SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Old, Closed Posts > September Sci-Fi Theme:Goodreads Author

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Brad (last edited Aug 06, 2010 06:04PM) (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1636 comments ***If you're looking for the Fantasy book by goodreads authors, please follow the link in message 11 below***

***If you are thinking of nominating your own book, please read message 40 below***

For the next two months we're going to be opening our Club to our very talented Goodreads Authors, giving our September themed Sci-Fi and our October themed Fantasy over to their books.

I`ll be running this month's vote and discussion a little differently than I usually do; since we have more time and the goodreads authors tend to get less representation during our usual theme and random generated months, I want to make sure there are more candidates to vote on. Rather than the usual seven nominees and one voting period, I'll be taking twenty nominees (unless we have trouble finding twenty nominees, though I doubt it) and we will have two votes. The first vote will determine our top five, then our second vote will find us our winner.

We'll find our candidates in the usual way. They will be confirmed by a first and second. Everyone has one nomination and one second. The first twenty qualifying nominations will make up our list of books (some nominations could be disqualified for a number of reasons: inappropriate for the theme, already read by the group (The Suicide Collectors, by David Oppegaard falls into this category), the author is already represented in our nominees, etc.).

Nominations should appear as follows (and this is my nomination): Darwin's Paradox, by Nina Munteanu

It is okay to suggest other books, but make sure that you are clear about which book you are officially nominating.

The list of qualified books will appear in this first post, and I will update it as the days go by.

The Official Nominees
Right Ascension, by David Derrico
Immortal Second Edition, by Valjeanne Jeffers
Cyteen, by C.J. Cherryh
The Android's Dream, by John Scalzi
Dust, by Elizabeth Bear
Synergy, by M.D. Benoit
Boneshaker, by Cherie Priest
Dawn of Destiny, by Lee Stephen
Lioness' Heart by Valerie J. Long
Ancestor by Scott Sigler
The Understanding The Jump Clones by Dennis Pennefather
Mainspring, by Jay Lake
TimeSplash, by Graham Storrs
Homecoming, by Sue Ann Bowling
The Enlightened Ones, by Keith David Henry
Dying Light, by D. Scott Meek
Omnitopia Dawn by Diane Duane.
Self Convictions, by R. J. Hamilton
Under the Amoral Bridge A Cyberpunk Novel, by Gary A. Ballard
Dr. Identity, by D. Harlan Wilson

message 2: by Geoffrey (last edited Aug 01, 2010 12:26PM) (new)

Geoffrey (Geoffreys) | 44 comments I nominate Right Ascension by David Derrico. It's pure space opera.

We read this a couple months ago in the Science Fiction and Fantasy eBook Club and it generated some good conversation - including quite a bit of input from the author himself. I think a larger group like this will definitely trigger many more interesting conversations.

message 3: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1636 comments Good start, Geoffrey. Thanks.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (romalisa) I nominate Ancestor: A Novel (Hardcover) by Scott Sigler. This is a new version, released this summer, and is as action-packed as it is loaded with cool, near-future science. In fact, several of the procedures/techniques that were science fiction when the first version was published are now science fact! Scott makes himself available to his fans/readers and would likely participate in any discussions of his work.

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Lisa wrote: "I nominate Ancestor: A Novel (Hardcover) by Scott Sigler. This is a new version, released this summer, and is as action-packed as it is loaded with cool, near-future science. In fact, several of ..."

I second

message 6: by Phoenixfalls (new)

Phoenixfalls | 195 comments I would like to nominate Dust, by Elizabeth Bear.

message 7: by Valjeanne (last edited Aug 01, 2010 12:46PM) (new)

Valjeanne Jeffers | 8 comments I'd like to nominate Immortal: Second Edition by Valjeanne Jeffers.

I finally figured out how to do this -:). Yah -:)!

message 8: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1636 comments Lisa wrote: "I nominate Ancestor: A Novel (Hardcover) by Scott Sigler. This is a new version, released this summer, and is as action-packed as it is loaded with cool, near-future science. In fact, several of ..."

