What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Series about kid space patroller--one with menacing scorpions on the cover

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Seth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Seth | 7 comments Okay, probably not enough information to narrow this down from the dozens of series like this but...

He's a kid in some sort of (organized? official? can't remember) space patrol like thing. In the one I read he winds us having some alien scorpions set on him by the bad guy and that was pictured on the cover.

He had a couple of friends and some adult supervision who was always conveniently unavailable. A Race Bannon kind of guy, I think.

Kind of Danny Dunn-ish and about that predictable (even to me as a young kid).

I want to guess from the cover art and binding that it was pre-Danny Dunn. Maybe late 60s?

But to me, it's all about that scorpion cover.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (smackley) | 74 comments The House of the Scorpion? its the only book I can think of with a scorpion cover

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 6978 comments Mod
Seth--Danny has been around for EVAH as it were. Since at least the 50's, anyway.

And I checked out the HOuse of the Scorpion books--and looks like they were published in the 90's, which makes them too new for what he said.

I have another series similar to Danny Dunn, but can't find it right now. (Sorry, too many books, not enough shelf space, so they live in bags, boxes, under furniture ect.) I'll see if I can find them--if I even still have them, that is. Otherwise, good luck with finding them.

Oh--and did you check out Robert Heinlein's juvies? There have been a LOT of different covers for his books, so it might be one of them with a different cover.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellemulford) | 112 comments Maybe Isaac Asimov's series Norby the Mixed-Up Robot? (Scroll down a bit).

I don't see any scorpions on the covers, but they are about a space cadet named Jeff Wells.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

I've seen different covers for the Norbie books too--so just because the cover that pops up isn't the right one doesn't mean its not possibly the book you are looking for.

And I still haven't found that other series. Sorry. :o(

message 6: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Lobstergirl | 21567 comments Mod
Seth, are you still looking for this book?

message 7: by Seth (new)

Seth | 7 comments I would still love to find it, but I think the odds are slim.

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Seth, if you bump this up periodically (like every month or 2) so that more people see it, you might get it found. I've had books found after 3 years of my bumping it monthly. And I still have others that have been on here longer than that that I live in hopes of some day finding. :o)

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ok, just on the off chance that it might possibly be one of the Lensmen (or other series by him) I'm going to suggest that you check out E.E. "Doc" Smith.

message 10: by Serendi (new)

Serendi Maybe Asimov's Lucky Starr series? http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=...

Lots of different editions maybe one has scorpions. David Starr might be too old, though.

Just looked at Google Images for Asimov Lucky Starr, no scorpions. Still....

message 11: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (Handmaiden) | 383 comments Maybe something from the Tom Corbett, Space Cadet series? http://www.goodreads.com/series/53928... I'm not seeing a cover illustration that matches your description, but maybe it was an internal illustration. The Wikipedia page has links to cover illustrations, internal illustrations, comic book covers, and the ebooks on Project Gutenberg: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Corb...

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Well, on the plus side--Abigail finally ID'ed that other series I'd been trying to find. I've about decided that it is "stored" at my daughter's house. (By "stored" I mean my grandkids saw it, went, "OOHHH, space ships," and carried the set off to read at some future date. But they are my grandkids, and each of them has a tbr pile that is reaching rooftop level.)

message 13: by Seth (new)

Seth | 7 comments The Tom Corbett book Revolt on Venus is close. The cover illustrations are similar in style and the title and setting are familiar, but I may have read it around the same time (I was also reading Heinlein juvies and Asimov's books aimed at younger readers around the same time, for example). If I can track down a copy I'll see if it's the one, but for now I'm not sure.

The idea that I'm remembering an internal illustration hadn't occurred to me, but it is possible!

I'm sure it wasn't Smith, but it was a good thought. Actually, Smith is pretty much always a good thought :-)

Thanks, all!

message 14: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Seth, are you still looking for this or did you find it? Wow your post is old....pre-Obama.

message 15: by Seth (new)

Seth | 7 comments I still have not found the book. Somedays I wonder if I dreamed it.

message 16: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (last edited Sep 09, 2014 09:36PM) (new)

Were the scorpions the only thing on the cover? Did they fill the whole cover? Or was the kid on the cover too? Was it a hardcover with a dustjacket, or a mass market paperback, or a trade paperback?

Was the cover art realistic, cartoonish, or just like every typical sci-fi cover?

And this is what comes into my head when I think of a typical sci-fi cover (not suggesting this is your book):

message 17: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Oops sorry it's so big.

message 18: by Hannah (last edited Sep 09, 2014 10:29PM) (new)

Hannah Smith | 46 comments I know this is way too new (1993) and it's also from New Zealand but this is what came to my head reading your description. It is a series with 3 books and involves kids being taken from Earth and put in control of spaceships.

Is the cover similar to that of the second in the DeepWater trilogy, DeepWater Landing by Ken Catran? It's the middle book in this photo (you may have to zoom in a bit). This cover has the main characters on a spaceship fighting weird space mosquito/scorpion creatures.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deepwater-Bla...

It's listed on Goodreads but has different cover art

message 19: by Seth (new)

Seth | 7 comments Lobstergirl, it was more the "typical SF cover" of the time, especially for YA books.

Hannah, the Deepwater book looks familiar (I read a lot of pulp as a kid), but I don't think that's it.

I'm starting to think it may have been an interior illustration and probably Trappers of Venus in the Digby Allen Space Explorers series (http://www.tomswift.info/homepage/tra...). The description of the scorpions scene sounds right and I may just be remembering the interior B&W line drawing in full color.

I'll try to get a copy and see if I can verify. Thank you all for the advice and suggestions! Researching the books and series people mentioned led me to find Dig Allen. I never would have otherwise.

message 20: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Seth, are you still looking for this or did you find it?