The Glass Castle The Glass Castle discussion

Could not put down

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Cayce It is unbelieveable that people really do grow up this way and make it out on the "the other side." I thoroughly enjoyed it and an hoping to another book that is similar. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Viola Well, there's Running with Scissors, but I didn't like it nearly as much as The Glass Castle.

message 3: by S (new) - rated it 4 stars

S There's Half Broke Horses. I haven't read it yet, but I know it's by Walls and it's about her grandmother.

D.G. Viola wrote: "Well, there's Running with Scissors, but I didn't like it nearly as much as The Glass Castle."

Agree, Viola. The Glass Castle is definitely the better of the two.

Hannah I read this for a book report in eighth grade because my mom's friend said it was really good. At first, i was kind of like whatever. Once i got into it, thought, i could not put it down. I read this book in just over two days, and read it again because it was so good. Not just the story itself, but the way Jeannette Walls writes of her experiences draws you in until you can't stop.

Grace I absolutely loved this memoir. I lent it to so many ppl and they all read through it within days. Haven't yet found a memoir to compare to this one.

Rusty Enjoyed The Glass Castle so much that I read it twice and I rarely reread books!

Jimmy Terrific book. Sad to say, in New Hampshire there were examples of parents complaining about that book being on a summer reading list. Here's one story:

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/8...

Kadie Bennion This was such an interesting book. I had never really considered that some people might make the choice to be homeless. Jeannette's parents were people with college degrees, so it wasn't a lack of education. It made me think about what it would really be like to live in a family like hers and admire her even more for what she chose to make of her life in spite of her upbringing.

Sgilbert If you liked this, then you MUST read Half Broke Horses. It absolutely explains how her mother became to be the person she was and the type of mother she was.... Her mother was quite the character, to say the least.

Esther liked these books; I was very disappointed that the movie Running W/ Scissors was so ridiculous.

Jennifer I didn't care for this book. The language throughout is the reason I won't have my children read it. I wouldn't want it on a book list.
I had somewhat of a hard time getting through this book. It was so sad. I had to really be on a high in my life to read a couple of chapters. What I did take away from it was that I want to be a much better mom than the mom in this book

message 13: by drew (new) - rated it 5 stars

drew I am not out of school yet, and I read it.

message 14: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam Jones Jimmy wrote: "Terrific book. Sad to say, in New Hampshire there were examples of parents complaining about that book being on a summer reading list. Here's one story:

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/8......"

Censorship is never a good idea.

message 15: by drew (new) - rated it 5 stars

drew It's so terrible.

message 16: by Kimberly (last edited Apr 27, 2011 08:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimberly Hartwig Absolutely loved this book! I think it was phenomenal, I couldn't put it down and bought several copies for friends!
While reading the book I continuously reminded myself it was real. It is so hard to imagine children living in those conditions. When I finished I was emotionally exhausted.
I can't wrap my mind around the fact parents would frown on high school aged children reading this book. The book is an amazing example of why children should be accepting of different backgrounds. For instance, Jeannette dealt with bullying. It is unfortunate that anyone would grow up in these circumstances but I feel it is better to be aware than to live in a "happy" bubble.

Katie Hannah Wrote: "I read this for a book report in eighth grade because my mom's friend said it was really good. At first, i was kind of like whatever. Once i got into it, thought, i could not put it down. I read this book in just over two days, and read it again because it was so good. Not just the story itself, but the way Jeannette Walls writes of her experiences draws you in until you can't stop."

This exact same thing happened to me. Literally down to every word.
The second time I thought it was even better than the first and I would love to read Half Broke Horses. Great story with great writing.

Abbey I read half broke horses in one day and the next day I finished The glass castle. Tehy insantly became my favorite books. I still find it hard to believe the author grew up as she did.

message 19: by Carol (last edited May 21, 2011 01:02PM) (new)

Carol I feel the mother must have been so unattached to her mother growing up, that she felt a real need to live a life so opposite. It's a shame life didn't turn out the way the mother pictured it. All creativity and imagination with no real possessions.

