Zombies! discussion

Movies and TV > Movies: Old, New, & Upcoming

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Girly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Girly (girlygrr) | 21 comments What are your favorites - for what reasons?

And let us know if anything good is coming out.

message 2: by Girly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Girly (girlygrr) | 21 comments I love the remake of Dawn of the Dead - running zombies scare the crap outta me.

Slither - hilarious.

28 Days Later - love this movie even though the beginning still annoys me when he's calling out and making so much noise.

Shaun of the Dead - even though the ending gets boring for me I still love this movie.

Am looking forward to:

The Vanguard
http://www.dreadcentral.com/index.php...

Automaton Transfusion
http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/m...

[Rec:]

I am Legend
Fido
Day of the Dead - Remake
30 Days of Night

World War Z

The Signal
http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?i...

That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

message 3: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Diane (dianes) Mt son and I are looking forward to Resident Evil: Extinction

message 4: by Brandon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Brandon | 34 comments Mod
The movie Zombi
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080057/
is not a great movie, but it has one of the most amazing scenes I have ever seen. There is a guy in full zombie make-up who fights a shark! I'm talking a real shark. It is so crazy to watch. Rent this movie and check it out. I think it is called Zombi 2 or just Zombie in the US (Zombi was the name of Dawn of the Dead in Italy and this was trying to ride on its coat tails).

message 5: by Jen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Jen | 4 comments Whoa, fighting a shark that sounds too good to be true. I must watch it asap. In the mean time. I watched "Plane Dead" at the weekend. I swear I heard the line. "I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking plane!" okay so maybe not but, close! essentially there are zombies on a plane caused by the worst malaria in the world. Fan-freaking-tastic !, it has a full type casting, eer cast. Pregant women , criminal, children , feuding couple, retiring captian, hott ( yes double t! ) trolley dollies oh and teenage couples cheating on each other and getting frisky ... yup pretty sure it covers all the bases.

All though excellent there is also Dead and breakfast. Line dancing zombies in a quasi musical is pretty hard to beat.

PS: I do actually like more seriouse zombie movies as well. Resident Evil seris is ace, and the orginal and remake of Dawn of the dead.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Lucio Fulci's _Zombi_ has appeared as _Zombie_ and _Zombie 2_, yo. Brandon's on top of his undead cinema game, yo.

message 7: by Girly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

Girly (girlygrr) | 21 comments That's funny. I went to put Zombi in my Netflix queue and found I already had it there.

I saw Dead and Breakfast a few months back. Entertaining but not scary.

Here's a recent still from [Rec:]:
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/...
They're already in talks to film a US remake.

Creepy components for me: kids and zombies. Combined, man, freaks me out. Like the little girl at the beginning of Dawn of the Dead (Remake). It's like spiders in the real world for me - I'm too sissy-pants to even smash them.

message 8: by Terry (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

Terry (tbosky) | 58 comments One zombie movie I feel bad about not liking is Cemetery Man. I'm willing to chalk it up to not getting it, though.

Undead is a pretty fun zombie movie from Australia. Also, the enemies in Messiah of Evil (aka Dead People, The Second Coming, and Revenge of the Screaming Dead) are pretty cool zombie types. There's a cool scene where someone hiding out in a grocery store finds most of the town devouring the meat section.

message 9: by Brandon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

I enjoyed Bad Taste and Dead Alive. I really liked Cemetery Man, but it is an acquired taste. Rather odd.

message 10: by Jen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

Jen | 4 comments Bad taste definately has the best sheep explosion in any movie of all time. ( being orginally from NZ its always dear to my heart, check out meet the feebles too not quite a zombie movie but distribing non the less ) NZ all so has another zombie movie, Black sheep ( notice the sheep theme here )

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/

Zombie sheep, what more could a girl ask for.
Recently saw 28 weeks later. I thought the concept was good, but man I just was so annoyed at those pesky kids!!

Oh and of course I forgot about planet terror!! All though its not been released this side of the pond yet, Its amazing! The zombies in that have a desire to infect others not just knaw on there flesh.

message 11: by Cookie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Cookie (cookie_beck) | 36 comments I watch Dawn of the Dead everytime it comes on Starz. Which is about .. all the time.

Evil Dead! Is! Amazing! My dad and I picked out Evil Dead 2 when I was a kid, it was just out on VHS. (I feel old) We watched it, and we loved it. Then we rented Evil Dead. Yeah.. not so funny as ED2. And Army of Darkness is also one of my favorites. But I gotta say, even if the first Evil Dead is got the sad looking special effects, it is STILL scary to me. And I just love Bruce Campbell.

