Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Talking with your hands

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart You aren't the only one. I talk with my hands too. Comes in handy when we play catchphrase.

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I used to do this quite a bit but made a concerted effort to stop a few years ago after seeing video footage of myself giving a lecture. While speaking I gestured so much and so emphatically that I looked like a drowning man flailing in the water for dear life. I don't think it made a good impression.

message 3: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i don't really talk with my hands, but seeing me play badminton or ping pong is pure delight. i really should trademark my moves.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments This is a great question. I'm really not a big talker but I know some people who are. I try not to sit next to my friend Linda in meetings because she talks with her hands so much she smacks nearby people.

I walk when I talk a lot. I have a hard time standing still. I'm not good with podiums.

Heh. Badminton, you say? Do you bash the shuttlecock, Janine?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for playing along guys, but it is OK, we can let Barb know now that she is the only one :-).

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Step back before she replies, Jim, you might be in the danger zone...

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "Step back before she replies, Jim, you might be in the danger zone..."

That's where I like it.

message 8: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i have a blindspot for shuttlecocks flying straight at my face, or my direct right or left. sometimes it hits me in my forehead, or a make a weird move with my arm so it flies through and hits the ground. when the shuttlecock hits the ground i freeze in the pose i was just in, for a few seconds, then shrug, then pick it up from the ground. i also never run, but walk, and never more than three steps, before freezing in my awkward pose, arm stretched forward.

message 9: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments That sounds more like performance art than a sport, Janine.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh. I agree, Jonathan. Janine, post #9 is one of my favorite posts in a long time...

message 11: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Jonathan wrote: "That sounds more like performance art than a sport, Janine."

if i could get paid to do it, i would. it's all natural awkwardness.

message 12: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Set it to music and post a video to You Tube, Janine. You could start a craze for the groovy Dutch badminton dance.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my mom talks with her hands. she is a sign language interpreter. i don't think i do when i talk. i do tell better stories while standing up though. more body language than with hands i suppose

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments All you have to do to be cured of talking with your hands is to watch Gordon Ramsay for a while.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I didn't mean to say it was anything bad in the hands of those other than Gordon Ramsay.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I would crack trying to work for Gordon Ramsay. Either I'd go off on him in frustration, or he'd find my weak spot and drag me to tears.

message 17: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart But he's sooooooooooo attractive when he yells.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Anyone watching this season's Hell's Kitchen?

Never expected the blue haired guy and the single mom to hook up...

message 19: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I thought Hell's Kitchen was canceled years ago.

But I'm watching Master Chef and I get soooooooo much Gordon.

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have never seen gordon ramsey or this show

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Nope. My husband is in love with Gordon. I like Kitchen Nightmares alright, but am tired of Hell's Kitchen.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Now I just figured out why I read a lot. My husband watches a lot of crap tv.

message 23: by Brittomart (new)

message 24: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24279 comments Mod
I'm not a hand-talker at all. Whether it bothers me depends on the type of movements being made, frankly.

One of the most irritating kinds of hand-talking is when TV newscasters do it. You know some producer told them to do it in order to be more visually interesting, and that they've been trained to do it a very specific way. It's very annoying. The MOST annoying TV hand-talking is on the entertainment shows - Access Hollywood, Entertainment Tonight, The Insider...and can I just say, The Insider is the most horrible show in the history of TV?

message 25: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I talk with my hands all the time! That is just who I am and I don't deny or apologize.

message 26: by Knarik (new)

Knarik I Talk with my hands, especially when I am agitated and when I debate something!!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

It must have been some pretty impressive hand gestures.
Either that or she has been around you a very long time. :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Have you ever watched Rachel Ray on her cooking show? She's constantly in motion. It's quite annoying, but then again, I think she takes what most would consider normal and adds about 10 levels to it.

message 29: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11667 comments American politicians are taught to gesture with their hand in a fist, thumb on top. Apparently it conveys strength without being frightening. It looks stupid, because they all do it. Like trained monkeys.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments What's the hand gesture for "hog wild", Misha?

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i think it is the "koo-koo for cocoa puffs" cra-zazy shaky hands deal

message 32: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24279 comments Mod
Stacia wrote: "Have you ever watched Rachel Ray on her cooking show? She's constantly in motion. It's quite annoying, but then again, I think she takes what most would consider normal and adds about 10 levels to..."

I can't stand her. 10 levels, yes, that's a good way to put it.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

We are in the middle of an election campaign. Someone has told our Prime Minister to use her hands when she talks. (She is new to the job after tossing out our previous Prime Minister a couple of months ago.)
The hand movement’s thing just doesn’t work for her (or is it me) it looks so artificial.

message 34: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I talk with my hands, especially when I'm trying to describe something. I also tend to make sound effects... I do this a lot when I'm driving, it amuses the hell out of my husband and kids.

message 35: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7130 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Stacia wrote: "Have you ever watched Rachel Ray on her cooking show? She's constantly in motion. It's quite annoying, but then again, I think she takes what most would consider normal and adds abo..."
Rachel Ray is the one quickest way to give me hives.

message 36: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I think hand-talking is part of the communication requirements for Cajuns. When I talk with my mother on the phone, I can just "hear" what her hands are doing as she's telling me a story (get your minds out of the gutter!). I have tons of pictures of her telling stories and talking with her hands and her audience's face(s) during said storytelling...

As for me, I've tried to NOT use my hands when I talk and I just can't do it. My arms fly up, as if they have a mind of their own.