Unfortunately no, Lisa. As Scott Sigler is not currently a goodreads author he doesn't qualify for this month, although if he were to join before the discussion was finished I would definitely add him tot he list since he as been nominated and seconded.

message 9: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1636 comments Thanks for the nomination, Valjeanne. I am wondering, though, do you consider your book Sci-Fi or Fantasy. I was just looking at the description and it seemed to fit the latter more than the former.

message 10: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1636 comments If anyone is looking to nominate a Fantasy book by a goodreads author, or if you are the author, our October book nominations are currently underway in this thread. I am sure this is going to be a little confusing for folks, so don't worry if you come to the wrong category. I'll make sure you end up in the correct place.

message 11: by Valjeanne (new)

Valjeanne Jeffers | 8 comments Hey Brad -:)
Definitely SF since Immortal I & II have themes of time travel and alternate reality. But I didn't know we were still doing the October nominations. I've got start checking my emails more often, lol -:)!

Brad wrote: "Thanks for the nomination, Valjeanne. I am wondering, though, do you consider your book Sci-Fi or Fantasy. I was just looking at the description and it seemed to fit the latter more than the former."

message 12: by Brad (last edited Aug 01, 2010 01:05PM) (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1636 comments Okay, your word for it is taken and accepted;) So we just need a second and your book is an official nominee. Thanks for the clarification.

message 13: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Long (ValerieJLong) | 10 comments For Science Fiction I may nominate
Lioness' Heart by Valerie J. Long (that's me)
Even if the Science Fiction genre may not be obvious in the first place, it certainly fits in the category.

message 14: by Lakisha Spletzer (new)

Lakisha Spletzer | 3 comments Valjeanne wrote: "I'd like to nominate Immortal: Second Edition by Valjeanne Jeffers.

I finally figured out how to do this -:). Yah -:)!"

I second this nomination

message 15: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Hamilton (rjhamilton) | 3 comments I'd like to participate if possible?
Rjhamilton.webs.com
Let me know. Thanks, Brad!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, if I may, I nominate my novel that just came out Dying Light by D. Scott Meek and Right Ascension by David Derrico. Hope I did that right.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (romalisa) Brad wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I nominate Ancestor: A Novel (Hardcover) by Scott Sigler. This is a new version, released this summer, and is as action-packed as it is loaded with cool, near-future science. In fact..."

Thanks for the info; I'll contact Scott about joining. He mentioned Goodreads.com in one of his recent podcasts of Ancestor and I am sure he'd love to get involved.

message 18: by Thadd (new)

Thadd (qoowo) | 32 comments Brad wrote: "***If you're looking for the Fantasy book by goodreads authors, please follow the link in message 11 below***

For the next two months we're going to be opening our Club to our very talented Goodre..."
Thadd Evans says: Aug 1, Devine Destinies epublished my high tech sci fi novel, "MpStation_4," a story about a detective in homicide. Can I nominate my ebook or is that breaking the rules? Cheers

message 19: by Keith (new)

Keith Henry | 2 comments Hello, all!

I'm new to this group, but I've been on goodreads for a while.

I'm very proud of my new sci-fi novel, and if it's not inappropriate I'd like to nominate it for the field. The book is The Enlightened Ones by Keith David Henry. If it is considered I hope the panel enjoys reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! Thanks, all!

message 20: by Lynn (last edited Aug 01, 2010 03:26PM) (new)

Lynn Hardy (LynnHardy) | 31 comments Can I nominate The Parafaith War by L.E. Modesitt Jr.? He has an author page here and a blog - I'm not sure if that makes him a goodreads author, but I'm having dinner with him on Friday and I'm sure I can convince him to join our discussion!

message 21: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 424 comments He's listed as a Goodreads Author, but I wasn't sure if you were limiting to "up and coming" versus "established," but I'm nominating anyway ...

The Android's Dream by John Scalzi

message 22: by GloFree (new)

GloFree | 3 comments Lynn wrote: "Can I nominate The Parafaith War by L.E. Modesitt Jr.? He has an author page here and a blog - I'm not sure if that makes him a goodreads author, but I'm having dinne..."

I'll second Parafaith War by LeModesitt: I'd love to be in a discussion about his work!

message 23: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1636 comments R.J. wrote: "I'd like to participate if possible?
Rjhamilton.webs.com
Let me know. Thanks, Brad!"

Thanks for the link, R.J. Self Convictions, by R.J. Hamilton looks like it fits in with the Sci-Fi world. That is an official nomination folks. Any seconds?

message 24: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1636 comments Valerie wrote: "For Science Fiction I may nominate
Lioness' Heart by Valerie J. Long (that's me)
Even if the Science Fiction genre may not be obvious in the first place, it cert..."

