European Royalty discussion

Other Discussions > Movie Rec's

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I thought it would be fun to post Historical movie recommendations here!

Whatever you've seen is fine! Everything from The Other Boleyn Girl to, well...
I know I'm not the only geek who occasionally checks a PBS production out from the library, lol!

So tell us what you've seen and how you liked it - so I can continue to get my geek on :)

message 2: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments Okay - I have a few!

Recently I borrowed The Madness of King Henry VIII from my library. I had heard it was based on the theory that Henry sustained a brain injury during that jousting accident that left him unconscious for several hours - the one that supposedly caused Anne Boleyn's last miscarriage.
Anyway - that's NOT what it was about - it was just about his general mental decline. It was pretty good, though, and I LOVED the majority of the actors they got to play the parts - especially Henry.
It was a National Geographic movie. Here's a link to the page http://channel.nationalgeographic.com...

I also borrowed The Six Wives of Henry VIII from my library a few months ago. I really enjoyed it, as well.

I'll watch anything about the Tudors...despite the fact that I already know it all. I don't know why I keep it up. My poor husband is so sweet, he sits and listens to me go on and on during the movies - tell him things before they get to that part...I must be the most annoying wife EVER.

Oh - last one!
I found To Kill a King for $6 (on BluRay!) at Best Buy one day and HAD to buy it.
It's the story of Oliver Cromwell and General Fairfax and how they overthrew king Charles I. It's the first time I've heard the story from their POV, and I really enjoyed it. I don't know too much about Charles I - I know much more about Charles II - but this made me want to learn more. I would definitely recommend it!
The IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0302436/

message 3: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Lol about your husband comment! I can relate to some degree (he normally won't sit and watch historical stuff with me, so I don't usually have the chance!). Something recently came on tv though and I started rattling on and on (oh god, I wish I could remember the topic! OH! It was something about William the Conqueror and a lot of the Normans originally being descended from Scandinavians even though William came in from Normandy - his eyes totally glazed over because it had very little to do with the show). Anyway, a day or two later, he asked me how I could possibility know all of that stuff - apparently he thought I was a little crazy so decided to look it up himself!

I also have a deck of playing cards with all the kings and queens of england, and one time I was looking through them and trying to tell him about them (while holding up the card to his face). Lol, I have to rank up there as pretty annoying too! Thank goodness for this group! :)

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments Sara - where did you get your cards??? I WANT SOME!
LOL

I guess I really am the only geek checking BBC documentaries out from the library! LOL

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 17 comments Some of my favourite historical films:

Stealing Heaven -- about Heloise and Abelard, smart, intense, and whew, when they're in bed...

Dangerous Beauty -- about Veronica Franco, with Rufus Sewell and Catherine McCormick. Gorgeous costuming.

Dangerous Liaisons -- The one with John Malkovich and Glenn Close - I love this film.

Onegin -- with Ralph Fiennes and Liv Tyler, in an adaptation of Pushkin's poetic novel.

message 6: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Haven't seen the others, but I loved Dangerous Liasions :-).

message 7: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 85 comments I remember when I was in high school (Reagan was president) there was a PBS series called "The Fall of Eagles". It was a drama based the dynastic sagas of the Habsburgs, Hohenzollerns and Romanovs up until WWI.

I remember my history teacher played us the episode about the murder suicide of Crown Prince Rudolph and Marie Vetsera. We all gasped when the courtiers wanted to keep Marie Vetsera's involvement a secret, they wanted to sneak her body out of the hunting lodge, but she was too stiff to sit upright in the carriage, so they were going to smash her body in half with an axe.

message 8: by Manuel (last edited Apr 16, 2011 02:51PM) (new)

Manuel | 85 comments I loved the Three Musketeers movies from the 70's. The ones with Michael York and Raquel Welch. It showed a wonderful portrayal of the court of Louis XIII and Cardinal Richelieu.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 17 comments Manuel wrote: "I remember when I was in high school (Reagan was president) there was a PBS series called "The Fall of Eagles". It was a drama based the dynastic sagas of the Habsburgs, Hohenzollerns and Romanovs ..."

I have that series on disc, but -still- haven't seen it yet. I need a long weekend LOL.

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 17 comments Manuel wrote: "I loved the Three Musketeers movies from the 70's. The ones with Michael York and Rachel Welch. It showed a wonderful portrayal of the court of Louis XIII and Cardinal Richelieu."

