The Sword and Laser discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
David Gerrold creepy spoiler

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments So as kid i really enjoyed The War Against the Chtorr 1: A Matter For Men and the rest of the series, still waiting for #5 but no holding my breath. Anyway, anyone else read these and get horribly creeped out by the kid stuff in the end of book 3 the main charcter gets down to a little man/boy action that made it really hard to reccomend the series to others. So did anyone else read these and get creeped out? Really sucks because otherwise he's arelly cool writer, great insight into how a biological rather than technological invasion of earth might happen.

message 2: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments Its funny i wrote this a couple weeks ago cause Gerrold has always interested me as an author, then he was mentioned on latest podcast. I really enjoy the War against the Chtorr, i hope he gets back to it. I wonder if they will bring up my topic?

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments David Gerrold is truly creepy. He wrote the 'Trouble with Tribbles' episode of the original Star Trek. :)

message 4: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments Love the tribbles, Liked thea animated episodes, love the chtorr, but good god did you read what im talking about in book 3?

message 5: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6362 comments Nope.

message 6: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments ok here story. the main character becomes foster father to several orphans at one point. one of the boys has apparently worked as child prostitute or something and tries to sleep with him, he refuses, asks a shrink about it who tells him to just let the kid show him love so he sleeps with a ten or 11 year old kid. I try to be open minded but thats is just freaking disgusting in a catholic type of way and it really bothers me that an author would choose to create such and encounter and wonder why? Some things you cant really be open minded about and pedophilia is one of them...
So ask him, please, WTF?

message 7: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments bump

message 8: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments bump for stan

message 9: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments Ahhh kind of like Heinlein's Main character in "Time Enough for Love" going back in time to sleep with his dead mother ?

It seems that authors who were influenced by the 60's had some really weird ideas about sexual freedom and expression.

Sex is *never* free. There is always emotional baggage. It's something a lot of authors tend to ignore.

message 10: by Halbot42 (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments yeah but an adult choosing to be freaky with an adult(even his hot readhead mom) is creepy but ok, kids are never ok. It really spoiled a great series for me and i dont see a real reason for it, if u have to have the kid have that background i understand but to have Jim choose to sleep with a child just destroyed the character and series for me, i dont know how to ask gerrold about that but i want an explanation or at least to understand where he was coming from in making that choice

message 11: by aldenoneil (last edited Sep 07, 2010 10:08PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments There's an instance, maybe even several, of pedophilia in Aztec, which I'm currently reading, and that's not even the most despicable act the protagonist takes part in. I forgive the author pretty much anything, because I'm happy to be reading his novel, but I can't forgive the character.

I'd be interested to hear Gerrold's justification for his use of pedophilia out of curiosity, but usually I'm happy to let the novel speak for itself.

message 12: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Horan | 1 comments David Gerrold holds an MD degree in child psychiatry in his real name, Jerrold David Freeman. He keeps that degree a secret. For some reason. So, the "doctor" in the book you're talking about, the one who justifies the man continuing to have sex with the boy, is spouting GERROLD'S "medical" opinion. The book is even "autobiographical." Gerrold adopted a sexually abused little boy, himself. Here's another interesting factoid about "David Gerrold:" He was the lover (a "very special relationship") of Manson Family victim, 19-year-old Steven Parent. Parent was a juvenile delinquent who was given a job at an upscale Hollyweird stereo store where Gerrold shopped. Parent spent a lot of hours "installing stereo equipment" in Gerrold's home in the weeks prior to the murder. When Parent was visiting 10050 Cielo Drive's landlord and Hollyweird talent agent Rudy Altobelli's kept boy William Garretson in the "guest house," he received a call there from Gerrold, who asked Parent to drive down the hill to that little park and fountain where the famous "Beverly Hills" sign is located on Santa Monica and Doheny, to "pick up a friend." That park was a notorious pickup spot for gay prostitutes. Parent was shot dead 30 minutes after he received that phone call from Gerrold.

message 13: by David (last edited Jul 22, 2021 09:35PM) (new)

David Gerrold | 1 comments A friend just pointed me to this page. I wish I'd seen it sooner.

Let me correct the misinformation that was posted.

I do not have an MD degree. I am not a doctor. I do not have a degree in child psychiatry. I am not advocating sex with minors in any way, shape, manner, or form.

The scene in which it is implied that Jim has sex with a 10-year old boy is not advocacy. It was never meant to be advocacy. But it was drawn from some of my research into such behaviors. It was also drawn from some of the incidents I read about that occurred during WWII. The point that I intended to make was that in his efforts to save the human race, Jim ends up committing just about every possible moral offense, but that they were the most appropriate action of the moment. That particular piece may have been a misfire. But I repeat, it wasn't advocacy.

So nothing in that part of the book is autobiographical.

And yes, in 1992 I did adopt a little boy who had been abused in the foster care system. I did two years of research into the issues and gained a much deeper understanding. The state of California investigated me thoroughly before trusting me with custody of the little boy who became my son. I raised him as responsibly as I could, with the help of friends and family members.

So the implications of the poster who identifies himself as "Thomas" are offensive in the extreme. (BTW, my son is now 37, happily married, and has a year old son. You can see their pictures on my Facebook page) You can also learn more about us by reading my book of the adoption, "The Martian Child." (Later made into a movie starring John Cusack.)

Yes, did know Steven Earl Parent. (I never shopped at Jonas Miller Stereo on Wilshire Blvd. I knew him from elsewhere.) No, Steve was not a juvenile delinquent. He was planning to attend college in the fall of 69. He was a remarkably generous person, loved by his parents and his siblings. Yes, we were close. He was one of the best friends I ever had, he made a big difference in my life.

No, Steven Parent did not spend hours installing stereo equipment in my home. I never got any stereo equipment from him.

No, I did not call Steven Parent the night of the murders. He called me. Yes, I asked him to come to my apartment so we could hang out together. No, I did not ask him to meet me at a notorious pickup spot. (I did not even know that was a notorious pickup spot. How does Thomas know?)

Thomas' information is woefully wrong and I can only assume his intention was malicious.

In 1970, I testified in the Manson trial and my testimony is a matter of public record. Anyone wanting to know what actually happened that night can look up my testimony.

— David Gerrold

message 14: by John (new)

John | 1 comments David- Thank you for correcting the record. People write such awful things, when they have zero idea what they're talking about. Also, thank you for the kind words about Steven Parent. So little is generally known about him. Sounds like a wonderful kid.

Best-
John Dalton

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.