Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Wanna read The Passage by Justin Cronin?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments I am about to pick up The Passage by Justin Cronin and I was looking around for reviews because it sounds a whole lot like The Stand by Stephen King in terms of overall plot, with the particulars being different. I wasn't sure if I wanted to read another take on what I consider the perfect mystery/thriller/ suspense book.

I see that a few of you have this on your To-Read list and it occurred to me that I would love to discuss this with someone as I'm reading. Anyone out there want to pick this up and join me in reading? (I'm actually going to be listening on CD).

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Carol, I'm presently listening to the CD now, but also alternating with the CD of The Spy. Assuming I don't get too confused, I'd love to listen along. So far, the character and plot introductions are intriguing.

message 3: by Ann (last edited Jul 31, 2010 11:08AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments so tempting Carol! How fast do you see yourself reading it on CD (how many CD's how many hours a day, etc.?)
I am not very good at keeping up with a read along sometimes, but is sounds like great fun! I have been thinking about getting the Kindle edition, but am backed up with my Kindle reading tbr.
The library doesn't have an audio copy. I could subscribe to Audible.com again (I think, since I would be a returning member) and get it for free -- tempting!!

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Marcy, Ann, this sounds promising. I'm about halfway through Stalked by Brian Freeman and I listen to about a CD a day so I probably won't be ready to start Stalked until Wednesday. I'll post when I start and if there are several of us reading I'll start a spoilerish thread.

Marcy, I'm glad to hear you are finding the character and plot introductions intriguing. I heard of this on my local PBS news program ... they bring authors on to recommend books in different genres and this was a recommendation.

message 5: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments The unabridged audio is long - about 36hrs. I think. I'm about 4 hours in and liking it more and more. It does remind me of The Stand in terms of foreboding danger, but much less horrific so far.

message 6: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dale | 135 comments I read this a couple of months ago and it was very good. I would also compare it to The Stand, with a few different twists.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments Carol:
Ok, I will finish 61 Hours by Wednesday, maybe a bit before, and I listen to about an hour a day so this could work if I burn my current audio CD's to disks for later... Let me investigate audible.com further.
If we do it do you want to post comments each day here on a spoiler thread?

Marcy wrote: "The unabridged audio is long - about 36hrs. I think. I'm about 4 hours in and liking it more and more. It does remind me of The Stand in terms of foreboding danger, but much less horrific so far."

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Marcy, I was looking at mine just before I logged on, and I saw a phrase that strikes foreboding in the heart of the dedicated audiobook listener: "This abridgement has been approved by the author." Who would have thought that a twelve disc issue would be abridged? Good grief.
The good news is I have the unabridged on reserve as well; the bad news is that I am number 33 in line. So, sorry, false alarm, I won't be listening just now. Maybe the other -- 29 discs!!!! -- will come in before too long.

Marcy wrote: "The unabridged audio is long - about 36hrs. I think. I'm about 4 hours in and liking it more and more. It does remind me of The Stand in terms of foreboding danger, but much less horrific so far."

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3757 comments i want to read the passage but have about 4 books i have to read before i can start it. i like the idea of you all doing a spoiler thread so i can catch up when i get to it.

message 10: by Ann (new)

UGH - how could any author approve an abridged version that goes from 29 disks to 12? Good grief.
Ok, well let me know when it is your turn and I am eager to listen along with you!
I HATE abridged audio books!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Marcy, I was looking at mine just before I logged on, and I saw a phrase that strikes foreboding in the heart of the dedicated audiobook listener: "This abridgement has been approved by the author..."

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3757 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Marcy, I was looking at mine just before I logged on, and I saw a phrase that strikes foreboding in the heart of the dedicated audiobook listener: "This abridgement has been approved by the author..."

well that delay is good for me. by the time you get your copy, i'll be ready to read it with you!

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments I will let you know, Ann. Maybe by that time Sherry will be ready also.