We'll take your word for it, Valerie. Just waiting for a second.

message 25: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1636 comments stormhawk wrote: "He's listed as a Goodreads Author, but I wasn't sure if you were limiting to "up and coming" versus "established," but I'm nominating anyway ..."

If he is listed he is good. Your nomination is duly noted, stormhawk.

message 26: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Hardy (LynnHardy) | 31 comments Brad wrote: "stormhawk wrote: "He's listed as a Goodreads Author, but I wasn't sure if you were limiting to "up and coming" versus "established," but I'm nominating anyway ..."

If he is listed he is good. Your..."

Oh... L.E. Modesitt is very established - more than 30 books - Let me know if he's disqualified.

message 27: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 8 comments I nominate WWW:Wake by Robert J. Sawyer

message 28: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 8 comments Oh, Robert J. Sawyer is the author who wrote the book that the TV Series FLASHFORWARD is based on. WWW:Wake is the first of a trilogy, and the second is out. He's also on facebook, and very accessible, very clever, very knowledgeable, and someone you should get to know even if you don't read his books.

Jacqueline Lichtenberg

message 29: by Joshua (last edited Aug 01, 2010 05:30PM) (new)

Joshua (JoshuaCaleb) | 10 comments Okay, I hate the "blowing your own trumpet" thing, but anyway...here goes: I'd like to nominate myself and my sci-fi/fantasy book Warped & Wired: The Wryter Chronicles: book 1
[image error]
I published it a few months ago and so far it has gotten good reviews(from a limited audience to be sure, but not just friends/family:) It is the first of a long series I am writing about a race of magical, pre-historic beings that have been forced to live undercover in a human society.

Synopsis:

Magic and Technology don't mix. At least until now. Portia Greyleesah, a member of an ancient and magical race of beings called Wryters, and Mitchellina Cruise, a normal human island girl living in the pacific, are each content with their respective lives. But when each discovers the dark secrets of their true parentage, they both reluctantly leave their very different lives in search of the truth. They are forced to join together, much to their dismay, in order to uncover the secrets and truths, eventually working together to bring down the dark villain that threatens the lives of the entire world. www.TheWryterChronicles.com

message 30: by Sue (new)

Sue Bowling (sueannbowling) | 36 comments Well as long as other people are nominating their own books, I'll put in HomecomingHomecoming by Sue Ann BowlingSue Ann Bowling. Don't know if enough people have read it yet to get a second, but if you like Anne McCaffrey, Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey you might like this.

message 31: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1636 comments Jacqueline wrote: "Oh, Robert J. Sawyer is the author who wrote the book that the TV Series FLASHFORWARD is based on. WWW:Wake is the first of a trilogy, and the second is out. He's also on facebook, and very access..."

So long as you can convince Sawyer to become a goodreads author, Jacqueline, we'll consider him for our book, but he has to be a goodreads author.

message 32: by Eric (new)

Eric | 18 comments Lynn wrote: "Can I nominate The Parafaith War by L.E. Modesitt Jr.? He has an author page here and a blog - I'm not sure if that makes him a goodreads author, but I'm having dinne..."

I was thinking of putting up Gravity Dreams but I wouldn't want to split the Modesitt vote. lol

message 33: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Hardy (LynnHardy) | 31 comments Eric wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Can I nominate The Parafaith War by L.E. Modesitt Jr.? He has an author page here and a blog - I'm not sure if that makes him a goodreads author, but I'm..."

I'm not familiar with his SF line - I'll second Gravity Dreams and drop mine, if that's doable.

~L

message 34: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 377 comments Sorry, but Modesitt isn't a Goodreads author--not part of the GR author program. How do you know? It needs to say Goodreads author after his name.

message 35: by Mike (new)

message 36: by M.D. (last edited Aug 02, 2010 03:48AM) (new)

M.D. (mdbenoit) | 116 comments I haven't been on Goodreads for a while, busy with writing and editing, but I'd like to nominate my own SF Thriller, Synergy by M. D. Benoit.

