Karen Chance Fans discussion

Web Sites > Fan Fiction

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Enjee, Founder (last edited Aug 13, 2013 07:26PM) (new)

Enjee | 1194 comments Mod
There is a steadily growing collection of fan fiction using the characters created and owned by Karen Chance. Here are links to the "Cassandra Palmer" and "Dorina Basarab" fan fiction sites:

Cassandra Palmer fanfiction

Dorina Basarab Series fanfiction

Cassandra Palmer Crossover fanfiction

The authors always beg for reviews, so if you read a story and you liked it, you might consider leaving a review.

ETA: added Dorina Basarb stories link
ETA: added Cassandra Palmer Crossover stories link

message 2: by Enjee, Founder (last edited Aug 04, 2010 07:19PM) (new)

I know we have at least two fan fic authors as group members and both of them have produced entertaining fan fiction, so I will post my non-Pritkin story requests here:
1. Dory and Louis-Cesare Do It
2. Alternate EtN ending - Cassie does it with two Mirceas
3. Caedmon Meets The Consul
4. Rosier Dies (permanently)
5. Describe why Rafe gets made a vampire (something other than Tony wanted his house painted)
6. Cassie goes back in time and meets ??? (you pick a historical figure)
7. Explain why Mircea is wearing blue jeans

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments LOL. I'm totally on board with your first request!

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Loss (supersteffy) | 136 comments I'm thinking about writing a parody of KC books, starting with the Cassie series, but I'm not sure how to go about writing a parody, much less one about Cassie. I could use some help.(Maeve, I know you might have a few ideas...)

message 5: by Mai (new)

Mai (maisydaisy) I have no idea. I generally only really write character introspection or Plot What Plots.

message 6: by Mai (new)

Mai (maisydaisy) Think caricatures though. Any ridiculous attributes a character has, exaggerate them. Silliness is key. But be warned, parody is practically the hardest thing to write, particularly without making people think you don't like the subject. Terry Prachett is the master, but even he's more satire than anything else.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Loss (supersteffy) | 136 comments What's the difference b/t satire and parody(in simple terms)?

message 8: by Enjee, Founder (last edited Sep 13, 2010 05:57PM) (new)

Why don't you check out some of the Goodreads groups that are focused on writing? Just select the "Groups" pulldown menu on the toolbar and enter "writer" or "writing" to get a list of groups for writers. You can probably get a good answer from a member of one of those groups.
Here's one:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 9: by Mai (new)

Mai (maisydaisy) Parody is gently poking fun at something/someone by mimicking it/them. Satire is the same thing, but poking harsh fun rather than gentle. Like I said, it's very hard to differenciate when writing.

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Loss (supersteffy) | 136 comments Thanks Maeve! And thanks Enjee for the link...they were both helpful!

message 11: by Mai (new)

Mai (maisydaisy) For anyone else thinking of writing fanfiction. Here is the worst fic of all time. Write like this and I swear to God, I'll disown you :D This fic was actually posted on FF.net, but it got deleted for abuse to the English language.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 64 comments O.M.G.
Please tell me that was a joke post? This person can't be serious.

message 13: by Josie (new)

Josie | 643 comments I think a little piece of me died inside.

message 14: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments LOL, she likes ebony doesn't she?

message 15: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 70 comments I...what...no. Lots and lots of no.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 64 comments I thought my fan fic was bad, but this makes me feel much better about myself.

message 17: by Enjee, Founder (new)

@Sarah - What is your fanfic? may we read it?

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 64 comments LOL--Oh, horror of horrors... I'll post the link, if you promise not to laugh! It's Black Dagger Brotherhood. I didn't get very far with it.

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/6...

message 19: by Mai (new)

Mai (maisydaisy) That is genuinely serious. Isn't it funny how she keeps saying "STOP FLAMING"? The little moron actually didn't understand that she couldn't write. I am by and large a tolerant person (em, well, I pretend to be) but people who think they can write and can't drive me nuts, and people who won't accept constructive criticism trip the terminate-with-extreme-prejudice switch in my head.

message 20: by Enjee, Founder (new)

Maeve - sometimes you are scary.

message 21: by Nadine (new)

Nadine (Senceless) | 26 comments that 'story' of this ebony-girl (if you can call this so) was, I don't know how to say...that's horrible, that's eye-raping, that's not nice...I've read the first two chappies and I have to say, my brain was screaming and pleading me to stop...that's why I let my stories be betaed

message 22: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments Sarah, it looks good. Were you part of that Sistehood group? I got kicked out of it.
You should post the links in the BDB group (fanfiction thread)!

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 64 comments I was, Mel. But I got so busy with other things that I couldn't post stories regularly, so I dropped out. I had a whole storyline planned, too. :) Instead I'm practicing my regular fiction skills (see other posts in my Writing section). I need to learn better characterization and dialogue skills.

