dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Craig (new)

Craig Dressler (craigdressler) | 4 comments 1) Stephen Bly
2) Gilbert Morris
3) Bodie Thoene
4) Sigmund Brouwer
5) Al Lacy

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 21 comments You might enjoy this group also: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 3: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 21 comments 1) Liz Curtis Higgs
2) B.J. Hoff
3) Bodie Thoene
4) Tamera Alexander
5) C.S. Lewis
6) Francine Rivers
7) Lawana Blackwell
8) Janette Oke
...to name a few...

message 4: by Kae (new)

Kae Cheatham (uppitywoman) Has anyone read Terry Burns? He's won a few awards for his titles.

message 5: by Ed, Chief Curmudgeon (new)

Ed (ejhahn) | 622 comments Mod
I have a question. What exactly is a Christian Western Author? Someone who writes Westerns that have a Christian theme or someone who writes Christian Literature and is from the west or authors of all genres who are from the Western hemisphere and are Christians.

Help!

message 6: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Ed, :0) I had a similar problem when I glanced at the thread title. I was so stumped I couldn't name anything.

message 7: by Ed, Chief Curmudgeon (new)

Ed (ejhahn) | 622 comments Mod
Chrissie wrote: "Ed, :0) I had a similar problem when I glanced at the thread title. I was so stumped I couldn't name anything."

I'm still waiting for a reply.

message 8: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Mmmmmm.....me too!

message 9: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 66 comments I suspect it's Westerns with a Christian theme. I read one some time ago byJane Kirkpatrickwho has written a great many of them.

message 10: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie If we follow Shomeret's definition, I can highly recommend Saints and Villains by the wonderful author Denise Giardina. It is about the theologian Bonnhoeffer, whom I highly admire, but it is not only about admirable Christians but also about admirable people of many faiths, Judaism in particular! I will link my review of this book into the group's thread.

message 11: by Shomeret (last edited Sep 03, 2010 05:23PM) (new)

Shomeret | 66 comments A Western is a type of genre fiction that takes place in the American West during the 19th century. The genre primarily deals with exploration, settlement, conflict with Indians, gold fever and the challenges of law enforcement in a chaotic environment. It used to be a genre aimed at men, but Christian Westerns mainly written by women and focusing on female characters have changed that.

message 12: by Karol (new)

Karol Kae wrote: "Has anyone read Terry Burns? He's won a few awards for his titles."

Kae, I have read the three books in his "Mysterious Ways" series. Got a kick out of them. Titles are Mysterious Ways, Brother's Keeper, and Shepherd's Son. I thought they were more for young adults . . . and there were some cliches that made me grit my teeth a couple of times. BUT, the stories were engaging and fun to read.

message 13: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Is Anne Rice considered as a Christian Western author? She did write books about Jesus.

Speaking of this genre, is Lew Wallace also included? :D

message 14: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 66 comments So far as I know, neither Ann Rice nor Lew Wallace have ever written anything in the Western genre which I defined above in message 11.

message 15: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) You're right, I missed that post, silly me ;p

Speaking of Western authors, why nonfiction's not included?

message 16: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 66 comments The Western is a fiction genre. I'm not responsible for that. I don't think non-fiction has genres. It has subjects.

message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda Sandlin | 1 comments Mary Connealy

message 18: by Jonita (new)

Jonita Mullins | 9 comments A favorite of mine is Lauraine Snelling. I hope that someday I might also be someone's favorite with my novels Journey to an Untamed Land and Look Unto the Fields. I'm currently working on the third novel in this trilogy that takes place in western Arkansas Territory (today Oklahoma).

message 19: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 1 comments I think readers shouldn't overlook my novel "The Big Drift." Not only is it a Christian novel, but it won the 2015 Spur Award for best western novel (Western Writers of America), the Peacemaker Award for best western novel (Western Fictioneers), the Fiction Book of the Year Award (Academy of Western Artists), and the Elmer Kelton Award (West Texas Historical Association). Published by TCU Press, "The Big Drift" is set against the backdrop of the actual big drift of 1884-85, when a Great Plains blizzard pushed thousands of open-range cattle south into Texas. The Big Drift

message 20: by Roy (last edited Nov 24, 2019 05:38PM) (new)

Roy Bishop | 1 comments Some of my favorite Western Authors that are family friendly and tell a authentic story are:
Louis L'Amour, Zane Grey, B.N. Rundell, Donald L. Robertson, Tell Cotten, and C. M. Curtis, to name just a few. Hope it helps western readers find some good reading without a lot of unnecessary bad language or other adult themes.