Babblers Who Read discussion

1 view
Books About Words

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scrabbler (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Scrabbler | 10 comments Yes, of course, there are dictionaries, thesauruses (thesauri?), crossword puzzles, and other word games but books about language, words, grammar,etc are fascinating to me.

1. WordFreak by Stefan Fatsis---about
competitive Scrabble players
2. The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson
3. The Elements of Style by Strunk &
White
4. Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome
Words by Bill Bryson
etc!

Related submissions are sought.

message 2: by FranMag (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

FranMag | 16 comments Scrabbler, this was in Jill's bookshelf and I've added it to my "to-read" list, Simon Winchester - The Meaning of Everything.

message 3: by Yoink (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Yoink | 7 comments One I have that I have been meaning to read for some time is "Eats, shoots & leaves" by Lynne Truss. It is supposed to be very good, and ideal for people (like me!) that get wound up by improper use of punctuation (especially the inverted comma).

message 4: by Annie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Annie | 4 comments I think that The Meaning of Liff by Douglas Adams and John Lloyd belongs here yes?? I mean, where else could Duntish ( mentally incapacitated by a severe hangover) be anything but what it really is ( a town) and find a home than with a bunch of Babblers who delight in pulling obscure words out of a 5x5 grid??
I will apologise if anyone feels the opposite. ;)

message 5: by Scrabbler (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Scrabbler | 10 comments Yes, Yoink, thank you for reminding me about "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" by Lynn Truss. It is a hilarious and informative book about punctuation, of all things.