Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Recommendations > Children's Books

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (last edited Aug 07, 2010 02:42PM) (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments I want to start a little library for my baby cousin (don't know yet if it's a boy or a girl). I wanted some input on the books I already have, and if you have any favorites from your childhood that you think every child should read.

These are the books I have so far:
Oh, the Places You'll Go!
The Giving Tree
The Monster at the End of this Book
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
Mercer Mayer's "Little Critter" books

Any suggestions are welcome!!!

message 2: by Lexi (new)

Lexi (theonecalledwhatsername) | 651 comments Goodnight Moon!
I had my mom read it to me so many times that i had it memorized :)

message 3: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments The strangest thing is, everyone talks about that one and I never remember reading it!

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana oh yea!!! Don't forget about Goodnight Moon! My mom used to read that to me all the time.

message 5: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments I will definitely keep that one in mind, then! ;)

message 6: by ★ Jess (last edited Aug 07, 2010 08:09PM) (new)

★ Jess  | 4296 comments Mod
Okay, i dont think you will have read it-but by far my favorite childrens book is: Love You Forever.
Its so sweet, and Taylor, if you have a look on my 5-star-shelf this is one of the very few books you will find there.

Along with that, i would also suggest Go, Dog. Go! Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book Big Dog, Little Dog

and thinking about it Hop on Pop is an absolute MUST! It was a definite favorite of mine, and no doubt started my love for words :)

message 7: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments That one is on my 5-star list, too. I LOVE that one. Only reason I'm not going to contribute it to my cousin's library is that it's a very common baby shower gift for the mama.

Anyways that is like the sweetest book ever. Especially now that I'm older, and I understand it more.

message 8: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Any Dr. Seuss. No question about that. Me, my siblings, and my cousins (on my mom's side) were practically raised on his books (of course, for my siblings and me it was split with anything Disney...anyways....), and the cartoons they made from his books are excellent- even now we can go in and sing along with them (and my older sister used to be able to quote it word for word [she's a couple years younger then Amelia:].....or that may be Harry 1 [the movie:] that im thinking of... lolz) and we get most of the words right. :)

message 9: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Oh! and Max Lucado's children's books (if you don't mind a lil bit of christian themes) like You Are Special, If Only I Had a Green Nose, and The Oak Inside the Acorn.

message 10: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments Those all sound great! Thank you!

message 11: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4296 comments Mod
You Are Special I totally and utterly agree with that!!!!!

OH OH OH OH OH, and also you should look into Winnie the Witch Collection by Valerie Thomas
They were one of my favorites growing.
And the illustrations are WONDERFUL! The child will love the pictures :)

message 12: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments I will take a look at those!! ;)

message 13: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Yeah. Max Lucado has a bunch more children's books out, but those are the ones that I've read

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

anything illustrated by hilary knight are fabulious!

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (aeimaginer12) woo-hoo, glad YOU ARE SPECIAL is getting some love :P
Two of my favorite classics (for kids) are The Secret Garden and Anne of Green Gables

message 16: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments :) You Are Special is a great books. :)

message 17: by Kacey Rai (new)

Kacey Rai | 131 comments The Toy Hospital by Elaine Mills is one of my favourites =D

message 18: by Justin (new)

Justin (jmangino) I was a big fan of Are You My Mother?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

knuffle bunny is amazing :)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Heck yeah! This was my absolute favorite. :) I read it all the time! A Bad Case of Stripes

message 22: by Diana (new)

Diana Sydney (The Zombie) wrote: "Heck yeah! This was my absolute favorite. :) I read it all the time! A Bad Case of Stripes"

Oh yea! That one's good!

One book that I like when I was younger was The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup and a Spool of Thread.

message 23: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments I remember all of those!!! All good ones, too. ;)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Diana wrote: "Sydney (The Zombie) wrote: "Heck yeah! This was my absolute favorite. :) I read it all the time! A Bad Case of Stripes"

Oh yea! That one's good!

One book that I like when I was youn..."

*Spazz* That's my absolute favorite book from when I was a kid! (By kid I mean 2nd-5th Grade)

message 25: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (taylorjaylene) | 4557 comments I loved that one... I remember reading it out loud in like kindergarten...

message 26: by Ji Mei (new)

Ji Mei Do you mean little kid's books? One of my favorite was the one about Princess Furball.

message 27: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments OMG! I remember A Bad Case of Stripes! I loved that one!

message 28: by Grace (new)

Grace (gracefulreads) Good Night Moon my dad read that to me when I was little and the biscuit series about the dog those were some of the first books I have ever read!

message 29: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 2 comments Here are a few I think you wil enjoy.
Pat the Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by by Bill Martin Jr., Eric Carle (Illustrator)
Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes. by Mem Fox

message 30: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 2 comments Tricia wrote: "Here are a few I think you wil enjoy.
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by by Bill Martin Jr., Eric Carle (Illustrator)
Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little..."

Here are a few I think you will enjoy.
Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes. by Mem Fox

message 31: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin Pulioff Can't forget, where the wild things are... There's also a great list on listopia, library for a little lady if they gave a girl... I know my girl has most if those. :)

message 32: by Erica (new)

Erica | 98 comments You need some Dr. Seuss books!

message 33: by Marleny (new)

Marleny (marladuke) | 14 comments Sandra Boynton has adorable baby/toddler books like The Going to Bed Book and so many more.

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 20, 2013 05:35AM) (new)

Marleny wrote: "Sandra Boynton has adorable baby/toddler books like The Going to Bed Book and so many more."

I love those! Also, Press Here is a fun, colourful book for all ages

message 35: by Jenny (new)

Loveless Jenny (SaigeKaylee) | 1 comments Brown Bear Brown Bear. Cute rhyming book. They are usually a cardboard book so baby can chew on it. Cute books. There are others too. It's a series. can't remember the other names though.

message 36: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 43 comments I just remembered today--McElligot's Pool was my favorite in kindergarten! Also try"I Can't," Said the Ant.

message 37: by Mary (last edited Aug 14, 2013 05:48AM) (new)

Mary Filmer | 15 comments Mary Sumeridge Beginnings by Mary FilmerMary Sumeridge: Beginnings
I really loved the Wind in the Willows.
But I guess it really matters how old the children are.
I also loved the Harry Potters books. Mary Filmer Children's Author. http://maryfilmer.com/

message 38: by A (last edited Aug 29, 2013 05:41AM) (new)

A H All Enid Blyton books!! They're perfect for children!! And also - Diary of A Wimpy Kid series.

message 39: by Mary (last edited Aug 30, 2013 04:01AM) (new)

Mary Filmer | 15 comments Mary Sumeridge Beginnings by Mary Filmer
My grandson really likes the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series and you would be right Enid Blyton is really great. Mary.

message 40: by Claire (new)

Claire Smileyface | 5 comments Any Dr.Suess, and No David.

message 41: by Alyssa Joyce (new)

Alyssa Joyce (alyssuugh) | 14 comments The Lorax! just anything by Dr. Seuss!! love his books when I was little

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (other topics)
The Giving Tree (other topics)
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (other topics)
Oh, The Places You'll Go! (other topics)
The Monster at the End of this Book (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mercer Mayer (other topics)
Valerie Thomas (other topics)