Chirenjenzie discussion

Round table > Round table discussion...bring it up, we'll talk about it!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 232 (232 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Isaacs (eisaacs) | 339 comments Mod
Please tell us a little about yourself and be sure to include a weird fact! :-)

message 2: by Cliff (new)

Cliff Ball (cliffball) I'm Cliff Ball, I live in Texas, I have a BA in English, and I've had three novels published so far. A weird fact? I'm a big old nitpicker when it comes to spelling, grammar, punctuation, and I'm always tempted to take a red pen to a famous author's novel and pick it apart.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Well now, you might just be the man of the hour! I can't tell you how many discussion I've had this week regarding the rogue comma. They never go where they're supposed to. :-) Welcome!

message 4: by Cliff (new)

Cliff Ball (cliffball) Thanks. I know a lot of people who do not think writing correctly is all that important. I happen to think it is, because without the commas, and all that, how do I know what is really being said. I know my novels aren't mistake free, because even after I've published 3 of them, I keep finding little mistakes that irritate me, but, I bet nobody else will catch.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Do you do editing work?

I'll be honest, grammar is not my forte. It was never really stressed in school, and I'm a musician by trade. The Chicago Manuel of Style website is my best friend while I write, but even then the rules are too convoluted. I've heard English teachers say that mistakes just jump off the page when they see them. I personally think that would be a mixed blessing.

I'd love to start a discussion on grammar questions. Would you be interested in being our resident expert?

message 6: by Cliff (new)

Cliff Ball (cliffball) I don't know how much of an expert I am. I'm also going back to school for a 2nd BA to get an MA, so I probably wouldn't be on here very often; but, I'll answer grammar questions as often as I can.

I hate the Chicago Manual of Style, MLA, etc, after having spent the last 6 years pursuing my BA in English. I agree that the rules are convoluted. They seem to change every other year, and I got to the point when writing essays and research papers, that I cited stuff my way. I always got papers back saying something or other wasn't cited right, otherwise, my essays were correct. Some rules, I think, are there to make some too smart college professor feel better about themselves.

I'm trying to start-up my own copy-editing home based business, but I've not had much luck with it so far. I wanted to offer, for now, $1 per page editing for authors, businesses, and students using Word's editing features. Check out my website http://www.digitalwritingservices.com if you'd like more info.

message 7: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) Hello, I'm A. F. Stewart from Nova Scotia, Canada. I write fantasy books and stories, and as the Canada Sci-Fi Examiner at Examiner.com. There are probably many weird facts about me, but I'll go with the fact I love watching bad action movies (or any action movies for that matter).

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

I find some of the questions on there ridiculous, but the editor seems to have a really good sense of humor. My problem is that the questions I have really have no definitive answer. Uuggghhh!

As for your business, now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Hey, if you're on facebook, you should check out my friend Italia's forum called Writer's etc. Incredible people on there, writers of every genre and every level come together to work on the craft. Last week we had Anton Mueller, a story analyst from Dreamworks. This week I believe its a NY publisher, but I'll need to check. Honestly, copy-editing is an artform (one which I appreciate so much ;-). I have many writer friends who I'm sure would love to get in touch with you!

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Welcome A.F. Stewart! Glad you're here!

message 10: by Cliff (new)

Cliff Ball (cliffball) Where on Facebook is that group/page? For all the groups, websites, etc that I'm on, I know very few writers/authors to promote myself without being an annoyance. I tried marketing to businesses, but, they're all freaked out over what the government is going to do in the next few months and aren't very willing to do any kind of new business with a new business.

I tried promoting what I want to do on the Kindle Boards and they sort of criticized me for not having anything to do with publishers and not being associated with a publisher. I just wanted to edit documents before they're published, didn't know I needed some sort of secret handshake/password to work with fellow indie authors before they publish their novels.

Anyway, Elizabeth, if you know anyone who needs some editing done, have them go to my website, contact me, and I'll see what I can do.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

I think this is the link:
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=2361831622
look for Writers etc
And you're in the perfect place to meet writers that may need your services. :-) Are you on twitter? I could give you a shout out!

message 12: by Anja (new)

Anja Hey I'm Anya, 17 and live in Germany. Elizabeth already knows me ;)
A weird fact about me? Hmm...I always start reading like a million books at one time lol. I start one, read a bit, start another and so on..so it takes me some time to finish one..except for if it's that good that I finish it in one or two days!

Thanks for the invite Elizabeth =)

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Hey Anya *waves!* I'm so glad your here! Thanks for joining in the fun :-)

message 14: by Anja (new)

Anja Of course =) Those 140 characters on Twitter really can be so unnerving lol

message 15: by Cliff (new)

Cliff Ball (cliffball) Elizabeth wrote: "I think this is the link:
look for Writers etc
And you're in the perfect place to meet writers that may need your services. :-) Are you on twitter? I could gi..."

My twitter is cliff_ball Thanks! Is that group the one with Harry Potter and Twilight as a group pic?

Hi Anja and A.F.

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Cliff wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "I think this is the link:
look for Writers etc
And you're in the perfect place to meet writers that may need your services. :-) Are you on t..."