Ann wrote: "Carol:
UGH - how could any author approve an abridged version that goes from 29 disks to 12? Good grief.
Ok, well let me know when it is your turn and I am eager to listen along with you!
I HATE ..."

message 13: by Ann (new)

Maybe I should start now so I can be sure to finish along with you -- just kidding, sort of ... I can do an hour a day, but only on M-F, so might get behind...
At least this helps me decide what format to get. I am struggling with choices lately.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I will let you know, Ann. Maybe by that time Sherry will be ready also.

Ann wrote: "Carol: UGH - how could any author approve an abridged version that goes from 29 disks to 12? Good grief."

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3757 comments Ann wrote: "Carol:
Maybe I should start now so I can be sure to finish along with you -- just kidding, sort of ... I can do an hour a day, but only on M-F, so might get behind...
At least this helps me decid..."

i read the first 2 chapters on my kindle and was intrigued. looking forward to reading it with you!

message 15: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Sherry wrote: "i read the first 2 chapters on my kindle and was intrigued. looking forward to reading it with you!
..."

Cool, Sherry. Will post back here when my copy comes in. Did you buy the Kindle version, and how much was it?

message 16: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Considering how long The Passage is, I'll probably still be working my way through it when you all start. Hopefully, I'll remember the beginning ;)

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Hee! We'll remind you, Marcy. I'm willing to bet that the beginning of this, like all apocalyptic novels, is pretty memorable. I'll never forget the beginning of The Stand...

Marcy wrote: "Considering how long The Passage is, I'll probably still be working my way through it when you all start. Hopefully, I'll remember the beginning ;)"

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments Nor will I, Carol
Whew, thinking about the beginning of The Stand can still give me chills. I went ahead and re-upped for audible.com and got The Passage as my free book. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it counted as two credits so it is both of my first books. It is in five parts; I am having a bit of trouble convincing audible that I want to change my default settings from before and download the format that would work on my Kindle. I am good to burn the first CD's though. Getting excited!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Hee! We'll remind you, Marcy. I'm willing to bet that the beginning of this, like all apocalyptic novels, is pretty memorable. I'll never forget the beginning of The Stand..."

message 19: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dale | 135 comments Ann wrote: "Nor will I, Carol
Whew, thinking about the beginning of The Stand can still give me chills. I went ahead and re-upped for audible.com and got The Passage as my free book. Unfortunatel..."

Ann, can you download from audible.com to your kindle? If so, is this regular books or audio books? I tried listening to something on my kindle and didn't care for it since it wasn't "acted" like audio books normally are.

message 20: by Ann (last edited Aug 01, 2010 12:08PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments Joyce:
audible.com audio books in the format "enhanced" will play on the Kindle. I haven't tried it yet, mostly because I am too lazy to connect the Kindle to the PC to do it. They are to large to go over the Whispernet wireless connection. The file sizes are about four times as large as a format ready for CD's. I haven't tried the Kindle text to speech either, I figured it was as you described and rather dry.
All of my library copies of audible.com downloaded books are in the format that doesn't work on the Kindle. I have been partly successful in downloading them to my library again as enhanced, but the size of the files made me decide to wait until I needed one.

Joyce wrote: "Ann, can you download from audible.com to your kindle? If so, is this regular books or audio books? I tried listening to something on my kindle and didn't care for it since it wasn't "acted" like audio books normally are. "

message 21: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dale | 135 comments Ann wrote: "Joyce:
audible.com audio books in the format "enhanced" will play on the Kindle. I haven't tried it yet, mostly because I am too lazy to connect the Kindle to the PC to do it. They are to large to ..."

Thanks for the info Ann - good to know! I have a 3 hour round trip commute 2x a week so have been listening to more audio books. My library has them available for download, but I have a lot of trouble listening to them on my iPod as it tends to skip around. I am going to borrow an old-school MP3 player from my daughter and try that, otherwise I may go with the audible.com.

