eReader discussion

New to Sony ... help?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Tolson (detolson) | 2 comments (This is a cross posts)

I just bought a Sony eBook reader- Touch Edition . I am not new to ebooks. I started with a Kindle, gave it to a friend, and have been using a Nook for the last 4 months. Last week the Nook died and B&N won't replace, so I thought I'd get away from the opression of the "big two" mega bookstores and try the Sony.

To learn how to use it I bought one 99 cent book from Sony. I really like the touch screen. I assume I will get used to downloading books via my computer (which is always around) rather than 'through the air' as was done with Kindle and Nook.

My question(s)- are most titles available for the Sony, where is the best place to get contemporary fiction? I read 40-50 books a year and am addicted to the ebook format.

With the touch screen, should I get some type of plastic protector on the screen like on my iPhone? any advice there?

Lastly, can I read books I buy for my Sony at the same time on my iPhone (I could do this with the Nook, though the pages didn't synch)? Sometimes it is nice to read a few pages while waiting in a line or pretend to be getting email in a meeting then catch up on a novel :) NO, I don't read at the movies....

Thanks

message 2: by Adam (new)

Adam (adamruger) | 13 comments I also have the Touch Edition and don't often buy books but when I do I will use Sony's Reader Store, Kobo Books or Books on Board. To find the best prices use a site like Inkmesh and it will give the prices across various ebook stores. Also, check your local library as they carry a lot of current fiction and best of all they are free. No need to visit the library as the ebooks can be downloaded from your home computer.

My Sony Reader is always in a case and have never used a screen protector on my current 600 or my previous 505. The screens are pretty durable and I've never have never broken mine but accidents do happen.

Sony does not have an app for blackberry, android or iphone so you cannot sync a book between multiple devices. I do occasionaly read on my android phone but they are different books than what I keep on my Reader. I typically get free/cheap books from feedbooks or smashwords to read on my phone.

message 3: by David (new)

David Tolson (detolson) | 2 comments Thanks. Great answer

message 4: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull Along the same topic - does anyone know if you can buy ebooks from Barnes & Noble or Borders that are compatible with Sony? (I think they sell e-pub format books, I just wasn't sure if you can do this)

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam (adamruger) | 13 comments Sony Readers can read books purchased from Borders but not B&N. B&N uses a different DRM scheme that is not compatible with Sony.

message 6: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull grooks wrote: "Sony Readers can read books purchased from Borders but not B&N. B&N uses a different DRM scheme that is not compatible with Sony."

Thanks. I realized that after I put up this post. I realized that Borders is one of the stores that sells them. :)

message 7: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 19 comments Connie wrote: "Along the same topic - does anyone know if you can buy ebooks from Barnes & Noble or Borders that are compatible with Sony? (I think they sell e-pub format books, I just wasn't sure if you can do ..."

Borders ePub are compatible with Sony Readers. B&N use a different DRM on their ePub. So to get them onto a Sony Reader, you would first have to strip the DRM.

message 8: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 19 comments One place I use a lot to get eBooks these days is the LIBRARY. I have access to six different libraries.

message 9: by Adam (new)

Adam (adamruger) | 13 comments I have 5 library cards and about 90% of my reading are ebooks from the library.

message 10: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 19 comments Eventually, I'll have 7 library cards. Just have to find the time to go to the library to register for #7.

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) I don't understand multiple library cards - how do you do this?

message 12: by mookie (new)

mookie kong (ultramookie) | 1 comments i have two different library systems around me (san jose and santa clara) and have a library card for each.

message 13: by Adam (new)

Adam (adamruger) | 13 comments Chicago burbs (where I live)
different Chicago burb (girlfriend's sister)
Chicago Public (reciprocal lending with the burbs)
Philadelphia (paid $15)
San Diego (borrowed from friend)

message 14: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 19 comments I have some that allow outside borrowers. That's 2. I have 1 that a friend is letting me use. I have 3 that are local and eventually, I'll be getting another local library card. So there you have it.

message 15: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull Our library system is a suburban cooperative, so if you are a member of 1 library you can use all the others. However, the ebooks are only available through the Midwest Collaborative. Which I think most of the libraries in our Suburban Cooperative are a part of (at least my city's library system is). I don't think there are many libraries here that have their own ebook selection, they just pay to be a part of the Midwest Collaborative.

message 16: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 19 comments It helps to have a library that's willing to fill requests for eBooks. I find some libraries get too many romance eBooks.

message 17: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull I wonder if there is a place to email them a request. Maybe that's why they got Girl in Translation and they offered The Strain about the same day the 2nd book came out. I'll have to check.

Actually, the Midwest Collarborative is very good (I think since it services about 20-25 libraries throughout Michigan & Indiana). They get most of the new bestsellers and they've done a great job with getting older books released as ebooks as well. I think they have all of Stephen King, James Patterson and now John Grisham. They do have a lot of romance, but I think over the last year, they've done a great job. They seem to be getting most of the new books that are being talked about within a week or two of their release date. Some times it takes maybe a month or two before they get a book after its release. I was looking for Girl in Translation about 2 months ago, and they just got it in last week. I'm still waiting for Jonathan Franzen's Freedom to be released however, since I refuse to pay more than $9.99 for a new ebook.

message 18: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 19 comments I don't think you'll find Freedom in eBook from your library. It's not available from Overdrive that I can see other then ePub for the UK.

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) interesting info - thanks - my library in Carson City is glad to get books and audiobooks from all over rural Nevada, but not Washoe County (Reno/Sparks) or Clark (Las Vegas) - I'll have to look into what the e-book policy is - thanks for the heads-up on that!

message 20: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 19 comments Good luck with your library and eBooks.

One thing you can do is join the Free Library of Philadelphia for $15 for a year. They have a pretty good collection.

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) Subscribe to a library, hmm... that sounds like a really neat idea. Tx for the suggestion!

message 22: by JSWolf (last edited Oct 31, 2010 06:28AM) (new)

JSWolf | 19 comments It is. take a look at their collection and you'll see it is a good value.

http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com

message 23: by Connie (new)

Connie Faull JSWolf wrote: "It is. take a look at their collection and you'll see it is a good value.

http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com"

thanks for this information. I'm searching their database now and they have several of the books I am looking for that my library doesn't have. I may do this. thanks.

message 24: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 19 comments Connie wrote: "JSWolf wrote: "It is. take a look at their collection and you'll see it is a good value.

http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com"

thanks for this information. I'm searching their database now a..."

It's only $15 for a year. Very much worth it. Have you started the joining process yet?