Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

NOMINATED RHF TITLES > ROMANTIC BIOGRAPHICAL FICTION

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Aug 05, 2010 01:02PM) (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Hi Everyone!
I am currently seeking some great RHF titles set in early America.

I recently read a short blurb about The Winthrop Woman by Anja Seton The Winthrop Woman by Anya Seton . This is actually a romantic biographical fiction based on the life of a puritan woman, Elizabeth Winthrop.

As several of you have given this one positive reviews, I am going to put it on the group shelf.

Do you have any other nominations that are either romantic biographical or set in Colonial America?

I would love to hear from you!

message 2: by Quinn (new)

Quinn | 15 comments Emery, this one is not biographical but is set in Colonial America and is one of my favorite historical romances. Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers Trilogy, #1) by Pamela Clare
It is followed by Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers Trilogy, #2) by Pamela Clare and Ride the Fire (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #3) by Pamela Clare .
If you can ignore the cheesy covers they are all great reads.

message 3: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Quinn wrote: "Emery, this one is not biographical but is set in Colonial America and is one of my favorite historical romances. Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers Trilogy, #1) by Pamela Clare
It is followed by Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers Trilogy, #2) by Pamela Clare and [boo..."

Quinn-
Thank you so much for sharing these! And thanks also to Danielle the Book Huntress for her reviews of these as well. Several of our gang had great things to say about these titles. I had not heard of this author until now, and am dying to read these. The third book in my own trilogy is set during the same era, so this very much interests me.

message 4: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Anya Seton also wrote one on Aaron Burr's daughter, My Theodosia.

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill Quinn wrote: "Emery, this one is not biographical but is set in Colonial America and is one of my favorite historical romances. Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers Trilogy, #1) by Pamela Clare
It is followed by Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers Trilogy, #2) by Pamela Clare and [boo..."

I second these books by Pamela Clare. I'm not sure that there is a whole lot of history in them, but they are really enjoyable reads. The brothers are verra fine.

message 6: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Jill wrote: "Quinn wrote: "Emery, this one is not biographical but is set in Colonial America and is one of my favorite historical romances. Surrender (MacKinnon’s Rangers Trilogy, #1) by Pamela Clare
It is followed by [bookcover:Untamed|371..."

I filed these under HR rather than RHF.

message 7: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Re the Pamela Clare trilogy: Thank You!!!! I have an ongoing "initiative" to read at least one or two novels set in the French & Indian War every year. Much of what I find is more toward the 'manly man' battle-centric type of story so I am thrilled to have something a little more romantic to look forward to.

message 8: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Excellent Sandra! But now I am curious to know why you have so much interest in this particular era.

message 9: by Quinn (last edited Aug 08, 2010 10:08PM) (new)

Quinn | 15 comments Sandra wrote: "Re the Pamela Clare trilogy: Thank You!!!! I have an ongoing "initiative" to read at least one or two novels set in the French & Indian War every year. Much of what I find is more toward the 'man..."

Sandra, hope you love these, and yes, as per Jill and Emery's previous posts, they are definitely historical romance rather than RHF but still well written and the brothers (especially Ian in the first one) are "verra fine" indeed ;)

message 10: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Emery wrote: "Excellent Sandra! But now I am curious to know why you have so much interest in this particular era."

I think it started with my fascination with Ft. Ticonderoga and the area around it. I just find the atmosphere of the place magical and very familiar- perhaps in a past life....???????? I first visited there as a child and still try to go up whenever I can - preferably on an early autumn morning when the mist is still rising off Lake Champlain.

I also have a soft spot for Last of the Mohicans or more specifically Hawkeye. Loved the BBC/Masterpiece version and the TV series starring Lee Horsley, but for some reason NOT the Daniel Day Lewis movie version-go figure. I think I also like reading about this era because it was very much about the frontier and the uncharted land and the native peoples. I've never been really fond of the American Revolution as a setting, maybe because it was so much more settled and "organized" if that makes any sense. The F&I era, to me, was wilder and more romantic in the broader sense of that word.

message 11: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Gaile (kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
To Sandra,
As I read your comment,I had a sudden vision of a young Seneca maiden. You may indeed have had a past life around that area.

message 12: by Quinn (new)

Quinn | 15 comments Sandra wrote: "Emery wrote: "Excellent Sandra! But now I am curious to know why you have so much interest in this particular era."

I think it started with my fascination with Ft. Ticonderoga and the area around ..."