Day of the Dead probably scares me the most. So much so that I can't watch it. I watched it when I was a kid, and the scene where one of the guys sacrifices himself to save the others scared me so badly that I still can't watch the movie.

Slither, I agree, is fantastic. Part of the greatness is the DVD extras.

I did watch a terrible zombie movie set in a prison this weekend on Sci-Fi. Bad acting, strobe light effects.. it was totally fun.

message 12: by Girly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Girly (girlygrr) | 21 comments I was so excited about watching Cemetery Man because of all the good reviews. Then, I watched it and thought "All those great reviews must have been from men." If you haven't seen it, there is a very voluptuous woman in it that shows her goods. Not that I'm against nudity, but I just thought the movie was dumb and boring.

Evil Dead series is awesome. I remember laughing my ass off as a kid when Campbell stumbles over the secret words and then gets attacked by the book.

Cookie, my husband and my son watched those extras more than the movie itself. Especially the two scenes: the guy in front of the mirror farting and when the zombie comes up behind Fillion to hit him with a shovel and he makes this retarded sound.

Jen, I've had Black Sheep on my Netflix Save List forever! I hope it's as good as the trailer makes it out to be. October 9!
Planet Terror Oct 16 - I have yet to see.

message 13: by Girly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Girly (girlygrr) | 21 comments Brianna,
My whole backyard is basically one big garden and it is a constant battle with garden spiders. When I can't find the bug spray I use Lysol, shampoo, conditioner, dish soap, anything to drown it with until it stops moving.

My friends laugh at me because I'm so weird about it. They try to tell me that spiders are good for the garden, but I tell them that only certain bugs are allowed in my garden: praying mantis', ladybugs, butterflies, and dragonflies. Those will take care of my garden. Spiders are out!

message 14: by Girly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Girly (girlygrr) | 21 comments Flesh-eating psychopaths? Could be good...
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movien...

message 15: by Brandon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

I love the Evil Dead movies. I have seen Bruce Campbell several times at movie releases and book signings. He is really nice. He really appreciates his fans. He mocks them, yes, but it is out of love. He knows who pays his bills. I have also had the pleasure of meeting Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost (of Shaun of the Dead fame and one of my top ten of all time) at an advanced screening of Hot Fuzz (highly recommended too) they were all really nice too. Really funny in person.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I know spiders creep us out. It's an inborn fear thing, like with snakes and scorpions. There's good reason for the inborn fear, too, because some spiders are terribly poisonous.

But, sometimes you have to let your irrational, destructive fears go.

I cannot recommend more highly the fascinating insect-focused documentary _Life in the Undergrowth_ to start the process.

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Undergrowt...

Spiders, even ones who are cold-blooded killers--and they're ALL cold-blooded killers--are afraid of you and want nothing more than to be left alone and run away whenever they can.

Learn to appreciate spiders, even if you never learn to love them.

I remember once in a tiny apartment I had a multi-web amalgam behind my toilet. I saw a lot of dead ants, and the occasional live one, and three spiders all hanging out in the same spot. After a while, I got a little tired of seeing the webs, so I carefully swept them out. Result? Ants all over my bathroom. After that, I vowed to let the spiders--within reason--use my home as an insect buffet restaurant. The outdoors, well, even MOREso.

message 17: by Cookie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Cookie (cookie_beck) | 36 comments My favorite DVD extra on Slither is "I'm Bill Pardy". It makes me laugh everytime. Nathan Fillion is a funny, funny man.

One of my proudest nerd treasures are emails from Bruce Campbell. If you email him, he will email you back, even though it takes a while. It was well worth it, as I spent a few hours in the middle of the night emailing him back and forth. Ah, good times. Before I had a real job.

Shaun of the Dead is another movie I forgot to add. I could watch that again and again. Edgar Wright's "Don't" trailer in Grindhouse was my absolute favorite.

message 18: by Girly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Girly (girlygrr) | 21 comments Speaking of Nathan Fillion, I wish the network had continued the Firefly series and explored the Reavers more - especially after finding out what they were in Serenity.

Would they fall under the same zombie-ish catagory as "the rage" victims in 28 Days Later?

message 19: by Christen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Christen | 41 comments Hee hee Marisa - we Browncoats will find any excuse to bring the conversation around to Firefly, won't we?

