Q&A with Vicki Hopkins discussion

Historical Novels

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 9 comments Historical novels, along with mysteries and thrillers are my favorite reading. I love a good thriller, keeping me on the edge of my seat, or a good mystery, especially if I canot figure out whodunnit until the end when it is revealed. I love to be surprised and it thrills me when I pick the wrong murderer. As you know, I do not care for graphic lovemaking. I think there is a point beyond which you should not go in descriptions, but this is because of my committment to God. I used to read quite graphic love stories a while back.
But I feel that leaving a bit to ones imagination lends more to the romance than descriptions of undulating bodies, sex organs, sweat, etc-LOL.
I can deal with violence to a point. It is easier to take in a book than on the screen, TV or movie. I find myself hiding during autopsies in some of the shows I like to watch.
I prefer my history in Europe, any time-love historical before the time of Christ, during the time of Christ, Christian based, middle ages, and love books set in England and Scotland.I loved researching the music for my novel for composers who lived during the time of Erik so I could include their music in my book. Classical music is one of my loves, and of course POTO lends to this medium so very well.

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Vicki wrote: "Do you like historical novels? I found research fascinating about legalized prostitution in the 19th century and my recent novel regarding the history of the isle of Malta. Is it important to you..."

In a word, *yes.* I find that historical inaccuracies distract me from the story. Bend situations if you must, in order to include your characters, etc., but don't break the facts. People do notice.

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny I love historical fiction as long as it is written well. Even for someone who isn't an expert in history - you can still tell if they 'fake' it. Everyone likes the 1800s, but I'm a fan of the medieval period as well.

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 9 comments Jenny, I like all periods of European history, to Old Testament stories, up to early 20th century. I am not much on American History. Shoot me, but having lived here all my life and studied American history, I just find Europe(and the Holy Land and Egypt too) much more interesting.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I love Historical novels! I like the history to be correct..I like a touch of romance..but not where it takes away from the story.Also a big fan of Medieval history & just discovering Egypt! I went on a 3 week tour of Scotland 3 years ago and couldnt get enough of historical scottish reads!

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 9 comments Sandi, Go to my read books list and you will find many great books about Scotland. I have been a lover of Scottish Historical Fiction for many years since the late 80's when I read some ofMichael Phillips books. I love books by Michael Phillips, Donna Fletcher Crow, Liz Curtis Higgs, Elizabeth english, Donna Fletcher( do not confuse with Donna Fletcher Crow) abd several others.
Anne

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Thanks Anne..I will go poke around your shelves! I do have The Stonewycke Legacy by Michael R Phillips
And Im looking for the others..they are hard to find.

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 9 comments I don't know what i would do without the library. I am an avid reader and could never afford to buy the amount of books I have read.
I have read most of Michael Phillips books about Eyuropean(incl. English, Scottish) history. I am not a fan of American Historical fiction-sorry to those who are.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I have THE worst library for getting books...I have no more room for books!..need to find a better library I guess.