Sandra, I am currently reading Into the Wilderness (Wilderness, #1) by Sara Donati which is about Hawkeye and Cora's son Nathaniel. You might enjoy this one too as Hawkeye plays a prominent role

message 13: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Thanks, Quinn- I did read the Donati book back when it first came out and loved it. I've also read the next 2 in the series but have yet to get to the later volumes. Into the Wilderness was always the "go-to" book when people came to the library asking for a book like Outlander back when it was first so popular. The other one we used to suggest was Deveraux's Knight in Shining Armor.

message 14: by Quinn (new)

Quinn | 15 comments Sandra wrote: "Thanks, Quinn- I did read the Donati book back when it first came out and loved it. I've also read the next 2 in the series but have yet to get to the later volumes. Into the Wilderness was alwa..."

Thanks Sandra, I haven't read Knight in Shining Armor so will have a look

message 15: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) So, I did read Surrender (MacKinnon's Rangers Trilogy, #1) by Pamela Clare and while I do agree it was well-written and the French & Indian war content, though fairly slight, seemed well researched I can't say it will be one of my favorites. Maybe I'm getting too old and dried up but I found the "mushy stuff" to be too much and found myself muttering 'not again' and skimming over a lot of it.

Back in the 'old days' when I read a lot more historical romance the draw was the sexual tension. Everything was longing and holding back and anticipation. We used to call them 'aching loins' stories. It wasn't until book's end that you got the reward- maybe the act itself but more likely the marriage/engagement with the promise of 'ecstasy' to come , fade to black. Somehow I preferred leaving it to the imagination over today's graphic depiction of every body part and position over and over again.

So, sorry Jill, I greatly appreciate this addition to my "F&I Initiative" but it turned out as you had warned me- the MacKinnon trilogy is not quite my cup of tea historically speaking.

[and my husband is actually a MacKinnon on his mother's side.:]

message 16: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Sandra wrote: "So, I did read Surrender (MacKinnon's Rangers Trilogy, #1) by Pamela Clare and while I do agree it was well-written and the French & Indian war content, though fairly slight, seemed well researched I can't say it will be one of..."

Hi Sandra-
I agree with many of your points, and this is exactly why I began this group in the first place.

While I'm still an avid reader of historical romance, I find myself veering away from the authors I used to love who now "over sex" the story and sacrifice the plot.

I've said before, I'm not prudish. I enjoy well written sensuality within the context of a strong story, but if I wanted nothing but sex, I'd read erotica. I don't fault the authors as this is undoubtedly publisher driven (sex sells).

This all reinforces my desire for this group to seek out titles and support authors who represent the best of both worlds - a romantically driven storyline with a strong, intriguing historical plot. Comments ALWAYS welcome! :)

message 17: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Were you a teen-ager in the fifties, Sandra as I too skip over the sex scenes. They didn't start writing these novel with explicit sex until the seventies. In the fifties, there were novels considered too scandalous for my friends and I to read. We ferreted them out and read them anyway! Today these novels seem very tame compared to what has been written since.

message 18: by Jill (new)

Jill Sandra wrote: "So, I did read Surrender (MacKinnon's Rangers Trilogy, #1) by Pamela Clare and while I do agree it was well-written and the French & Indian war content, though fairly slight, seemed well researched I can't say it will be one of..."

<>
Actually I think it was Quinn that originally recommended these books. I seconded them. And, no Sandra they won't add to your 'F&I'. As I said they are light on history. I would place them more in HR than RHF. Still, I did enjoy them.

<>
So, I guess you won't be reading 'Passion' by LV anytime soon then, Sandra?

message 19: by Jill (new)

Jill Emery wrote: "Sandra wrote: "So, I did read Surrender (MacKinnon's Rangers Trilogy, #1) by Pamela Clare and while I do agree it was well-written and the French & Indian war content, though fairly slight, seemed well researched I can't say it..."

That is exactly what I want to, Emery. Although I still read and enjoy 'spicy'. I definitely want history, plot, story, characteristions. I can read a novel whether or not it contains sex or no sex. Just as long as that isn't all there is to it - sex in all its varying positions.

message 20: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Aug 21, 2010 04:31PM) (new)

Jill wrote: "Emery wrote: "Sandra wrote: "So, I did read Surrender (MacKinnon's Rangers Trilogy, #1) by Pamela Clare and while I do agree it was well-written and the French & Indian war content, though fairly slight, seemed well researched ..."

"..in all its varying positions?" I guesss we can nix any nomination of the Kama Sutra then? ;D

message 21: by Jill (new)

Jill Emery wrote: "Jill wrote: "Emery wrote: "Sandra wrote: "So, I did read Surrender (MacKinnon's Rangers Trilogy, #1) by Pamela Clare and while I do agree it was well-written and the French & Indian war content, though fairly slight, seemed wel..."