The second edition is coming out this month, with a brand new (much prettier) cover. It's available in all formats, both paper and e.

message 37: by Mark (new)

Mark Oetjens (MarkOetjens) | 6 comments I nominate The Staff of Rahgorra by Mark Oetjens. Yes, I am the author but I really think you'll like the novel.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 542 comments I second Cyteen.

message 39: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1636 comments It is indeed okay to nominate yourself, goodreads authors; however, if you nominate yourself I think it is only fair that you stick around for the discussion and play a role in what we do once your book is chosen. Fair enough?

message 40: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 262 comments I second: The Android's Dream by John Scalzi.

Only read one book by him, but if this is half as good as that one, it will be a corker.

message 41: by Mark (new)

Mark Oetjens (MarkOetjens) | 6 comments Brad wrote: "It is indeed okay to nominate yourself, goodreads authors; however, if you nominate yourself I think it is only fair that you stick around for the discussion and play a role in what we do once your..."

Works for me.

message 42: by Jon (last edited Aug 02, 2010 07:34AM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Brad wrote: "stormhawk wrote: "He's listed as a Goodreads Author, but I wasn't sure if you were limiting to "up and coming" versus "established," but I'm nominating anyway ..."

If he is listed he is good. Your..."

He's not a "GoodReads author" though ... which means he does not have an account here at GoodReads and does not participate in some fashion in the GoodReads site. You can tell a "GoodReads author" by that designation in parantheses following their name.

message 43: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1636 comments Richard wrote: "I second: The Android's Dream by John Scalzi. / Only read one book by him, but if this is half as good as that one, it will be a corker."

Duly noted, Richard.

message 44: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1636 comments Jon wrote: "Brad wrote: "stormhawk wrote: "He's listed as a Goodreads Author, but I wasn't sure if you were limiting to "up and coming" versus "established," but I'm nominating anyway ..."

If he is listed he ..."

Aha! I see the difference now. I was looking at my profile, since I am a goodreads author, but it doesn't have that designation on my profile page because it has the editing link instead. I went and double checked after your message, Jon, and discovered the difference. So that means that Scalzi is also out. Sorry folks who nominated and seconded him.

message 45: by Jon (last edited Aug 02, 2010 07:44AM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Brad wrote: "Jon wrote: "Brad wrote: "stormhawk wrote: "He's listed as a Goodreads Author, but I wasn't sure if you were limiting to "up and coming" versus "established," but I'm nominating anyway ..."

If he i..."

Actually, Scalzi is a GoodReads author (he's on my friends list as well). But, since he's so 'popular' you might want to exclude him from the list.

If you follow the book link, you will see the author listed under the title followed by the (GoodReads Author) designation.

Here are some example screenshots:

http://twitpic.com/2azc8t - Modesitt (not GR Author)

http://twitpic.com/2azc5p - Cherryh (GR Author)

http://twitpic.com/2azc24 - Scalzi (GR Author)

message 46: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1636 comments Okay, I think I've got it figured out now, Jon. Thanks.

I am going to reserve the right to remove the hugely popular authors if we get enough candidates (although if we have already done a book by one of the "popular authors" then I will veto their inclusion right from the start), but for the time being I want to include them because 1.) they are cool enough to have taken the time to become goodreads authors (which is pretty groovy) and 2.) I will only be taking those authors we've not yet read in our group, insuring that they are not authors we frequently promote around here.

message 47: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 8 comments I dropped a note to Robert J. Sawyer on facebook about this thread.

Can someone who understands goodreads please tell me if I'm "a goodreads author" -- I think I am, but I thought Robert was, too, because I found a page about him.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2525 comments IT looks like you are a goodreads author. This is a link to your page, as I see it:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

In the upper right hand corner it says "goodreads author profile". Also, under your picture, there are the options to 'add as a friend', 'follow reviews', etc.

Robert J. Sawyer is not. Here is a link to his profile, as I see it:

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

His only states "author profile" and there are no options to 'add him as a friend', etc. Also, there's a little box where his blog is that states "Robert J. Sawyer isn't a Goodreads Author (yet), but he does have a blog, so here are some recent posts imported from his feed."

I was very confused about this before, too, and I'm not really sure the difference - I think the goodreads author profile is one that they set up, whereas a standard author profile is generated for them? At least that's my guess.

I think any author can become a goodreads author, they just have to join the site as an author.

message 49: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1636 comments That's an excellent description of the difference, Colleen. goodreads authors are able to interact through the site itself because have their own personal account. Other authors simply hae an author page written and created for them by our volunteer librarians.

message 50: by Dana (new)

Dana (rhysiana) | 39 comments I second Dust.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.