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments Joyce:
Re downloaded audio books in the car I have been less than satisfied with non CD audio books for various reasons. I love being able to download to MP3 format which is relatively small and easy to do. NetLibrary without tracks to break up the audio are quirky to stop and start cleanly on my Blackberry. Audible.com downloads are good on my old PDA, but I have trouble with reading the screen for the controls while driving so can't "rewind" if I lose my focus in traffic. Overdrive downloads have tracks and are good, but are not as widely available. Burning to CD's is a somewhat tedious process for the dozen or so disks needed.
Good luck finding a convenient way to listen on the go!
Joyce wrote: "I have a 3 hour round trip commute 2x a week so have been listening to more audio books. My library has them available for download, but I have a lot of trouble listening to them on my iPod as it tends to skip around. I am going to borrow an old-school MP3 player from my daughter and try that, otherwise I may go with the audible.com. ."

message 23: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dale | 135 comments Ann wrote: "Joyce:
Re downloaded audio books in the car I have been less than satisfied with non CD audio books for various reasons. I love being able to download to MP3 format which is relatively small and ea..."

I know what you mean Ann...I have played around with several different options. My library system does have a fairly extensive selection of Overdrive downloads, which I'm going to try on the MP3. They're the ones I had trouble with on my iPod.

I noticed that audible.com has an app for the Droid coming up, which is the phone I use. I'll have to check into that when it rolls out.

message 24: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments Joyce: the audible.com app for my Blackberry works great. I use it sometimes to listen too.

message 25: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3757 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Sherry wrote: "i read the first 2 chapters on my kindle and was intrigued. looking forward to reading it with you!
..."

Cool, Sherry. Will post back here when my copy comes in. Did you buy the ..."

i haven't bought it yet, but will when i am ready to read it. pretty sure is was $9.99

message 26: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3634 comments I'm on the Passage bench too so let me know when you do the audo or book or whatever since I have it on my Nook. I kind of started it already but will probably have to go back and reread what I did already. I probably won't be as fast as some of you because I haven't been doing alot of nook reading yet. But let me know.

message 27: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments uh-oh. the HC version of The Passage is waiting for me, so I'll be able to start it after all. I'll probably pick it up on Library Saturday.

message 28: by Ann (new)

You must be excited!
hmmm, I just started a new audio, Hell Gate, yesterday. I may have to try to catch up with you on The Passage a few days late when I get done with that.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "uh-oh. the HC version of The Passage is waiting for me, so I'll be able to start it after all. I'll probably pick it up on Library Saturday."

message 29: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3757 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "uh-oh. the HC version of The Passage is waiting for me, so I'll be able to start it after all. I'll probably pick it up on Library Saturday."

i am reading waiting to live or something like that by lisa gardner. should finish is by the end of the week and can start the passage after that!
good timing for me. ;) (the rest of the fluff will have to wait..lol)

message 30: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3634 comments yesterday I finished another fast book (alison kent) so maybe today I'll try and get though the rest of fern's book. Going to maybe do costco today looks gloomy so don't know if the weather will be okay hate going out in pouring rain. So it will depend.

message 31: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments The emails kept coming in about books waiting to be picked up so I couldn't wait and went and picked up... {gulp} six books and CDs. So I now have the HC of The Passage... plus The Magicians... and The Last Talk with Lola Faye, and The Hunting Wind and.........

You must be excited!
hmmm, I just started a new audio, Hell Gate, yesterday. I may have to try to catch up with you on The Passage a few days late when I get done with that. ..."

message 32: by Ann (new)

When it rains (books) it pours! I got the notice today that the audio of Faithful Place is ready for pickup. I have quite a backlog of good audio books!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "The emails kept coming in about books waiting to be picked up so I couldn't wait and went and picked up... {gulp} six books and CDs. So I now have the HC of The Passage... plus The Magicians... an..."

message 33: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Good luck on your reading. I read that the Passage is a BFB.

message 34: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3757 comments i should be done with live to tell today or tomorrow- just bought The Passage for my kindle!

message 35: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments I have 17 book out from the library, which is just a tad ridiculous. So I am reluctantly going to return unread the new James Lee Burke and Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell. Yeah, that'll help.