....hmmm, I dunno about that....

message 22: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Gaile wrote: "Were you a teen-ager in the fifties, Sandra

My teen years were the 60s but I was definitely a late bloomer.

message 23: by Quinn (new)

Quinn | 15 comments Sandra wrote: "So, I did read Surrender (MacKinnon's Rangers Trilogy, #1) by Pamela Clare and while I do agree it was well-written and the French & Indian war content, though fairly slight, seemed well researched I can't say it will be one of..."

Sandra, sorry this one didn't work for you. PC definitely writes 'steamier' than other authors but I actually appreciate this, especially in HR. The physical aspect of a relationship is particularly significant in a historical setting so, assuming it is not simply gratuitous and does serve to further illustrate and develop the emotional relationship between the leads, I prefer this to a fade to black approach.

That said, insert tab A into slot B and purple prose in a RHF would be more likely put me off.

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 4 comments Emery wrote: "Hi Everyone!

I recently read a short blurb about The Winthrop Woman by Anja SetonThe Winthrop Woman by Anya Seton. This is..."

I wanted to suggest Midwife of teh Blue Ridge, by Christina Blevins, if you have not read it. It's set at the begining of the settling of America and is in no way a romance, but has a strong romantic story line.

message 25: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Thanks for the nomination Lauren. I'll add it to the shelf.

message 26: by Evelina C (new)

Evelina C (evelinaguekguezian) Has anyone readShadowbrook: A Novel of Love, War, and the Birth of Americaby Beverly Swerling? It's one of my favorite historicals and fits the subject.

message 27: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Thank you so very much Evelina and welcome to the group!

This one apparently escaped our radar. I've read some of the reviews of it, most were very positive. Some felt the novel too broad in scope but I am definitely adding it to our shelf.

Quinn, in particular would probably like to check this one out, if she hasn't yet read it. Are you reading this post Quinn???

message 28: by Evelina C (new)

Evelina C (evelinaguekguezian) A recent favorite of mine is a reprint of Celia Garth by Gwen Bristow. The story is set in colonial South Carolina and features a very likeable young orphan(Celia) whose talent, intellect and perseverance lead her to a life of comfort and independence. All she has accomplished is put at risk when she is asked to spy for the Americans during the Revolutionary War.

message 29: by Quinn (new)

Quinn | 15 comments Yes, here I am! I will definitely check Shadowbrook out. Thanks for the rec!

message 30: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Evelina C wrote: "A recent favorite of mine is a reprint of Celia Garth by Gwen Bristow. The story is set in colonial South Carolina and features a very likeable young orphan(Celia) whose talent, inte..."

I read that back in 1960. It was GREAT!

message 31: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Oct 15, 2010 04:09PM) (new)

Evelina C wrote: "A recent favorite of mine is a reprint of Celia Garth by Gwen Bristow. The story is set in colonial South Carolina and features a very likeable young orphan(Celia) whose talent, inte..."

Hi Evelina - Great minds think alike! I added this one to our shelf about a week ago!

message 32: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Received the four Susan Holloway Scott titles I ordered from Amazon today. I think I'll start with Duchess. I've always wanted to learn more of the love story between Sarah Jennings and John Churchill- later the Duke and Duchess of Marlborough.
Has anyone else read this one?Duchess

message 33: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 14 comments Evelina C wrote: "Has anyone readShadowbrook: A Novel of Love, War, and the Birth of Americaby Beverly Swerling? It's one of my favorite historicals and fits the subject."

I am replying to this very late, but never mind. I have read all four of Beverly Swerling's books, which are all connected. Of those Shadowbrook was probably my least favourite, but if you are at interested in the early days of New York then this series is really good!

message 34: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 14 comments Emery wrote: "Received the four Susan Holloway Scott titles I ordered from Amazon today. I think I'll start with Duchess. I've always wanted to learn more of the love story between Sarah Jennings and John Church..."

Duchess is the one Susan Holloway Scott novel that I haven't read yet.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Marg wrote: "Evelina C wrote: "Has anyone readShadowbrook: A Novel of Love, War, and the Birth of Americaby Beverly Swerling? It's one of my favorite historicals and fits the subject."

I am ..."

Marg wrote: "Evelina C wrote: "Has anyone readShadowbrook: A Novel of Love, War, and the Birth of Americaby Beverly Swerling? It's one of my favorite historicals and fits the subject."

I am ..."

Emery wrote: "Hi Everyone!

