Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

To Kill a Mockingbird
This topic is about To Kill a Mockingbird
To Kill A Mockingbird > Favorite Character (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) There are so many characters in this book, who is your favorite? Go into detail why this character affected you when you were reading.

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Scout is my favorite. All the characters are lovable (or not) because we see them through her eyes. She is such a hoot! I adore Atticus too. I just reread this book for another Goodreads' group too and I'd forgotten how much I liked Miss Maudie, and probably liked Jem more than I ever have, But, Scout.

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Atticus is my favorite. I used to wish that he was my dad when I was younger... LOL He has such a trusting parenting style, and he's just such a fantastic and fair and honest and honorable person. He is my absolute favorite.

I'm definitely going to try to squeeze in a re-read of this if I can. :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that Miss Maudie is my favorite character in "To Kill a Mockingbird". She is a very strong woman who speaks to Jem and Scout as equals even though she is more than twice their ages. Also her personal views are definitely something to admire and to emulate. She is never one to get involved in other people's business, and she always does what's honestly right. For example, when Scout asks her about the rumors concerning Boo, Miss Maudie kindly squashes them by telling her that people should respect Boo's wishes to remain away from society and out of the limelight.

message 5: by Grace (last edited Aug 14, 2010 04:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Could we have a discussion on themes as well? There's so much more to this book than the characters. I think we could benefit from a discussion on prejudice and class distinction.

[Comments moved to topic "Folks":]

As for my favourite character - besides the obvious choice of Scout, Atticus, Jem, Dill, and Calpurnia - I really like Dolphus Raymond.

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I am curious why Scout and Jem call their dad Atticus. Myabe I missed why at the beginning of the book?

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Angie wrote: "I am curious why Scout and Jem call their dad Atticus. Myabe I missed why at the beginning of the book?"

For some reason I thought either in the movie or book something was said, but maybe not because I can't think what. I always thought Atticus treated Jem & Scout with such respect and almost as equals too, in some ways, and that it, and their calling him sir on occasion, was a sign of respect and talking with him on the same level/as equals too. Hmm. I should know; I have the dang thing half memorized.

message 8: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I had to reserve the cliff notes at the library for this book. I am not the best at seeing the underneath meanings and themes in books. I am reading this book just straight forward so I need a little help seeing the meanings behind themes.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Oooh...I loved Dill :)

message 10: by Julia (last edited Aug 29, 2010 10:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julia | 432 comments Angie, I don't think you missed why Scout and Jem call their dad Atticus. I was looking and didn't see it. I think Scout gets spoken to by Aunt Alexandra for calling their dad by his name. Also, Harper Lee called her dad by his first name.

My favorite characters this reading were Calpurnia & Maudie. I wish we knew more about Calpurnia, but I liked what was there of her a lot. Miss Maudie was great, a peer of Atticus,' and not spiteful and hateful like Mrs. Dubose. (I still don't get why Atticus says she's so brave...)

I've just started Scout, Atticus, and Boo: A Celebration of Fifty Years of To Kill a Mockingbird, which is interviews of authors, teachers & famous people on TKaM and favorite characters and such and based on a documentary of the same name. Scott Turow became an author because of Atticus. Richard Russo wrote, "Atticus Finch was the father maybe I longed for."

message 11: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

OK so I am now finished with the book finally. I guess my favorite character is Atticus. Such courage during those days to do the things he did.

A couple characters confused me as to their purpose in the book. Boo and Dill. What exactly was Dill's purpose in the novel? He seemed an extra character we could've done without.

I find Boo and interesting character.. we never really learn much about him. Why is he in the house? Is he sick? I like how the cliff notes compares the children wanting to see Boo to the town wanting to see the trial of Tom.

Tom's story is very very sad. Hard to read about really. The poor man did nothing but it is amazing how a town will just follow what each other says.

I love Calpurnia too.I personally enjoyed the part of the book when she was explaining to the kids why she talks one way around white people and another way around black people. She is caught in the middle of two different worlds.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I also liked Boo Radley, and Tom. Poor Tom :(

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Angie wrote: "I find Boo an interesting character.. we never really learn much about him. Why is he in the house? Is he sick?"

Boo is a victim of emotional abuse. His father, out of pride, refused to allow Boo to be punished in the same way as his friends. Instead, Boo's father and. later his brother, buried him alive in their home and Boo's whole life was wasted - except the one act at the end of the book.

message 14: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Why did you think it was emotional abuse? I don't remember getting that feeling from the book.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Angie wrote: "Why did you think it was emotional abuse? I don't remember getting that feeling from the book."

He wasn't allowed to live his life. He was kept in darkness and fear - of his father and brother.

I know I may be reading more into this than is justified. It sounded like his father and his brother ruled their households with a set of very rigid rules that excluded the rest of the world. I think anyone who grows up in that environment who isn't empowered to make his own decisions is going to suffer from emotional imbalance - hence emotional abuse.

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) They kept him prisoner in the house for his whole life just because he made a mistake in his youth. That's abuse. His fear of the outside came because he had been kept from it for so long.