What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. childrens book- a wizard

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Miriam B. (last edited Aug 01, 2010 01:14PM) (new)

Miriam B. Sayer (sleepwalker23) A customer is looking for this book:
the latest it could be published was 1957. He was in the third grade. It was a hardbound book, that was stolen from his school's library. The character is a good wizard, but he wore a black cloak. When you looked in the face of the wizard, you saw stars. He had a staff (customer is positive about that) and POSSIBLY bejeweled and again POSSIBLY an orb of light, the staff was the source of his power. There was definitley a city of light in the air.

message 2: by Kristina Marie (new)

Kristina Marie | 137 comments I couldn't find anything that matched exactly, but one book kept popping up:

The Weirdstone of Brisingamen

This was published in 1960, though.

message 3: by Miriam B. (new)

Miriam B. Sayer (sleepwalker23) bumping

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Perhaps one of the The Dark Is Rising books by Susan Cooper? Its been a LONG time since I read them, so I don't remember the particulars--except that there are a couple of them. And they keep getting reprinted, so I'm not sure how old they really are.

message 5: by Miriam B. (new)

Miriam B. Sayer (sleepwalker23) No, Anna he wasn't specific on that. I've posted this in almost every book search forum and haven't had any luck so far :-(

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashinscribbleland) | 64 comments Sounds like Avi, but no idea which one

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Whenever I think of wizards in children's books, I think of Diane Duane and Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones.

I wonder if the books by Avi that you're thinking of, Ash, are the Crispin: The Cross of Lead ones?

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39606 comments Mod
Miriam B. has left the Group so this can be moved to Query Abandoned.