "Gets You Thinking/Talking" shelf...

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 103 comments 1.the pillars of the earth-ken follet2.the stand -stephen king 3.the gunsinger series-stephen king 4.angelas ashes-frank mccourt 5.the godfather -mario puzo 6.the cellar richard laymon7.it stephen king 8.the diary of anne frank 9.the client john grisham 10.lord of the rings trilogy

message 20: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) Thanks Katie, what has kept me away was the feeling that they were romance novels, maybe it is the covers ... They always have her novels at Sam's I need to pick up one of them next time I am in, and see what all the fuzz is about ... ;o)

message 21: by Val (new)

Val (valz) | 367 comments I love the idea of top ten books AS OF TODAY. that captures the essence of reading.

message 22: by Emily (new)

Emily Katie -- Sorry it has taken me so long in getting back to you - I am in the midst of moving.

I loved Bel Canto so much because of the depth Patchett gave to her characters, and while some were very different people [terrorists & hostages] you could see the similarities in their lives, and what drives people to do things.

I haven't read it in a few years, I was thinking about reading it again soon to see if I still feel the same way about it. Let me know what you think of it when you get to reading it.

message 23: by Meghann (new)

Meghann | 49 comments 1. Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult
2. A Dog Called Kitty by Bill Wallace--its been a favorite of mine since 3rd grade. I read it to my students every year.
3. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
4. This Much I Know Is True by Wally Lamb
5. The Scandalous Summer of Sissy LeBlanc by Loraine Despres
6. The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club by Laurie Notaro
7. Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz
8. I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle
9. On the Road by Jack Kerouac
10. Maus 1 & 2 by Art Spiegelman

message 24: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Oh Emily...you're moving? I feel for you. I really, REALLY do!!

message 25: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments Here it is:

1.The Gemma Doyle Trilogy (need you ask)?
2. Stargirl (amazing)!
3. Love, Stargirl (more amazing)!
4. The Journey to The River Sea
5. The Star of Kazan
6. Just Listen
7. A Diet for a New America (Whoa! I've actually put something in that isn't YA)!
8. Fat Land
9. Rosalie's Ex (I don't usually talk about it, but it's fantastic).
10. One More River (I just want to put this in because I found the title today thanks to the What's the Name of That Book group)

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments Only ten, eh? Off the cuff, for TODAY, here goes...

1. Eleven Seconds by Travis Roy
2. Body Check by Deirdre Martin
3. Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin
4. Concrete Blonde by Michael Connelly
5. Valentine by Tom Savage
6. My Sergei by Ekaterina Gordeeva
7. Where Are the Children by Mary Higgins Clark
8. A Darkness More Than Night by Michael Connelly
9. See Jane Score by Rachel Gibson
10. The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith (I know it's a series, but they all go together so I'm counting it as one!)

message 27: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 95 comments Top ten as of today -

1 - The Harry Potter Series
2 - IT - Stephen King
3 - Lord of the Rings Trilogy
4 - The Poisonwood Bible
5 - Blood and Gold - Anne Rice
6 - The Book Thief
7 - Dracula - Bram Stroker
8 - Frankenstien - Mary Shelley
9 - The Dante Club
10 - The Shakespeare Secret

I can't always remember the author.

message 28: by Emily (new)

Emily Thanks Charity! Moving is getting very very old... but we have 2 extra bedrooms in the new apartment and one is going to be our library, so I can't complain too much!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to give this a shot, but will probably have to cheat by looking at my 5 star ratings.

Not necessarily in order and not counting non-fiction or audio books (strange quirk):
1) Cider House Rules - John Irving
2) Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer
3) East of Eden - John Steinbeck
4) Native Son - Richard Wright
5) A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
6) A Widow For One Year - John Irving
7) The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien
8) The Color Purple - Alice Walker
9) The Stand - Stephen King
10) The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck.

Wow, that was difficult and left off some great authors like Michael Connolly and Cormac McCarthy.

message 30: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Jeremy,The Stand is one of my favourites.

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mcd724) | 117 comments As of this moment...no particular order...and subject to change at any moment...

Pillars of the Earth by Follett
Pride and Prejudic by Austen
The Secret Life of Bees by Kidd
Bel Canto by Patchett
Contact by Sagan
Acts of Faith by Segal
Beach Music by Conroy
Walden by Thoreau
Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows by Rowling
Ender's Game by Card

message 32: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I'm currently reading Enders Game.Did you read it when you were younger?I'm wondering if one's age makes a significant difference for loving the book.

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mcd724) | 117 comments I first read it about six years ago. But I read it recently...to make sure it was appropriate for a 13 year old...and I still really enjoyed it...I don't know...I suppose it might not be everyone's cup of tea. But as someone who typically doesn't enjoy the genre, it still manages to suck me in every time...and I have even read a few more of the series...I have to say that I only really enjoyed about 2 of the following books...It sounds like you aren't really enjoying it, though....

message 34: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

I keep seeing Enders Game pop up all over the place. Maybe I need to look into it.. then again, its YA sort of, isnt it? I dont seem to have much luck with the YA genre.