Ashlee Charbonneau I read The Glass Castle as part of a book club started with some ladies from work. It took me a while to start the book, but once I did I did not put it down for two days until I had devoured every word. That's how Walls writes--she makes you ravenous to hear more of her story, she enables a connection to her past and allows you to experience her trials alongside her family. I absolutely LOVED this book, and can't wait to get my hands on Half Broke Horses.

Linda I just finished The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses - both were well written. I love her writing style/voice. Additionally, I was inspired by her unwaivering message of following your dreams, resourcefulness and unconditional love.

Sandra Jones I also read The Glass Castle and Half Broke Horses - loved them both! I can't imagine pulling them from school library shelves. If I had a daughter, I'd love for her to read about these strong women. It's good for teens, of both genders, to know that they can overcome such dire circumstances and go on to lead successful lives. In addition, the book reminds young and old alike that they are NOT their parents. Whatever craziness they endured as young people does not have to be multigenerational. They can take a diferent path.

Bella Street Couldn't put this book down, either. I sure felt like a better mother afterward! LOL

Barbara I also loved The Glass Castle and read it in several days. I am retired and have plenty of time to read, so I am very interested in reading some of the older books that are considered classics and unforgettable. I just finished A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, and it was absolutely wonderful.... I believe Jennifer Wall makes reference to this in her book. It's so real and so poignant. You can get old, used copies of this out-of-print book on Amazon.

Angela Once I started reading this book I could not stop. So much of her experience has been shared silently by others. She brought the issue to light - the unfortunate circumstances that too many children grow up in. However, she is a success story. She "made it." What a great example for others who have taken a "woo is me" attitude and I can't do antyhing because I grew up poor. Reading her story made me think of the conditions my father grew up in. I gave him the book and he loved it!

Rosey Taylor Loved Half Broke Horses as well as this one. Keep watching for anything she publishes now.

message 27: by Judy (last edited Jan 25, 2012 12:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy Schmitz I loved this book and have recommended it to others. Mu neice recommended it to me. I have not read Half Broke Horses because I haven't found it yet.

Joanne I'm glad I read both books. They are best read in order, but they don't have to be.

Raelene Angela wrote: "Once I started reading this book I could not stop. So much of her experience has been shared silently by others. She brought the issue to light - the unfortunate circumstances that too many childre..."

First time I didn't read a "self-help" or psychology book, and it definitely introduced me to the beauty of memoirs and to get such an insight into her life-story; my favorite book by far. I applaud her strength, and seeing the world through her creative, fun, mature, poor, upbringing was fascinating and caused me to really appreciate what I have.

Karen This was the first memoir I've ever read and it makes me want to read more. Hard to think anyone would live like that but sadly it happens. Passed this around to a few friends, amazing story.

Marilyn This is an excellent book!

Cyndee Thomas I too liked this book! I took her story as some people want to live the way she describes her family and the great thing..She found her way out and lives with plenty of food, heat and a home. We read of rags to riches stories but this one seemed like the "rags" were full of "purpose". Could her Parents take care of the children? Were they modern day gypsies? I would and have told others to read this book!

Karen I adored this book. I loved how she describes her totally dysfunctional family with such normality at times. Her formative years were certainly not dull by any means. I have considered Half Broke Horses, and yet, as I am not too interested in horses, have not actually committed to reading it. However, after reading the reviews above, I will go and make the effort to read it

Teresa Scott The Glass Castle is one of my all time favorites. It was hard to put it down once I started. I would recommend this to anyone, especially those who tend to give up when they are faced with the smallest barrier.

Kimberly This book gives new meaning to my definition of a dysfunctional family. An absolute great read that will encourage all to persevere. I am thankful for her honesty.

message 36: by Olga (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olga I absolutely loved this book. One of the best ones I have read recently.

Bookiemom LG This book was awesome! I read the Glass Castle first and truly enjoyed them both. I loved that the author was willing to tell so much about her family. I would highly recommend these books to anyone!