Yep! And please introduce yourself. I know Italia wants this as a forum for people to share and grow. She'd want to know that you are an accomplished author and are willing to take on line-editing clients, so please be sure to include it in your info!

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

And Cliff, I'm adding you on twitter!

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Actually, I already stalk you! *tee-hee*

message 19: by Anja (new)

Anja Hey CLiff! =)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello! I'm Regan Coomer. I'm a Northern Kentuckian with degrees in journalism and English. I write for a local newspaper by day, but at night I'm gobbling up supernatural YA books and blogging about them. Odd fact? Too many to count, but I am a Jane Austen addict, I can eat cereal any time of the day and grammar mistakes drive me insane. ; ) I look forward to getting to know y'all!

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Hey, Regan!
You're gonna LOVE Cliff! And I'm extending you an offer as well. I really want to start a grammar thread where people can post questions. Oh great grammar guru, would you be willing to help in this endeavor? *crosses fingers and holds breath*

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha, of course. I will do my best to share my grammar somewhat-expertise.

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Hello Cat!
My computer didn't refresh and I got Regan's post first...weird, I know.

Thanks so much for joining our merry band, and I love meeting fellow authors! Is there a thread that you would like to see on here? Something that you would like to discuss?

And BTW, I hate certain types of weird honey too. Standard honey, not so bad. :-)

message 24: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (agentausten09) | 35 comments Hey, I'm Catherine and I'm a college English teacher from Indiana. I have a BA and an MA in English. I like to write and this summer i'm trying to get my writing groove back before I get busy teaching in the fall. I mainly write poetry, but recently have been working on a short story that I have no idea what to do with. Odd fact? Um...not sure how odd it is, but I'm a total Buffy the Vampire Slayer nerd. I can quote most of the eps my heart.

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Catherine!
I'm so glad to be able to type more than 140 characters!

I admire poets. I think I've said this before, but poetry is so personal to me that I normally write something and then destroy it for fear that someone else will read it. I know ... weird, right?

Hey, do you know Paul W Hankins? He's the creator of http://rawinkonline.com/ truly a phenomenal teacher and I great motivator. Check out his site (I went so far as to join:-). He's also @PaulWHankins for my twitter friends!

message 26: by Anja (new)

Anja Hey Catherine! OMG I LOVE Buffy!!! I've watched all the seasons soo many times, it's my all time favorite show! What's your favorite season? =)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Uh oh I gotta get in on this. Catherine and I have discussed Buffy tons of times. I too, love Buffy. Some people disagree with me, but Season 4 is in my top three. ; )

message 28: by Jacquelyn (new)

Jacquelyn (jwheeler) | 43 comments Hi all! I'm a YA author working on the third book in the Soterians series. I'm also the director of technical publications at a software company and an orthopedic massage therapist. I will gladly offer advice on the grammar thread, as it's a hobby of mine (that clearly counts as an odd fact). I LOVE buffy and authors and bloggers, so I think I'm going to love this group. Thanks for starting it, Elizabeth!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Jacquelyn! Yes, I think you'll fit right in, lol

message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Sure thing! Thanks for joining us!

message 31: by Anja (new)

Anja @Regan: Really? Season 4 was one of my least favorites..the whole Institution thing and Riley...the only awesome thing was Spike! LOVE that man, he is hilarious lol.
I love season 2, 3 and 7 alot. And 5 was good too..and..all of them were great lol

message 32: by Anja (new)

Anja Hey Jacquelyn! I've been wanting to read your books, they sound great! =)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

@Anja Really. Season 4 is just sooo fun and carefree compared to the later seasons. I wasn't a fan of Riley, but I thought the Institution was interesting. Also, the Super Buffy thing was amazingly cool. I too love 2, 3, and 7. And Spike. Five is my least favorite because of Dawn. ; )

message 34: by Anja (new)

Anja That's true! I love though how Joss Whedon can make us laugh through the whole episode and then put such a shocking or sad ending out there or stuff like that you know? That man is seriously amazing :-D
Aah Spike..I LOVED him especially in season 7! I'm not sure who I like more though..Spike or Angel...I mean Buffy and Angel were just..Buffy and Angel lol.. and yeah Dawn can be really annoying..I found it wierd how they just put her out there you know..

Maybe we should open a thread for fav tv shows or something so that we don't spam here lol

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (bookcrazyjenn) | 14 comments Mod
Hi all!

I am Jenn - single mom of 2, photographer and blogger - I will be one of the one's you want to pick apart because my use of grammar and spelling is HORRIBLE!

Anyway, rogue fact...I just had fruit loops for dinner, is that weird?

message 36: by Hope (last edited Aug 01, 2010 06:41PM) (new)

Hope Collier (hopecollier) | 28 comments Mod
Hey Chirenjenzie members!

I'm Hope, resident noob and oddball ;) I hate writing introductions because I never feel like I have something interesting to say... and that I won't wish I could revise later. I'm currently in the final rounds of revision for my first YA. The dreaded query letter looms at my door.

