Children's Books discussion

The Picture-Book Club > September 2010: Back-to-School Books (Master List & General Discussion)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Aug 13, 2010 08:04AM) (new)

Kathryn | 6012 comments Mod
In September, the Picture Book Club will be going "Back to School" so here is your chance to vote for the five books you'd most like to read.

To vote, please choose from the list of books included here and post a comment with your top five picks. To read through with the comments of those who nominated the books, you can scan the comments below, or to view a comprehensive list, simply click on MORE below the "Books mentioned in this topic" which appears just to the right of this particular comment.

Votes will be collected until August 20th. Thanks!

In terms of scope for this topic, I'd love it if our selections include not only back-to-school books (especially those that help kids feel excited to head back to school) but also "first day of school" books and even some stories about awesome teachers or great classroom/field trip experiences. Or perhaps children making the best of a not-so-great teacher--taking learning into their own hands? Also, I'm not sure how many books there are on the subject, but I would really love to try to include one title for our official selection on alternative types of "school" such as home school. But, of course, this is all about what books are most appealing to you (and/or your kids/students) so go for whatever strikes your fancy :-)

message 2: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

I'll start off the noms with a few books I have read and enjoyed:

Iggy Peck, Architect

Miss Nelson Is Back

The Kissing Hand

Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse

Jessica

message 3: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 229 comments It may be hard to find, but I would like to nominate Clifton L. Taulbert's book, Little Cliff's First Day of School. This book is a part of the "Little Cliff" series I mentioned back when we were looking for books about food. The series is based on Taulbert's childhood in Mississippi and I just love them.

My other nominee is Bill and Pete by Tomie dePaola. I love the problem that Willian Everett Crocodile has in writing his name at school until Pete, his "toothbrush" and best friend, gives him a nickname. (Especially since I had to learn to write "Wilhelmina" to get my library card!)

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Aug 03, 2010 12:16PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Thank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco

The Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco

Mr. Lincoln's Way by Patricia Polacco

The first two books above are about special ed/learning disabilities at school, the third book is about bullying at school.

I like many of the books suggested above too: Iggy, Kissing, Lilly, Jessica.

What about one of the Magic School Bus books?

I know there are more...

ETA: The Junkyard Wonders is also about starting a new school.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily Little Rabbit Goes to School is a charming beautifully illustrated book. On his first day of school Little Rabbit brings along his favorite toy, a little wooden horse on wheels. The text is about the naughty things "Charlie Horse" does that day, but the illustrations tell a slightly different story.

message 8: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Oooh! Some great noms so far. Thanks! :-) Keep 'em comin'!

message 10: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 229 comments And here's one I haven't read, but I would love to know if anyone else has:

First Day in Grapes by L. King Perez

It's a Pura Belpre Honor Book.

First Day in Grapes (Pura Belpre Honor Book. Illustrator (Awards)) by L. King Perez

message 11: by Lisa (last edited Aug 03, 2010 12:12AM) (new)

message 12: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 192 comments Timothy Goes to Schoolby Rosemary Wells, Froggy Goes to School by Jonathan London well because it's Froggy. How I Spent My Summer Vacation by Mark Teague. I haven't read this one but it looked interesting.

message 13: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Aug 03, 2010 08:36AM) (new)

What about books showing what school was like in the "olden days"???
I saw this at the library yesterday and it looks great, it's set during the Reconstruction era: Virgie Goes to School with Us Boys
ETA: I see that Gundula already nominated it. Yay!

message 14: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 7846 comments Mod
Kathryn wrote: "What about books showing what school was like in the "olden days"???
I saw this at the library yesterday and it looks great, it's set during the Reconstruction era: [book:Virgie Goes to School wit..."

Kathryn, I really want to read that story. It sounds wonderful. I think that I will definitely vote for it.

message 15: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 229 comments Kathryn wrote: "I saw this at the library yesterday and it looks great, it's set during the Reconstruction era: Virgie Goes to School with Us Boys....."

I would have nominated that one also, had it not been nominated already. A really good one.

message 16: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Douglas (teachgiftedkids) | 312 comments I always read MY TEACHER SLEEPS IN SCHOOL by Leatie Weiss to my third graders. Younger grades would also love this cute story about how the students "prove" that their teacher really does sleep in the classroom.

message 17: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (last edited Aug 13, 2010 08:06AM) (new)

Tricia wrote: "I always read MY TEACHER SLEEPS IN SCHOOL by Leatie Weiss to my third graders. Younger grades would also love this cute story about how the students "prove" that their teacher really does sleep in..."

My Teacher Sleeps in School (I created a link so this will post on the master list.)

message 22: by Jenny (last edited Aug 15, 2010 08:57PM) (new)

Jenny | 722 comments Here are my votes:
Nasreen's Secret School: A True Story from Afghanistan
My School in the Rain Forest: How Children Attend School Around the World
My Teacher Sleeps in School

Little Cliff's First Day of School

The Junkyard Wonders

Just wanted to mention one other cute book that you might want to check out if you get a chance...First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg... the kids always get a kick out of the end...they are so surprised to find that they aren't the only ones nervous for the first day.

message 24: by Gale (last edited Aug 16, 2010 10:56PM) (new)

Gale So many "school" books that I love have already been nominated. Lisa, I feel the very same way about Patricia Polacco!

I second the nominations of:
Chrysanthemum
Mr. Lincoln's Way
Thank You, Mr. Falker
My Great-Aunt Arizona
Jessica

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Gale, Have you read The Junkyard Wonders yet? It's her newest, and one of her very best, in my opinion.

message 26: by Gale (new)

Gale I think I read it in the bookstore, but don't remember much about it except that I did like it. I plan to buy it soon! Thanks for reminding me about it.

