Children's Books discussion

Specific Books & Authors > Book about water soluble space ship

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Rachael Just thought some people might interested that to know that L'Engle died yesterday at the age of 88. She was the young adult author of A Wrinkle in Time, probably the first sci-fi book I ever read.

message 2: by Vanessa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Vanessa | 10 comments Does anyone know the name of this book? Some of the details may be incorrect, since it has been many years since my husband read it:

A story about some boys who meet a strange little man who is very mysterious (I think he is a substitute schoolteacher). The man teaches them how to build a spaceship out of odds and ends, and then they make the spaceship airtight with a special paint, which seals the spaceship. They go to a strange planet, then when they come back to earth, they crash into the water. Water makes the spaceship dissolve into its component parts (I think the man told them not to get the paint wet). At the end of the story, the strange little man floats off into the sky, he is some kind of spore being.

message 3: by Tom (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Tom Sounds like the Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet.
It's been a long long time since I read it, so I don't recall the water soluble part, but the rest rang a bell.

orangesplot blogged about it awhile back:
http://www.orangesplot.com/2005/08/wo...

message 4: by Kerry (The Roaming Librarian) O'Donnell (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Kerry (The Roaming Librarian) O'Donnell OMG! Did she really?! I loved her books, they were some of my favorites growing up. That's so sad.

message 5: by Vanessa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Vanessa | 10 comments I checked with my husband and he says this is it! Thanks so much - you have made a 45-year-old man very happy.

message 6: by Debi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Debi I hadn't heard that. I am so sorry. I really love her books and just bought "Bright Evening Star" and can't wait to read it. She is going to be missed!

message 7: by Jen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

Jen Someone asked me a few days ago if Harry Potter is the best fantasy I'd ever read. I answered, "No" and cited Madeliene L'Engle. She got so many of us hooked on reading. I'm so sad to hear this news.

message 8: by Tani (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Tani She was my favorite author for a long time when I was a kid. The world really seems like an emptier place without her in it.

message 9: by Ellis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Ellis Madeleine L'Engle meant the world to me! Isn't that incredible how an author--someone you don't even know--can have such an impact on you and your life? I have read "A Wrinkle in Time" at least once a year since I was in fifth grade. It is my all time favorite book if only because it launched in me a love of reading and writing.

Beyond her fiction writing are her "Crosswicks Journals" which give intimate insight into her life.

And although I am no longer a Christian, I have to say that "Walking on Water" remains dear to my heart.

She was an amazing woman who will be dearly missed.