And Maeve is NOT scary. She is correct. Crimes against the English language should be severely punished, especially if the perpetrator is unwilling to accept responsibility for their crime.

message 24: by Kat (new)

Kat | 237 comments My eyes, they bleed...ohhhh what a world...

message 25: by Mai (last edited Oct 29, 2010 01:31AM) (new)

Mai (maisydaisy) By the way for any of the new members who are interested, here is a link to my Cassie Palmer fics Just scroll down to my stories.

message 26: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 70 comments Mel, you were kicked out of somewhere!?

message 27: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments Yep? Can you believe it? Me?!?
It was the Sisterhood group with all BDB lovers. At first I thought it was going to be a group like the BDB group (it was before I was a mod) but it turned out to be some kind of roleplaying thing. And I hate roleplaying. And since I didn't participate enough I got kicked out. I believe it was when the rest of the girls where in Australia, chasing lessers...

message 28: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 70 comments LOL!! Sounds like you're better off. I'm surprised you didn't run from them first!

message 29: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_b) | 406 comments I'm more of the evasive approach ;)

message 30: by Enjee, Founder (new)

I really should get a FanFiction account...that way I would get alerts when a story is updated. A new chapter was added to The Gift a few days ago and I just now noticed. I had stopped checking because the writer stopped updating months ago.

message 31: by Mai (new)

Mai (maisydaisy) Did you finish The Gift Enjee? It was only part one! And it had quite an ending.

Also, shameless self-advertising:
Complications
5 months later, I updated!

message 32: by Enjee, Founder (new)

Oh.My.God.
I did not know the Gift had been updated yet again...thanks for letting me know.
I wonder how long it will take for part 2...I hate cliffhangers.

I read your story Maeve. That is some spell Pritkin decides to use on Cassie...and another story with a cliffhanger!!! What is it with these fanfic writers...making us wait MONTHS and leaving us with a cliffhanger. Gah!

However...I am happy that some of the more creative folks out there are keeping us in semi-KC world stories while we wait for the real stuff.
Thanks for the story, Maeve. How come I can't leave a comment/review?

message 33: by Mai (new)

Mai (maisydaisy) I've no idea, you should be able to. Try again, I definitely enabled anonymous reviews.

message 34: by Enjee, Founder (new)

Hmmmm...I just read that author's profile. It says they will be "improving" the story before they post part 2. Although the story does suffer a bit from "Tea, Vicar?" and "Styrofoam" I still think it was among the best in that category. I would be happier if we had some real Karen Chance stories to read...

Caro Clarke Writing Tips

message 35: by Kat (new)

Kat | 237 comments I like the tips, from that guy enjee. Very informative for a novice writer yet doesn't sound like a pompous windbag.

message 36: by Mai (new)

Mai (maisydaisy) Er, what exactly do 'Tea, Vicar?' and 'Styrofoam' mean?

message 37: by Josie (last edited Jan 04, 2011 03:28AM) (new)

Josie | 643 comments If you click on the 'Caro Clarke Writing Tips' link, it'll tell you there :)
ETA: Or was it that you didn't understand the explanation?

message 38: by Mai (new)

Mai (maisydaisy) Oh, right! I didn't actually click on the link! That does explain a lot.

message 39: by Mai (new)

Mai (maisydaisy) I'm fairly sure we have some German speakers here, so for anyone who has even a passing fluency, this fic is definitely worth reading. Very sad though.

message 40: by Josie (new)

Josie | 643 comments Btw Maeve, I really like your fanfictions. You are ridiculously good at Pritkin's POV, dead on how I imagine him. Funny too :)

message 41: by Mai (new)

Mai (maisydaisy) Aw, thanks dollface :D Incidentally an English version of that fic should be up soon.

message 42: by Nadine (new)

Nadine (Senceless) | 26 comments Thanks for the promotion, maeve, but you can also tell them that you're the beta reader for the fic ^^
maybe when they read your name, I'll get more readers ^___°

message 43: by Mai (new)

Mai (maisydaisy) Yes. The English is all me. I am awesome. I'm actually working on it right now and it's pretty hard to accurately reflect the original atmosphere in a translation but one does one's best. (PS Nadine does the translating not me!)

message 44: by Nadine (last edited Jan 21, 2011 01:25PM) (new)

Nadine (Senceless) | 26 comments Tell me something new. I mean it's hard enough to write something in German to catch the the readers' attention, but then when I translate the whole thing, it's like hell for me (okay, maybe not hell, but something close to it). I struggle with the right words, the right meanings, so the atmosphere goes 'puff' in the translation.

message 45: by Hedgehog (new)

Hedgehog | 55 comments Enjee wrote: "Hmmmm...I just read that author's profile. It says they will be "improving" the story before they post part 2. Although the story does suffer a bit from "Tea, Vicar?" and "Styrofoam" I still think ..."

Enjee, I hope you like the re-write when I post it.

message 46: by Hedgehog (new)

Hedgehog | 55 comments Maeve wrote: "Did you finish The Gift Enjee? It was only part one! And it had quite an ending.

Also, shameless self-advertising:
Complications
5 months later, I updated!"

Enjee and Maeve - thanks for the mention.

message 47: by Mai (new)

Mai (maisydaisy) I love your stuff McCora! Welcome to the group :D

message 48: by Jessica E (new)

Jessica E (jlovett87) | 64 comments I agree, you are a good writer McCora!

message 49: by Hedgehog (new)

Hedgehog | 55 comments Maeve and Jessica - thanks for the kind words.

message 50: by Emmy (new)

Emmy Hey everyone! Thanks to this forum I had good stuff to read last night! I read a lot of SVM ff and didn't think to look for this series! I read McCora's The Gift and loved it! Now I need to check out some of the others!

« previous 1 3