To answer your question, I don't think the Reavers are in the same category as Rage Virus victims. The distinction is so small that I don't know if it even matters, but Reavers can't infect people the way Rage Virus victims can. True, Reavers can give someone Post Traumatic Stress Dysorder so badly that they mimic the fabulous Reaver lifestyle, but there is no actual infection that takes place. Reavers will eventually die out from extinction unless the government pumps funny gases into another planet's air. Rage Virus victims can continue to infect others through biting or bleeding on them.

Does that make sense?

message 20: by Cookie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Cookie (cookie_beck) | 36 comments Browncoats in the house! (you can't see me, but I'm totally raising the roof right now)

Oooh, good question about the Reavers. I have to agree with Christen, though, because there is no passing on of the infection.

message 21: by Girly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Girly (girlygrr) | 21 comments Ahhh... that's right. I remember now - no infection passing.

But I still wish we had got to see them expand the story in new episodes.

message 22: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Alex (alexinmadison) Thread Tangent!

Hey Browncoats... anyone else psyched for Chuck? Adam Baldwin is basically playing Jane in a suit. If you have Tivo you can download an advanced screening from Unbox.

message 23: by Brandon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

As a Browncoat I have to say I am rather disillusioned with the series after the death of Wash. I don't think it could ever be the same without him.

message 24: by Brandon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Another zombie movie I enjoyed was Wild Zero. It is a Japanese flick featuring the band Guitar Wolf. It reminds me a lot of Bad Taste. Anyone else seen that one?

message 25: by Terry (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Terry (tbosky) | 58 comments Haven't seen Wild Zero, but Versus is a crazy Japanese zombie flick. Fun and bloody.

message 26: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 14, 2007 05:53AM) (new)

Still heartbroken over the death of Shepherd Book :_(

message 27: by Cookie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Cookie (cookie_beck) | 36 comments I have friend who, whenever the subject turns to the death of Wash, he immediately starts yelling at us that we don't respect the death of Book enough.

Which is now why we'll bring up Wash, just to get him going. But I digress.

Adam Baldwin, you say?

message 28: by Alex (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Alex (alexinmadison) Cookie: LOL!! Wash's death does seem to get all the attention. At Dragon*Con 2006 there was even a "wake" for Wash in the Con Suite. It was standing room only - people spilling out into the halls. Poor Book, no mention of his untimely demise.

message 29: by Jen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Jen | 4 comments Watched black sheep at the weekend.
AWESOME!

totally meet expectations with enough of the cast of shortland street to make it feel like a real kiwi production.

message 30: by Brandon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Yeah it was a totally crazy movie. Thinking about it I think they stole the plot from Plan 9!

message 31: by Christen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Christen | 41 comments It's here! It's here! Resident Evil!! Boo yeah!!

I'm lucky my friends are so amusedly tolerant of my zombie obsession. They even send me stuff now and then. I'm going to try and get my book club to read the Brooks books.

message 32: by Cookie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

Cookie (cookie_beck) | 36 comments LOL, Christen.

My friends are tolerant of my zombie obsession, too. Sometimes I think they enjoy it. The local movie theatre invited people to dress up like zombies the day Dawn of the Dead opened. When I got to the theatre, one of my friends ran at me in full zombie garb, threw himself to the ground at my feet, and started biting my leg.

I guess no matter how old you get, it's always funny to make a girl scream. (and I totally did, by the way)

I'm going to see Resident Evil tomorrow with my sister, who is the only person who really understands why I'd go see a zombie movie even though they terrify me.

message 33: by Brandon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:39PM) (new)

I hope the new Res Evil is better than the second one. Apocalypse seemed to forget that there were supposed to be zombies. I liked it, but there were not nearly enough zombies!

message 34: by Girly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Girly (girlygrr) | 21 comments Anyone been keeping up with the clips from Rec?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeaUok...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJV5Ll...

I hope the hype isn't over nothing and it turns out to be good.

message 35: by Girly (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

message 36: by Jen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:59PM) (new)

Jen | 4 comments Yup I certinly have its called Plane dead.
very very funny.

"I am sick and tired of these mother $%^&ing zombies on this mother @#$%ing plane! "

definatley worth watching the similaritys between it and snakes on a plane are amazing.

its avaible on alluc if you look.

J.

message 37: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

Michael (fogus) Favorites:
The original Romero "trilogy"
Zombi 2
The Beyond
Burial Ground (horrible horrible movie, but worth watching for that "kid" Michael)
Re-Animator
Savini's NOTLD re-make (yes... I DID like it)
The Dawn of the Dead re-make (ditto)
Dellamorte Dellamore
Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (again, bad bad bad, but worth it for the cheese factor)
Braindead
The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue
Versus
-m