{do I have to confess that I am picking up three more books? Hello, my name is Carol and I am a book addict....}

message 36: by Ann (new)

I am copying CD's to disk for the car as I return two audio books due today unread so no explanation needed!
I am about a week away from starting The Passage on audio. Since I have a couple of BFB's on the Kindle in progress already I am still happy with the audio version if I can find the time with vacation coming up. I am going to try it uploaded to my PDA which no longer holds much of a battery charge unfortunately. .

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I have 17 book out from the library, which is just a tad ridiculous. So I am reluctantly going to return unread the new James Lee Burke and Faceless Killers by [author:Henning Mankel.
{do I have to confess that I am picking up three more books? Hello, my name is Carol and I am a book addict....} .."

message 37: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Ann, I brought home two tempting audio books, In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming and The Burying Place by Brian Freeman, so it is not getting any easier to figure out what to listen to next! However, I will stick with The Magicians until The Passage comes in. I'm number 32 ...

message 38: by Ann (new)

Not to be unhelpful, I love all of the Julia Spencer-Fleming books!! ;) The big question is why do so many good audio books come in at once? I have Faithful Place to pick up on audio today and add to my audio tbr juggle!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann, I brought home two tempting audio books, In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming and The Burying Place by Brian Freeman, so it..."

message 39: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Aug 07, 2010 12:37PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Ann, you aren't the problem here! ;-)

I've long heard good things about the Julia Spencer-Fleming books, so I'm very excited that I found the first one on CD. Now it is simply a matter of finding the time to listen to it....

Not to be unhelpful, I love all of the Julia Spencer-Fleming books!! ;) The big question is why do so many good audio books come in at once? I have Faithful Place to pick up..."

message 40: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3638 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann, you aren't the problem here! ;-)

I've long heard good things about the Julia Spencer-Fleming books, so I'm very excited that I found the first one on CD. Now it is simply a matter of findin..."

The Clare & Russ books are phenomenal, Carol! I was sure you had read them!

message 41: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments I love Julia Spencer-Fleming's Clare and Russ!

message 42: by Tina (new)

Tina Whittle (tinawhittle) | 6 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann, I brought home two tempting audio books, In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming

Hi all,
I'm new to this group (coming over here to visit from Cozy Mysteries group, which is where I got the first recommendation for Julia Spencer-Fleming). I'm a hug fan now, devouring those books. I'll be interested to know how well they translate to audio.

message 43: by Ann (last edited Aug 08, 2010 09:07AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14809 comments Welcome to the group Tina!
We love to have new people join us! Many posters here also love cozy mysteries.
I have read all of the series, and listen to about 25-30 audio books a year but somehow never listened to one of the Julia Spencer-Fleming books. We may have to depend on Carol (the woman with 15-17 books in her library tbr piles) to tell us ;)

Tina wrote: "Hi all,
I'm new to this group (coming over here to visit from Cozy Mysteries group, which is where I got the first recommendation for Julia Spencer-Fleming). I'm a hug fan now, devouring those books. I'll be interested to know how well they translate to audio.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann, I brought home two tempting audio books, In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming."

message 44: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8212 comments Heheheheh.... Sounds like a challenge to me!!!

Tina, welcome, we're glad you've come to visit. I'll be happy to let you know how the audio of In the Bleak Midwinter is. It may be awhile, though, as you have been informed, I have a few books and audios on my TBR....

Ann wrote: "I have read all of the series, and listen to about 25-30 audio books a year but somehow never listened to one of the Julia Spencer-Fleming books. We may have to depend on Carol (the woman with 15-17 books in her library tbr piles) to tell us ;)
..."