Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Magazines/journals ... I think

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 106 comments INFECTIOUS MONONUCLEOSIS
What is a complete physical?
MANAGEMENT OF THE CLIMACTERIC

Things like this don't count as books ... right? Seems like the answer would technically be "not books" but I wanted to make sure before I went on a deletion rampage. ;)

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44128 comments Mod
They're articles. But we treat articles that have been individually published electronically (as these have been, for the Kindle), as ebooks.

Anyway, deletion would be useless. If anything, you'd be marking them Not a Book -- but as I said, not in this case.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 106 comments Ah - I was thinking maybe they would get NABed, but I wasn't sure. Couldn't remember if it was only things with ISBNs that were automatically added from Amazon, or everything.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

ISBNs or ASINs.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments At edit book, down at the bottom, for a while, there is a drop down menu with 4 choices (that we select in addition to all other edits):

book
periodical
article
not a book

I always select the not a book choice when I mark something not a book.

I'm guessing Goodreads wants us to select periodical or article if applicable.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Good point. I'd mark both of those "article".

message 7: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Should a choice for 'short story' or 'novella' be added to the drop down list?
I've been finding quite a few that are Kindle or other e- editions lately.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I'd vote for no, actually. Ebooks can be any length. 'Tis one of the wondrous things about the format. ;)

(I'd call those articles solely because they are reprints of journal articles.)

message 9: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Ok, was just a thought... = )