European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Nominations > July 15-August 15 - Updated!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Hey everyone, I just wanted people to realize that the first of the month is coming up which means new nominations to vote on! And don't worry if you're still reading The Sunne in Splendour (like I am) - you can still get in on the discussion, just jump in!

Just to clarify, the set up is as follows:

Someone nominates three books on or around the 1st (once the books are posted, feel free to start voting);

Voting will take place until 9pm Eastern Time on the 4th; and

Discussion can being on the 15th.

Right now, the list I have for nominating books is:

Catherine
Sara (me)
Sera
Despina
Laura

If you would like to be added to that list (or removed from it), just make a comment here and I'll put your name in front of Despina's. Even if you don't nominate books, you can certainly still vote for which one you want to read.

Catherine, that means you're up! (And in case we have more than one Catherine, I'm directing this to the person who volunteered - I'm not just picking someone randomly! Likewise with the Laura on the list - there could be more than one, but the one on the list is the one who volunteered.) Catherine, feel free to post your three nominated books on (or before if it's more convenient) July 1st. If you don't want to nominate any, just let me know and I'll move down the list.

message 2: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Just so people know, if Catherine doesn't post nominations by around 4pm Eastern time tomorrow, I'll go ahead and switch positions with her (that way she can nominate next month). I did send her a message when I posted this new thread, and I haven't heard from her yet (she may be on vacation for all I know - it's tough during the summer when people are so busy doing other things).

message 3: by Sara W (last edited Jul 01, 2008 01:05PM) (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments The nominations for the July 15 - August 15 read are:

1) The Queen's Secret by Jean Plaidy - about Katherine of Valois (mother to Henry VI of England (Holy Harry, married to Marguerite d'Anjou, for those of you who have read the Richard III books with us))

2) The Perfect Royal Mistress by Diane Haeger - about Charles II of England and his mistress Nell Gwynne

3) The Concubine by Norah Lofts - about Anne Boleyn

I'm sorry I skipped over you this month Catherine, but if you are still interested in nominating books, next month is for you!

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 181 comments I vote The Concubine, since I just put it on hold from the library. :)

message 5: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments That's awesome Nan! Did you find out through genealogy research that you were related to Anne's mother or did your family just always know that? I love genealogy stuff, and I always wonder who I might be related to if I dig far enough back (probably no one exciting, but it's fun to imagine!).

All the books are available at amazon as well. We cut off voting on the 4th and don't start discussions until the 15th, so hopefully everyone should be able to get whichever book wins by that date. How does the Library for the Blind work? Does it have a lot of the books that have been nominated in this group?

message 6: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments If it's alright with the (two) people who have voted, I would like to extend voting until noon on Sunday to see if anyone else chimes in. We can begin the discussion a day or two late if people need the extra time to get the books.

message 7: by Cat (new)

Cat | 7 comments I have to say that the Concubine sounds the most interesting...

message 8: by David (new)

David   (fitzsquier) | 3 comments Hi,

This is David... yes, I'm a member, but haven't been active in a while since life as a doc in Detroit can be a real humdinger...

Wanted to get back to you all about Jane Grey. I have read many of the biographical and scholarly works on Queen Jane at various times in my life, and was touched by her story. This started me thinking, has anyone ever done anything official to remember her in the Church of England or Parliament? So I wrote to the House of Lords, asking if there had been an official pardon. There does not appear to be a record of a motion for one. So I turned to the Church (I am an Anglican). I and the local church put together a Choral Evensong in honor of Queen Jane. I carried her coat of arms (for Grey and Dudley) in procession, and had the choir sing in Renaissance polyphony works by Palestrina and Byrd. For the sermon, I gave a talk on her life and how unique she was, and an example to us all. So, in my own way, I did something for her. I hate to think of her in a mass grave in St. Peter's ad Vincula. I would like to see her buried in some state near or at Bradgate.

Thanks for listening. Will promise to be more involved!

David Benoit-Mohan, Chev. O.L., MD

message 9: by Sera (new)

Sera David, how totally cool and impressive! I'm sure that Lady Jane was smiling down on you on that day :)

I haven't been as involved in the group as I would like either. I've been so busy that I haven't time to read much so it will be awhile before I can catch up here. I'm currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo for another book group so that will take me some time to get through. I also promised myself not to buy anymore books so be able to keep up with all of my book clubs will be challenging.

Thanks for sharing!

message 10: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments David, that's awesome! Thanks for letting us know!

Well, by a slim margin (2 to 1) it appears that our July 15-August 15 read will be The Concubine by Norah Lofts. I've read other books by Norah Lofts and they have been good, so hopefully this one will be as well.

We will start the discussion one day late (July 16) since we ended the voting a little later than usual.

message 11: by Michele Nell (new)

Michele Nell | 11 comments Speaking of genealogy...I am related to Arthur Plantagenet. When I am not reading I am doing genealogy and sometimes I am doing both =)

message 12: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments That's awesome Michele! I love genealogy. I haven't had much time to do it lately, but it's so much fun. Did you stumble across your relationship to Arthur Plantagenet yourself or did your family already know that?