Hands down, those two films are the best of the lot. I loved the stunt and sword work in those films, and the costumes -- exactly right for the period. Faye Dunaway was chilling as Milady.

PaNdORa   (gökçe) (pandora-m) | 11 comments APOCALYPTO
AMİSTAD
COLD MOUNTAİN

PaNdORa   (gökçe) (pandora-m) | 11 comments WHAT İS THE İMPORTANCE OF THESE LİFE?I HAVENT READ İT

message 13: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Mandy wrote: "Sara - where did you get your cards??? I WANT SOME!
LOL

I guess I really am the only geek checking BBC documentaries out from the library! LOL"

My in-laws bought them in London, but I would imagine some website would sell them.

message 14: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 85 comments Loved your comments Mandy and Sara about trying to involve your husbands in the love of history.

LOL
I used to think I could impress people by being able to recite all the British Kings from William the Conqueror to the present. Most people were too polite to tell me they couldn't care less.....Now Im a little more selective when and who I talk about history.

message 15: by Melisende (new)

Melisende | 31 comments I have a whole list of movies (old and new) based on historical women - let me know if you'd like a copy.

Next task - the men!

message 16: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments Melisande - you should post your list! I'd love to see it :)

message 17: by Melisende (new)

Melisende | 31 comments Here's a link to the list - let me know if it doesn't work or you can't access it (its thru google docs)

Historic Women in Film
https://docs.google.com/document/edit...

message 18: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 61 comments OK, doesn't REALLY have any famous european royalty, but I did see a rather bgood film at the weekend called Cracks. It has Eva Green in it and its about how this Spanish Nobel born girl shakes the status quo in an idealic little boarding school with tragic consequences

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) How about "the duchess" with Keira knightley?

message 20: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 14 comments Glad you revived this thread Jen. otherwise I would not have seen it! Nice to see all the recommendations! The Duchess is probably a more recent movie involving ER. I loved it and highly recommend it too! The costumes and scenery were amazing!
The story line was very interesting and sad! It should remind modern women to be grateful for the progress we have made.

message 21: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 61 comments Not really royalty, but does give an insite into the upper classes. Look out for a TV mini series called Downton Abbey. Really good show!

Its set between when the titanic sank and the outbreak of world war 1.

Its all based in a stately home

message 22: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 6 comments It will open in NY and LA next week, then expand. "The King's Speech" concerns the very reluctant King George VI, the current Queen's father. He suffered from a debilitating stutter and was expected to speak for the naton as they entered WWII and radio was in its infancy. The movie concerns the speech therapy and the friendship that develops between George VI and his unconventional Australian speech therapist.
I know it may not sound like much but all word of mouth has it as a serious Oscar contender, with Colin Firth as George VI) as the frontrunner for Best Actor. Expect to see trailers soon.

message 23: by Peter (new)

Peter Conradi | 5 comments The film is indeed a very good one. I have already seen it twice. There is also a book that tells the true story of the events behind the film, entitled The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy by Mark Logue and Peter Conradi, which is also out this week. I must declare an interest here: I'm Peter Conradi, a British journalist, while Mark, my co-author, is the grandson of Lionel Logue, the speech therapist. I'm a great fan of this European Royalty group and I would love to draw the attention of you all to the book. If you want to know more about it, you can see the book's website, www.the-kings-speech.com. You can, of course, buy it through Amazon and all the usual on-line channels. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them.

message 24: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 6 comments Peter,

I've been looking forward to the movie since the word of mouth at Telluride started. I heard that the film's director and writer were able to access Lionel Logue's papers and diaries just weeks before filming began and that they incorporated some dialogue that came from this source. Does the movie really depict events accurately or at least truthful to the spirit of what occured? I heard the book was coming out and I'll be heading over to Amazon.com now ;-)

message 25: by Peter (new)

Peter Conradi | 5 comments Well, the film makers made contact, fairly late in the day with Lionel Logue's grandson, Mark, who was able to supply them with his grandfather's diary and various other documents. On the basis of that, they modified the script and included some quotes. Mark then took that material and lots of other documents, including some priceless hand-written letters from the King and the Queen (or Queen Mother as she became) that he found in the attics of various relatives, and he and I then used it as the basis for the book. As for the film, it necessarily has to compress the action - after all Logue knew the King for 25 years - but it is fairly truthful to the spirit of what occurred, even though the letters I have seen suggest that the real Logue was rather more deferential to the King than Geoffrey Rush is to Colin Firth. But do go and see the film when it comes out, it's very entertaining - after reading the book, of course!

message 26: by Peter (new)

Peter Conradi | 5 comments Kathleen wrote: "Peter,

I've been looking forward to the movie since the word of mouth at Telluride started. I heard that the film's director and writer were able to access Lionel Logue's papers and diaries jus..."