Weird fact: How do I choose? Finding a normal one would be easier. I have serious sensory issues when it comes to touch. Cannot stand the feel of cardboard, construction paper or wooden utensils. :P

You can find me on Twitter @HopeCollier or
www.lilliputianjourney.blogspot.com

Looking forward to talking with y'all!

message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

I know what you mean! I hate it when people fold papaer and then slide the nails across the edge. Gives me the heebie jeebies! I gues we're kindred oddballs! Welcome!

message 38: by Elizabeth (new)

And Jenn, I think fruit loops make an excellent meal anytime, day or night. :-)

message 39: by Hope (new)

That thought just gave me permanent chills!

message 40: by C. (new)

C. | 4 comments Hi, I’m Corina. I don’t care much about grammar and I think spelling is overrated. I am passionate about facilitating children in their writing efforts. What I know about writing is that it must be concise, elicit emotion, or further the story line. I'm 43 and don’t tolerate wasting time. What is fun about me is that I find humor in everyday moments.

message 41: by Hope (new)

Hey, Corina! I've heard non-stop goodness about you since I met Beth! I'm so excited to get to know you better!

message 42: by Elizabeth (new)

Ren, Izzie, Jenn, this is my Rena! She's is the best damn content editor on the face of the planet, and before anyone asks she's taken! :-) I'm so glad you joined us Reen, and I'm excited for everyone to finally have the opportunity to chat more than 140 characters at a time.

message 43: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi Tefft (cynditefft) | 38 comments Hi, all! I'm Cyndi and am polishing my first MS (a love story set in the afterlife). I also have a book/writing blog: http://ctefft.blogspot.com.

I'm a mother of 2 and manage benefits for my day job. :)

What's weird about me? I am an absolute freak about Scotland. Love kilts, bagpipes, the accent, the history, the castles, the people- you name it!

message 44: by Elizabeth (new)

My mother outlaw (God bless her pointed head) is originally from Scotland. She grew up in Edinburough (sp?)and we still have her clan's kilt pattern around here somewhere. She's lived in the states for years, but I wish you could hear her and her sister talk over tea. I can only catch about every other word, but the lilt is lovely. Anyway, so glad your on here Cyndi! Welcome!

message 45: by Olivia (last edited Aug 02, 2010 12:21AM) (new)

Olivia (oliviasloane) | 22 comments Mod
Hello all! Of course some of you recognize my weird fact right out of the gate. I rarely sleep.

Bad habit as I usually have my lids propped open with toothpicks.

As for who I am: Just some Italian broad trying to save some endangered ghost bears on the coast of BC thru her experience in
the movie business. Otherwise, I'm
a fledgling YA writer who enjoys
helping others far more talented than I.

Thanks to everyone who has agreed to read my work. I know deep down y'all do it because you're too kind to say no! lol

message 46: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (hippiewriter78) | 16 comments Hi Darlings! I'm Amanda (@hippiewriter78 on twitter) and was born, raised, and currently living in Cleveland, Ohio. I have written poetry for over 20 years and was the recipient of the YA award for a children's book I wrote in elementary school. My WIP is a non-fiction book that is based in psychology, philosophy, spirituality, and my life experiences to help readers unlock their minds, hearts, and spirits from being stuck in any situation, way of thinking, or life in general. Now that I am working on query letters, I am simultaneously typing my manuscript and editing. This is the time I am spending connecting with so many writers through facebook, twitter, and blogging. I have always loved the feeling of the pen in my hand. It provides me with a focal point for keeping on track and remaining in a state of mindful consciousness while I write. Keep it simple and the rest will fall into place. :) xxoo

Oh...Strange fact: I run away from squirrels...they creep me out! hahahaahah!!!! I also love to laugh and make others laugh :))))

I really look forward to connecting with everyone!

Thanks for inviting me Izz!! :)

message 47: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (oliviasloane) | 22 comments Mod
Always great to see you Amanda girl!!
Muah! =)

message 48: by Carole (new)

Carole (casutton) | 2 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Please tell us a little about yourself and be sure to include a weird fact! :-)"
I'm Carole Sutton, I have two crime fiction books out there, and one more about to hit the streets in the next few weeks. One weird fact is my kids tend to give me challenging birthdays. For my 50th they paid for an hours flight in a Cessna and I actually flew the plane. For my 60th I got to climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge. WoW! I beat them to it for my 70th - and saw my first crime book published.
I shall be interested in the grammar discussion, commas are a problem with me, too.

message 49: by Elizabeth (new)

Amanda, I didn't know you lived in Cleveland. You're not too far away! :-)

And just so everyone knows, Italia's being waaay to modest.

Welcome Carole! Now you are by far have one of the most interesting introductions! I think I'm going to start doing that for my birthdays (Rena...quick, hide!). I'm glad I'm not the only one that seems to be comma challenged. The rules are so convoluted, but it's great that Cliff, Regan and others have volunteered their mad editing advice.

Thanks so much for joining!

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (hippiewriter78) | 16 comments Awe...great to see all of you too!!! xoxo

« previous 1 3 4 5