The Little Prince The Little Prince discussion

Favorite Quote?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 129) (129 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Jessica Anne What's your favorite quote in this little book of priceless quotes???

"And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night... You, only you, will have stars that can laugh at night..."

Emily "Here is my secret. It is very simple: It is only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Tate Can I have the entire book, please?

or, as I can't and I also can't recall all of the lovely little things that are put in among the pages of this book, I shall simply say "draw me a sheep!"

Wahoo! ^.^

Laura I vote for Emily's :-)

Tate I shall vote for Emily's as well, although I am rather partial to mine, ha! ^.^ Yay!

Jeremy It's hard to pick just one, but here's mine:

"You become responsible forever for what you've tamed."

Susan "Only the children are flattening their noses against the windowpanes."

or

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere there hides a well."

or

"Let the tigers come with their claws."

or

"If you succeed in judging yourself rightly, then you are indeed a man of true wisdom."

Meredith "Grown-ups like numbers. When you tell them about a new friend, they never ask questions about what really matters. They never ask: 'What does his voice sound like?'"

message 9: by Elena (new)

Elena there really are too many for this book, and at the end i think mine is more of a favorite passage, but here it is...

"One day," you said to me, "I saw the sunset forty-four times!"
And a little later you added:
"You know--one loves the sunset, when one is so sad . . ."
"Were you so sad, then?" I asked, "on the day of the forty-four sunsets?"
But the little prince made no reply.

oh and of course...

"I have been silly," she said to him, at last. "I ask your forgiveness. Try to be happy . . ."

He was surprised that there were no reproaches. He stood there, quite bewildered, holding the glass bell in mid-air. He failed to understand this calm sweetness.

"Of course I love you," the flower said to him. "It was my fault you never knew. It doesn't matter. But you--you were just as silly as I was. Try to be happy ... Put that thing down I don't want it."

message 10: by Radhika (new)

Radhika Mine is "Here is my secret. It is very simple: It is only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Heidi Thanks to everyone for such great quotes and for reminding me why I loved that book... time for a re-read!

Cynthia Bugsey "one only unsertands what one tames"... and "it is the time that you spend with your rose which makes her special... "

Alice (; "One watches a sunset when one is sad..."

Faith "When a mystery is too overpowering, one dare not disobey"

Diana I vote for Emily's and Jeremy's.

Erika Nerdypants Jeremy..profound

message 17: by Lyla (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyla Bellatas It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Damira Jeremy and Elena! makes me cry when I read those quotes... so deep and meaningful

Abigail I think this is my favourite (although there are so many)

The wheat, which is golden, will remind me
of you. And I'll love the sound of the wind in the wheat..."

Jessaka you're responsible forever for what you have tamed.

ah, this makes me want to own the book and read it again. i forgot so much of it except that that quote, and you are reminding me of how many good ones there were.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

'What are you doing there?'
'Drinking.'
'Why are you drinking?'
'To forget.'
'To forget what?'
'To forget that I'm ashamed.'
'What are you ashamed of?'
'Of drinking!'

Julia ✩ I really like the one above (Antonio's quote).
It's a good one :)

Angel / YA rules!/ Antonio wrote: "'What are you doing there?'
'Drinking.'
'Why are you drinking?'
'To forget.'
'To forget what?'
'Of drinking!'"

i like this... =)

Agneta Jakab I should tolerate the closeness of 2-3 caterpillars, if I want to get to know butterflies

Veronica "Só se vê bem com o coração, o essencial é invisível aos olhos."

Donia Mekary L'important est invisible pour les yeux. <3

Sendy Felicita I like this one :

“As yet you are nothing. No one
has tamed you, and you have tamed no one. You are like my fox when I first
knew him. He was only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But I have
made him my friend, and now he is unique in all the world.”

The little prince said this when he looked at the roses :)

Cinderela fox one!

Leaning-Good Tate wrote: "I shall vote for Emily's as well, although I am rather partial to mine, ha! ^.^ Yay!"

