Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > 50 Lounge Question #5

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danine (last edited Jun 27, 2008 07:58PM) (new)

Danine (dulcemea) If you could live in a book/story what book would it be? Why?

Happy Friday :)

message 2: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celestelueck) | 54 comments Well, I would say the book I'm currently reading, Gods Behaving Badly, but I don't know how it ends; it sure is a hoot at the moment. So I'll have to Harry Potter. I know it's the pat answer, but Harry's world is so very cool. Chocolate Frogs, Diagon Alley, Albus Dumbledore, what more could you ask.

My runners-up were: Thursday Next's world and the world of Inkheart. If you haven't read Inkheart and Inkspell they are awesome.

Thanks Danine these are so much fun.

message 3: by Melynna (new)

Melynna Harry Potter is the first thing that comes to mind for me, too. It would really be cool. I think one of the reasons why it wins out for me is that it's so inevitably, in the end, okay. It's not as scary or threatening as a lot of other cool fantasy worlds. For instance, the world of Mistborn is pretty awesome, but a little too dangerous to actually want to live there. Well, maybe I'm changing my mind. As long as I get to be a Mistborn.

message 4: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments I think I would like to live in Thursday Next's world (after I did my semester at Hogwort's). I'm sure I could be her partner and not cause her nearly as much trouble as all the other Thursdays.

message 5: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments Wait a minute! Avalon, I can't remember who wrote it but it would be fun to be of 'the old religion' and celebrate in that tradition.

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 74 comments The first book that popped into my head was Anne of Green Gables. If I could live out the long-tensioned romance with Gilbert Blythe, have a kindred friend like Diana Barry, and some awesome sibling parents like Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert to adopt me, I would be in heaven. I always thought that Anne and I had a lot in common-- our love of writing and the theater and the idea that "being smart is better than being pretty."

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer A.M. (jenniferam) | 106 comments I would have to agree with the Anne of Green Gables choice. Everything just seems so much simpler. The characters are all such good people with good hearts. Of course - I love eating out at restaurants and going to the movies - so maybe I need to rethink my choice. Hmmmmm............
Maybe Mathilda's world or Charlie's from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? both by Roald Dahl.

message 8: by Karol (new)

Karol If I could live in a book, it would be anything from the Laura Ingalls Wilder series! I would so enjoy meeting Mr. Edwards and the Wilder family. Although the author was close to her Pa, I find her Ma a most fascinating woman of quiet strength.

Another choice would be Bryson City Tales, by Dr. Walt Larimore. Honest, hard-working people in a small town - somewhat distrustful of outsiders but once you've proven yourself you have life-long friends. And that small community has some awesome doctors so you'd have great medical care, too.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Either Roland's world (Dark Tower by SKing) or Neverwhere by Gaiman.

But the world I most would like to explore is House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

message 10: by Stephy (last edited Jun 30, 2008 05:24PM) (new)

Stephy Jemmisparks (stephyjemmisparks) | 3 comments I would love to live in Narnia with Aslan and the kids. It would be nice to be queen for a while.
Ho
ho.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie | 7 comments Maybe Kinsey Milhone or Thursday Next's world - to assist with their sleuthing and spend time in the fictional version of Santa Barbara or T. Next's futuristic historical world(s)...

message 12: by Tana (new)

Tana Harrison Probably Cheesy but I would love to find a home in Stephanie Plum's life by Janet Evanovich. They are always coming across the funniest people,going to the weirdest places and it sounds like the resturants are great. I want a Tasty treat. I don't know what it is but it sounds great.

message 13: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 30 comments I'd love to live in Rivendell and visit the Shire often. Of course in Middle Earth, where I would love to meet Aragorn too.

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris | 85 comments Either Thomas More's UTOPIA or the OneState of Zamyatin.

In either place I'd hope to be roommates with Howard Roark.

message 15: by Tera Marie (new)

Tera Marie | 231 comments The girl in me would still love to spend time in River Heights with Nancy and friends. Do some sleuthing, solve a mystery and come home to Hannah's meals each night.

message 16: by Tracy (last edited Sep 15, 2008 07:38PM) (new)

Tracy | 36 comments I would love to inhabit either Phillip Pullman's alternative England in the His Dark Materials trilogy, or Joan Aiken's alternative historical England in The Wolves of Willoughby Chase series. Who wouldn't want to follow Lyra Bellacqua/Silvertongue or Dido Twite into their respective Englands of menace and intrigue? Especially when their loyal male sidekicks-- Will and Simon-- unselfishly let the gals run the show?

message 17: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) Harry Potter here. I think that world is so cool. Even though there is evil looming about, it is worth facing a death eater.

Also any Jane Austen book would be fantastic to live in. As long as I had an income.

message 18: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Mitford. I like the pace of life, the geographic setting, the people are interesting and good hearted. Definitely Mitford.

message 19: by Maria (new)

Maria (minks05) | 84 comments i like the crazy future-past that jasper fforde created for the Thursday Next series.

however, i'd also love to live in some of the fictional NYCs and LAs that some books have.

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (inklings) | 62 comments Anne of Green Gables world, Narnia, Middle Earth. Hmm, St. Marys Mead. Victorian London. (Guess who!)

message 21: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (srtoomey) | 11 comments The Neverending Story or Tales from Avonlea.

The Neverwnding Story for it's fantasy and to meet all the characters. Especially the flying dragon/dog.

Tales from Avonlea or Anne of Green Gables. I always wanted to live in a place like that with no electricity and live the simple life.