I recently read a short blurb about The Winthrop Woman by Anja SetonThe Winthrop Woman by Anya Seton. This is..."

sounds good..im looking forward in reading that book..

message 36: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Josel wrote: "Marg wrote: "Evelina C wrote: "Has anyone readShadowbrook: A Novel of Love, War, and the Birth of Americaby Beverly Swerling? It's one of my favorite historicals and fits the subject..."

Hi Josel-
Coincidentally, I have just started reading The Wintrop Woman. A friend recently gave me a copy of it.

message 37: by Shea (new)

Shea | 42 comments I really enjoyed "1000 White Women: The Journals Of May Dodd." Although it is not a biography of a real person it reads like an autobiography and you almost forget it is a work of fiction. There is a little bit of romance in it as well.

message 38: by DeAnna (new)

DeAnna I love these suggestions.

I thought I might mention, too, that over at the Dear Author blog a few days ago, they asked people to predict what kinds of books we'll be seeing in the coming months. Most people didn't hazard a prediction, but they weren't shy about saying what they wanted to see more of. I was shocked at how many wanted more American history.

I have to say, as someone who writes about America's past, that was very heartening. I do hope editors and publishers take note ;)

message 39: by Misfit (new)

Misfit I'd love to see more on American history. There are tons of old 70's and 80's books out there, but until we all rediscover them, who knows how many of them are mainly romance and which are good solid historicals. I never go by what the cover tells me.

message 40: by DeAnna (last edited Jul 01, 2011 05:11PM) (new)

DeAnna That's so true... One I've always wished they would re-release with a better cover was Marie Laveau by Francine Prose. Marie Laveau (Berkley medallion book) by Francine Prose

message 41: by Misfit (new)

Misfit DeAnna wrote: "That's so true... One I've always wished they would re-release with a better cover was Marie Laveau by Francine Prose. Marie Laveau (Berkley medallion book) by Francine Prose"

Thanks. I just love these old books as you never know what you are going to get. Like a surprise package everytime, although there is the risk of a dud or two, but I'm willing to take the risk.

message 42: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Emery wrote: "Josel wrote: "Marg wrote: "Evelina C wrote: "Has anyone readShadowbrook: A Novel of Love, War, and the Birth of Americaby Beverly Swerling? It's one of my favorite historicals and fi..."

I have it here at home and haven't started it yet!

message 43: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Has anyone read In Lucia's Eyes by Arthur Japin
This ia loosley based on the Memoirs of Giacomo Casanova and details his first love affair. It looks fascinating but I have not read it. Can anyone recommend it for our group?

message 44: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (mbk1857) I just finished reading Legacy by Susan Kay. For those of you who love history, especially Elizabethan history, as I do, this is one long book to settle down to and thoughly immerse yourself into. Warning: it's very long but an excellent read; the end leaves you with a very constricted throat. I've posted my review for those who care to check it out.

message 45: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Sep 06, 2011 05:10PM) (new)

Marilyn wrote: "I just finished reading Legacy by Susan Kay. For those of you who love history, especially Elizabethan history, as I do, this is one long book to settle down to and thoughly immerse yourself into. ..."

Thanks so much Marilyn! I'll definitely check out your review. I'll also add this one to our group shelf as your nomination.

message 46: by Jean (new)

Jean Fullerton | 3 comments Lauren wrote: "Emery wrote: "Hi Everyone!

I recently read a short blurb about The Winthrop Woman by Anja SetonHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling. This is..."

I love this book almost as much as her more famous on Katherine. I'd recommend it wholeheartedly

message 47: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Jean wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Emery wrote: "Hi Everyone!

I recently read a short blurb about The Winthrop Woman by Anja Seton[bookcover:The Wint..."

Thanks Jean- Have you looked at our group book shelve. There are a number of great books with American settings.I have them catagorized by : Colonial America, American Frontier and Civil War.
http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...
You might also be interested to know that our book chat next Friday night will feature American Set romances. Hope you will drop by.
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...

message 48: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

This one caught my eye today and was a Kindle bargain at $2.99 Isabeau A Novel of Queen Isabella and Sir Roger Mortimer by N. Gemini Sasson

message 49: by Gaile, co-librarian (last edited Oct 10, 2011 09:03AM) (new)

DeAnna wrote: "That's so true... One I've always wished they would re-release with a better cover was Marie Laveau by Francine Prose. Marie Laveau (Berkley medallion book) by Francine Prose"

I remember so many I read back when I was a teen but the titles have completely slipped my mind.

message 50: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Marie | 9 comments Emery wrote: "Hi Everyone!

Pre-Revolutionary Southern - The Seahawk's Sanctuary