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mcd724) | 117 comments I guess it would qualify as YA...but I definitely read it in my 20s and still enjoyed it...but I wouldn't say I have the most sophisticated tastes. What struck me about the book was that it was unlike anything I had ever read. Although, that is possibly because I read Ender's Shadow immediately afterwards and it was a great shift in perspective...

message 36: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments I had no idea that it was viewed as YA until I shelved copies of it in both the YA and the SciFi section while working at Borders. I'm still surprised that some people consider it such. Lori, you should read Ender's Game, but if you feel that it's too childish then you should pick up its sequel, Speaker for the Dead, which is definitely not YA and deals with some of the most interesting issues I've ever come across.

message 37: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

I have added it to my list to buy. Its not that I think YA is too childish (oh god, do I come across that way!) ... Ive just had a tough time with them as of late. I reread Wrinkle In Time, and read The Book Thief and just wasnt able to surrender to them the way I normally do with a novel. Could just be the authors, or the storylines....

message 38: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I'm enjoying Enders Game,though I don't think as much as others may have.I've been having trouble with the whole idea of the world's security resting on children's shoulders.However I thought if the author had intended his readers to be younger than this would make more sense and give the story a different context for me.

I wanted to try something in this genre and I've heard that this book is a good place to start.

message 39: by Lori (last edited Jul 11, 2008 12:55AM) (new)

Lori Ender's Game is a book that crosses beyond YA. I'm not even sure Orson Scott Card wrote it for kids, he's more of an adult writer. A kid can love it because a kid is the hero and it seems to be about fighting and computer games. But I read it when I was 40 and absolutely loved it. And while I think Speaker for the Dead is excellent, it helps if you read Ender's Game first, just to see where he's come from.

My top 10 as of this minute, I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff!

War and Peace - Tolstoy
The Amber Chronicles - Zelazny
The House of Niccolo and The Lymond Chronicles - Dorothy Dunnett
Last Call - Tim Powers
Doomsday Book - Connie Willis
The Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas
Kristin Lavransdatter - Sigrid Undset
Gormenghast Vol 1 and 2 - Mervin Peake
Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Murakami
Tie between Crime and Punishment and One Hundred Years of Solitude

message 40: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments Hayley -- I just got The Dante Club yesterday...it sounds sooooooo good. Did you LOVE it?? Was it an edge-of-your-seat thriller or did you kind of figure it out before the end? Oooooo...I can't wait!!!

message 41: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 95 comments I really enjoyed reading it Katie, it kept me on the edge of my seat and I actually didn't work out who the killer was till near the end, which to me is a sign of a well written thriller. I loved the reference to Dante and I am planning on reading Dante's Paradiso and Inferno at some point.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Sherry - Yeah, I loved the Stand. I liked other King books but felt that this was his most complete and serious novel. I read it in my late teens and hope to reread it again someday. I had almost given up on him lately but Lisey's Story was a really good comeback for him in my opinion. And of course, I need to read the Dark Tower Series which means reading the Gunslinger all over because it was long enough ago that I forgot a lot of it.

I'm interested in the Enders Game conversation as I just bought the series for my 12 year old upon recommendation. I plan on reading it, too.

Lori - I have had War and Peace and Crime and Punishment on my bookshelf for several years. I know they are great books, I just haven't brought myself to read them yet. Tin Drum is another in that category. Is there a perceived best to be read list??

message 43: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Jeremy,that's how I feel about The Stand.I read when I was younger and had already read about 3 or 4 books of his.The Stand was so different from what I had been used to and I really appreciated the layers of the story.

I enjoyed Lisey's Story as well,I loved the idea of the pool.

I am back to working on the Dark Tower series,I'm at book 2 and I'm enjoying it.

I finished Enders Game and I would say it is a good novel for your son.It was interesting and the part of the plot that I found difficult to believe resolved itself in a satisfying way.

message 44: by Kiki (new)

Kiki | 22 comments This is really difficult! But as for now my 10 favorites are:

The Book Thief - Zusak
Lord of the Rings trilogy - Tolkien
The Stand - King
Watership Down - Adams
Ender's Game - Card
Lamb - Moore
Plainsong - Haruf
Secret Life of Bees - Kidd
To Kill a Mockingbird - Lee
The Princess Bride - Goldman

message 45: by Richard (new)

Richard | 46 comments Here's my list of favourites from Amazon, plus bullet reviews. My own book is on there, too, but you'll find I managed to review it with tongue firmly in cheek.

Books To Be Buried or Burnt With Me

PS: Like most authors, I have a glaring ulterior motive for joining any group, but I promise not to tell you what it is.

message 46: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments Richard, the difference is, unlike SOME other authors (the ones in the spammer's circle in hell!) you actually participate in the group... therefore people are more likely to actually want to check out your book!

message 47: by Richard (new)

Richard | 46 comments Eureka! My fiendish plot has worked! I have you...

Oops, I think I've blown it....

Hi Kirsty - Fortunately, my US distributor has run out of stock, so I won't be able to foist my tome on you (that sounds pretty revolting actually).

message 48: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments lmao... yeah you might wanna re-phrase that!

message 49: by Richard (new)

Richard | 46 comments "lump you with my volume"?

message 50: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

uhm... word play, eh? interesting.... very interesting....

« previous 1 3