Haley GAHH! I don't even know where to begin with this book because it was SOSOSOS gorgeous and inspiring and honest and everything else good in this worrldd. For the past year, I've seriously been overlooking the power of books and wasn't really interested in reading to the same degree as I was before - I just couldn't get my hands on a book that I actually LOVED. but here it is. The Glass Castle. Jeannette Walls is truly a fantastic writer that I will forever admire and really, by the end of her book I felt like part of the Walls family too! LOVED IT. :)

Crystal I loved this book, couldn't put it down from the moment I picked it up! I could relate to it, not all of it. But her father reminded me of mine. I loved it, and would read it again definitely.

Adrienne Cayce wrote: "It is unbelieveable that people really do grow up this way and make it out on the "the other side." I thoroughly enjoyed it and an hoping to another book that is similar. Any suggestions would be..."

Read Half Broke Horses, also by Jeanette Walls, if you haven't already.

Laurie Overwhelmingly people love this book. I'm fascinated by the few that don't. I wonder if reading about another's tragedy is just too much for some people. I think if a person is battling depression or another psychological malady it could be one more straw on their psychological back and take them down. Yet, I have battled depression and found the book to be utterly inspiring because Ms. Walls made it through the storms of her life.

Elaine Mercado I highly recommend. A true story and mind blowing to try to understand how children can love parents that abuse them and claim to love their children. Amazing story.

Cheryl Hagan I really enjoyed this book. I was overwhelmed at the courage of the kids and how they persevered! I really loved how they loved each other and supported each other... especially as one by one they "got out" and moved on to New York. Just that they were genuinely happy for one and other when they were leaving. I think the parents did the best they knew how. Although I still kept thinking "Those poor kids".

Kevin I can't really say that I like this book, but I had that feeling that I wanted to see how everyone turned out and it is amazing two out of three turned out just fine. I can't even imagine growing up under those circumstances.

My friend had lent me this book and he said this is such a great book but by the time I was half-way through I was like he has to be kidding me.....this book was so pathetically sad and it gave dysfunction a new name.

Jackie Loved this book so much I immediately read the follow up "Half broke horses" (also terrific).

Randi Miller Cayce wrote: "It is unbelieveable that people really do grow up this way and make it out on the "the other side." I thoroughly enjoyed it and an hoping to another book that is similar. Any suggestions would be..."
Try this book...Wonderfully Dysfunctional has the dysfunction of The Glass Castle mixed with the female relationships of Steel Magnolia
Wonderfully Dysfunctional: It Must be Genetic

Marci Before Women had Wings, by Connie Fowler is a good place to start. It isn't exactly memoir but it is based on the authors life. She weaves events and characters into the story that come from her real life. If you do read it, make sure to read the interview with the author at the end. It is very inspirational.

message 48: by Tam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tam Tam Viola wrote: "Well, there's Running with Scissors, but I didn't like it nearly as much as The Glass Castle."
I agree.

message 49: by Tam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tam Tam Cayce wrote: "It is unbelieveable that people really do grow up this way and make it out on the "the other side." I thoroughly enjoyed it and an hoping to another book that is similar. Any suggestions would be..."

I to am amazed that people live this way. I hear stories, but having never known or seen someone live such a crazy life it seems surreal.

Randi Miller The true story of... A gypsy mother who refused to wear a bra and a father who refused to leave his first wife. A brother who slept under the coffee table and a sister who was kidnapped. A cheating minister, a missing uncle and a feisty red-headed grandmother who was longing to leave it all. I always knew my family was unusual, but I was lucky enough to have escaped that gene. Or was I? In a nursing home, seated next to my dying grandmother, I looked around at my family and it occurred to me that I fit right in. No bra, dirty sneakers and two ex husbands. Maybe it really is genetic - maybe I never had a chance. With the help of my siblings, I began a journey of self discovery as we recalled stories of our youth including juicy family secrets, inappropriate practical jokes and betrayal. On a journey to find normal, I found myself instead.Wonderfully Dysfunctional: It Must be Genetic

« previous 1