Well, the film makers made contact, fairly late in the day with Lionel Logue's grandson, Mark, who was able to supply them with his grandfather's diary and various other documents. On the basis of that, they modified the script and included some quotes. Mark then took that material and lots of other documents, including some priceless hand-written letters from the King and the Queen (or Queen Mother as she became) that he found in the attics of various relatives, and he and I then used it as the basis for the book. As for the film, it necessarily has to compress the action - after all Logue knew the King for 25 years - but it is fairly truthful to the spirit of what occurred, even though the letters I have seen suggest that the real Logue was rather more deferential to the King than Geoffrey Rush is to Colin Firth. But do go and see the film when it comes out, it's very entertaining - after reading the book, of course!

message 27: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 6 comments Of course!

message 28: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) | 29 comments http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0270480/
I just watched "Mad Love" about Queen Juana of Spain. I enjoyed this because I loved CW Gortner's The Last Queen. It's a Spanish film. I got it from Netflix.

message 29: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 61 comments I loved The Last queen.

message 30: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) | 29 comments http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110963/
I just watched another foreign film about Queen Margot. This was an interesting take on it. Not the best acting, but worth the watch.

message 31: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 61 comments ANy one watched Lady Jane with Helena BOhnam Carter?

message 32: by Rio (Lynne) (new)

Rio (Lynne) | 29 comments Gem H aka *Dhelirious* wrote: "ANy one watched Lady Jane with Helena BOhnam Carter?"

I did. I liked it. They did the spin where they were in love.

message 33: by Claire (new)

Claire Naden | 5 comments I am looking forward to seeing the King's Speech and agree that this film is definitely an Oscar contender by all the pre-Oscar buzz! Cannot wait to see it!

message 34: by Claire (new)

Claire Naden | 5 comments Mandy wrote: "I thought it would be fun to post Historical movie recommendations here!

Whatever you've seen is fine! Everything from The Other Boleyn Girl to, well...
I know I'm not the only geek who occasio..."

message 35: by Claire (new)

Claire Naden | 5 comments I loved The Other Boleyn Girl and bought the DVD for my collection.

message 36: by Claire (new)

Claire Naden | 5 comments Rebecca wrote: "Some of my favourite historical films:

Stealing Heaven -- about Heloise and Abelard, smart, intense, and whew, when they're in bed...

Dangerous Beauty -- about Veronica Franco, with Rufus Sewell ..."

message 37: by Claire (new)

Claire Naden | 5 comments I really enjoyed both Dangerous Beauty and Dangerous Liasons but do not recall Stealing Heaven or Onegin.

message 38: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 61 comments OOh Dangerous Beauty is my guilty pleasure. I love that film!!!!

Slightly off topic but does deal with the aristocracy. "Gosford Park" I love that film!!!!

message 39: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Peter wrote: "Well, the film makers made contact, fairly late in the day with Lionel Logue's grandson, Mark, who was able to supply them with his grandfather's diary and various other documents. On the basis of ..."

Thanks for the insight into the movie and book Peter! Someone involved with the movie (I think the movie - maybe director?) was on NPR a week or two ago talking about the movie. It seems very interesting (as does the book).

message 40: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 61 comments Any one who has yet to see it, Go and see the Kings Speech. Its brilliant!

message 41: by Krystal (last edited Apr 16, 2011 02:30PM) (new)

Krystal (queenravenclaw) | 21 comments I just have to say that Marie Antoniette by Sophia Capella was the worst I've ever seen the one with Kristen Dunst. It was terrible. I would love to see this one series made into a movie. I would love to see what they could do with Josephine B. Trilogy by Sandra Gulland by Sandra Gulland Sandra Gulland. Now that would make an excellent movie. I have to admit that TOBG is my guility pleasure. I can watch it a thousand times and not be bored. They should make more of Gregory's books into movies. But seriously Marie Antoniette is terrible anyone agree?

message 42: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (oyastorm77) The Last of the Mohicana(Daniel Day-Lewis), The Girl With the Pearl Earring, Alex Haley's Queen, Victoria and Albert(Zooey Deschanel), Wuthering Heights(Ralph Fiennes), The King's Speech, Elizabeth I, Braveheart