The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Everything is Illuminated - No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
Don't give away anything major! We wanna find out for ourselves.

message 2: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments I listened to the audio version of this one a few years back and it was awesome. If anyone likes audiobooks I would definitely check this one out-the guy who does Alex is hysterical. The only thing I would say is that sometimes JSF throws in pictures etc that add to the story and you might miss some of that with the audio but I think that was less the case with Everything is Illuminated than with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (munchkinland_farm) Started this book a few years ago and couldn't get interested in it. Tried again in July and am really enjoying it. I find I can't read it fast because of the detail and the changing narratives.

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara I'm so excited this is the group read this month. Before I met him, my husband lived in Ukraine for a couple years, and when we met we watched the film version of this together. We're going to visit Ukraine this month for the first time since he moved back to the States, so I'm reading anything I can get my hands on to learn more about Ukrainian culture and history. Perfect timing TNBBC!

message 5: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments How did you like the film Tara? I have tried to watch it a few times but haven't made it all the way through-I don't know what my deal is with it since I'm not usually like that with movies.

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara Joanie, I really enjoyed it. Of course, it helps to have a running narrative of someone who can confirm that they DO in fact eat a lot of potatoes and the countryside really is that breath-taking. I've heard so much good about the book though, so maybe the film pales in comparison. I'll see how I feel after I've finished the book. But I would give the film one more shot, if only to see the beautiful scenery (those sunflower fields!).

message 7: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments Thanks Tara. I don't know that it's so much a book vs. movie thing as much as a timing thing for me. I don't know that I've ever started at the beginning and tried to go right through. I think every time I've tried to watch I've caught it after it's already started so that might be part of it since it's already kind of a disjointed story.

message 8: by Meera (new)

Meera I read this last month and I had mixed feelings about it. I really loved his Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and I had expected to feel the same way about this but I didn't. There were parts I liked such as Alex's entries.