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Yes, I can recommend all 3 of her "school" stories.

message 29: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks to all who have voted so far. For anyone who hasn't yet, remember today is the last day to vote!!!

message 30: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Click here to see the winners:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

I think we have a great selection and thanks to everyone for the wonderful nominations and for voting! It's great to see the club continue going strong :-)

I hope that you will all have ample time to get copies of the books (especially if you have to use ILL) so we can all be on board to start off the discussions come September!

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Kathryn, It's another exciting month (the only kind we've had so far) and I do appreciate the extra notice prior to 9/1!!!

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Abigail wrote: "I thought some of you might be interested in this recent San Francisco Chronicles, featuring recent back-to-school titles:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article..."

Thanks, Abigail! I should have posted this. It's in today's Sunday paper and the book section is one of the only sections I've read so far. I was so happy to see The Junkyard Wonders listed as one of the books.

I do get only the Sunday Chronicle, not the other days/no time to read, and www.sfgate.com is their website.

message 33: by Gale (new)

Gale Thanks, Abigail, this was an interesting read.

message 34: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks for posting that, Abigail! Exciting that one of our selections, The Junkyard Wonders, is mentioned :-) And, always great to find new titles, too.

message 35: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Marcos (crystalmarcos) | 477 comments Thanks Abigail, I tweeted it so others can read the article too. =)

message 36: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

I remember those sounded wonderful when I saw them on our nominations list. I will be on the look-out ;-)

message 37: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 192 comments I read the The Kissing Hand and Jessica. Although not on our list I thought they were wonderful. Especially The Kissing Hand!

message 38: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Brenda wrote: "I read the The Kissing Hand and Jessica. Although not on our list I thought they were wonderful. Especially The Kissing Hand!"

I really liked both those books, too! (By the way, I've been meaning to ask where your profile picture was taken? It's so pretty!)

message 39: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 192 comments The picture is of a Bavarian farm house in Germany that I was fortunate to visit once. I just love the style of the home.

message 40: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Brenda wrote: "The picture is of a Bavarian farm house in Germany that I was fortunate to visit once. I just love the style of the home."

Ah, okay, I was thinking maybe Switzerland or thereabouts. I was hoping that you were able to actually see this in person ;-) How nice!

message 41: by Jenny (last edited Sep 30, 2010 02:54PM) (new)

Jenny | 722 comments I read a cute book with a school theme to my children tonight at bedtime. It was Miss Mingo and the First Day of School. Miss Mingo is a flamingo who asks each of her diverse students (a number of different animals) to share one special thing about them. That was great right there... the idea that each child (animal) is special and has something unique to contribute. But then after each animal talked, in small print it gave a fact or two about that animal (such as that young elephants will suck on the end of their trunk to comfort themselves just like children often suck their thumbs. Or baby pandas are the size of a hot dog...900 times smaller than their mother, and are pink and blind when born.) It could lead to so many great discussions...about animals, about how unique we are. My seven year old daughter asked, "Why doesn't she teach a class that is all teh same...like all pigs or all flamingos...so we had a spontaneous discussion about the benefits of diversity and how the kids in her school come from many different backgrounds (ethnic, language, religious, etc.) and how great it is that they get to learn from each other. (Now I realize but didn't go into it that people from different backgrounds are all still people while these were all different kinds of animals... but still it was a great discussion.)
Anyway, thought I'd share this cute, informative book.Miss Mingo and the First Day of School

message 42: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Thanks for posting, Jenny! Looks great!

message 43: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

I finally read Thank You, Mr. Falker and loved it! What a sweet, inspiring tribute to a truly special man! And so encouraging for children struggling with learning differences today--or teachers who are feeling discouraged and need to be reminded that they really DO make a difference! I can't say enough good things about it. I'm so glad Polacco was part of our School Reads! Thanks to Lisa for the suggestion and to everyone who posted such great reviews of her books!

message 44: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 722 comments Until reading The Junkyard Wonders, Thank You, Mr. Falker was my favorite picture book ever. I read it to my class every year. And every year I cry. Now I can't decide which is my favorite, so I guess I'll have to have two favorites....and a million others that I also love!

message 45: by Gale (new)

Gale Jenny wrote: "Until reading The Junkyard Wonders, Thank You, Mr. Falker was my favorite picture book ever. I read it to my class every year. And every year I cry. Now I can't deci..."

I can relate!

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Jenny, I feel the same way! Thank You, Mr. Falker was my favorite of Patricia Polacco's books but after I read The Junkyard Wonders felt even more amazing in some ways, and in some ways not. They're both outstanding, and they're two of my favorite picture books and 2 of my favorites by Polacco. She's wonderful!

message 47: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

I'm so eager to read "Junkyard Wonders" when it comes to my library. Gosh, it must be amazing if it can compare to "Mr. Falker"--I'm excited :-)

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Kathryn wrote: "I'm so eager to read "Junkyard Wonders" when it comes to my library. Gosh, it must be amazing if it can compare to "Mr. Falker"--I'm excited :-)"

I think it's amazing. I hope that you're not disappointed. Be sure to read the very last page.

message 49: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Good to know. Thank you!

message 50: by Kathryn, The Princess of Picture-Books (new)

Just wanted to revive this thread for any of our new members as August and September are back-to-school months for many of us and I thought some parents and teachers might benefit from this list of great books!