Lovely You !
:D
Suka

message 30: by Leaning-Good (last edited Aug 14, 2011 04:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leaning-Good Antonio wrote: "'What are you doing there?'
'Drinking.'
'Why are you drinking?'
'To forget.'
'To forget what?'
'Of drinking!'"

Ha Ha Ha ...I like it, also.
Suka

message 31: by Leaning-Good (last edited Aug 14, 2011 04:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leaning-Good Agneta wrote: "I should tolerate the closeness of 2-3 caterpillars, if I want to get to know butterflies"

Yes, that's true : I like this one, also!
Suka

Leaning-Good Sendy wrote: "I like this one :

knew him. He was only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. Bu..."

This one is so great : I like it Most !!!
Suka

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Veronica wrote: "'Só se vê bem com o coração, o essencial é invisível aos olhos.'"

Ah, é, é uma boa também.

message 34: by irish camela (last edited Aug 25, 2011 01:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

irish camela "What is essential to the heart is invisible to the eyes."

Leaning-Good Alejandra wrote: "Sendy wrote: "I like this one :

knew him. He was only a fox like a hundred thousand other..."

I agree with you, Alejandra.

Auntie Pam I vote for Donia!
in itlaian... l'importante è invisibile agli occhi!

Kathryn Mueller Oh there are so so many. But I love the chapter with the fox about taming things.

"There's a flower...I think she's tamed me."

And then the fox speaking: "But if you tame me, my life will be filled with sunshine. I'll know the sound of footsteps that will be different from all the rest. Other footsteps send me back underground. Yours will call me out of my burrow like music. And then, look! You see the wheat fields over there? I don't eat bread. For me wheat is of no use whatever. Wheat fields say nothing to me. Which is sad. But you have hair the color of gold. So it will be wonderful, once you've tamed me! The wheat, which is golden, will remind me of you. And I'll love the sound of the wind in the wheat..."

And of course, at the end, this section never fails to make me cry and laugh at the same time: "When you look up at the sky at night, since I'll be living on one of them, since I'll be laughing on one of them, for you, it'll be as if all the stars are laughing. You'll have stars that laugh!"

Leaning-Good Kathryn wrote: "Oh there are so so many. But I love the chapter with the fox about taming things.

"There's a flower...I think she's tamed me."

And then the fox speaking: "But if you tame me, my life will be fi..."

Thank for the quote, Kathryn.

message 39: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary "But if you tame me, then we shall need eachother. To me, you will be unique in al the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world..."

message 40: by Leaning-Good (last edited Aug 31, 2011 03:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leaning-Good Mary wrote: ""But if you tame me, then we shall need eachother. To me, you will be unique in al the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...""

Great !
We will tame other , and will be tamed back, ToGether !

Mustafa Kara I've read the Turkish translate of The Little Prince. I tried to translate my favourite quote to English:

"When you decide to tame someone, you must consider the tears"

message 42: by shuurei (new)

shuurei i love this book. here's my favorite line:

To forget a friend is sad. Not every one has had a friend. And if I forget him, I may become like the grown-ups who are no longer interested in anything but figures…

oh here's another one:

“It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”

tiffany I can read and re-read this book without tiring of it :)

My all-time favourite quote in this book is:
"It is such a secret place, the land of tears."

Am somewhat surprised that it has not been mentioned yet!

Maria Todo el libro esta lleno de mis frases favoritas!

Alfie i vote for Jeremy...his is also my favorite quote...

Singleton Mosby Thanks for sharing these great quotes. I think my favorites are:

"It is very simple: It is only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

This book is more then just a nice read, it can be a very good guide in life.

message 47: by Mays (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mays Jasim Fox

message 48: by Mays (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mays Jasim fox's part

Darrah Antonio's quote is pretty awesome!

message 50: by Mays (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mays Jasim Darrah wrote: "Antonio's quote is pretty awesome!"

ya i like that one too

« previous 1 3

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Little Prince (other topics)