tbr-reading-challenge discussion

My 6 books

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cath (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

Cath Russell | 8 comments Hi! Thanks for inviting me to join this challenge. I'm going to do as Kiwiria has done and have my 6 months from July to December, purely because it's an easier way to split up the year. So, my list is:

July - I read Magyk by Angie Sage
August - I read Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson
September - The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
October - To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
November - The First Casualty by Ben Elton
December - A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes.

That's the plan anyway. Good luck to everyone else. :-)

message 2: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) | 123 comments Mod
Welcome! Glad to have you here :)

I read "The Historian" last year - will be interested to see what you think of it.

message 3: by Suvi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Suvi (orpheusbooks) Loved The Historian, I'm very interested in the historical Dracula. Hope you like it.

And you picked David Copperfield for December, too :)

message 4: by Cath (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Cath Russell | 8 comments Hi Kiwiria! I think I'm probably going to read The Historian next, when I've finished the book I'm reading now. I read Dracula in preparation for it too. Can't wait.

Hi Suvi. I really think I'm going to like The Historian a lot. Yes, I picked David Copperfield for December as I'm reading it for a challenge which finishes on the 31st December, so I thought December was a good month for Dickens. I read it when I was a teenager so it'll be interesting to see how I like it now I'm (MUCH) older.

message 5: by Cath (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:07PM) (new)

Cath Russell | 8 comments Well, I finished The Historian and absolutely loved it. So I completed my book for September. I'm not going to finish the one for October though because I really don't like the book I chose - To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. Can't get along with her rambling style. I suspect you either love or hate this author. A shame as I really wanted to love her writing.

message 6: by Bibliosaurus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Bibliosaurus | 3 comments You should try The Voyage Out. It is her first novel and therefore more linear and less rambling.

message 7: by Cath (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:08PM) (new)

Cath Russell | 8 comments I've decided to persevere and see if I can get to the end of To the Lighthouse. But, yes, I'll try The Voyage Out too, Bibliosaurus. I read about that somewhere and it sounded good.

message 8: by Lua (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:11PM) (new)

Lua Could we start a new Historian post? Would that be out of the TBR question? I loved the book but a friend of mine took issue what the end and I am curious about what other readers think.

message 9: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:13PM) (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) | 123 comments Mod
Sure, go for it! This group is to post our lists, encourage each other in our readings and discussing the books we read, so it would definitely be in the spirit of the group :)

message 10: by Cath (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Cath Russell | 8 comments I did it! I finished To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. Still trying to make up my mind whether I liked it or not but at least I finished my October book challenge.

message 11: by Bibliosaurus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Bibliosaurus | 3 comments Congratulations! Glad to hear you stuck with it.

message 12: by Cath (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Cath Russell | 8 comments I read my book for November a couple of weeks ago. It was The First Casualty by Ben Elton. It's a crime book set in the trenches of World War One and was absolutely brilliant. I wish he would write more like this.

I'll be changing my book for December. I have David Copperfield on my list but will choose again as I'm certain I won't have time to read it. Hopefully, I'll get to that and a couple of other Dickens' classics in 2008.

message 13: by Cath (new)

Cath Russell | 8 comments Getting around to posting a new list at last. I did actually read all of the six I chose for the last six months, so am quite pleased about that. This is my list for January to June in no order because I don't know what I'll feel like reading at any particular time.

The Whale Road - Robert Low (curr. read)
True North - George Erickson
Needle in the Blood - Sarah Bower
The Warden - Anthony Trollope
Over Sea Under Stone - Susan Cooper
Dark Fire - C.J. Sansom

message 14: by Laura (booksnob) (new)

Laura (booksnob) | 3 comments OK, I am new to the group and am writing my master's thesis this year but I still want to keep up reading "enjoyable" books. I chose some easy reads, I hope, and a couple of short story books to help me make it through all that required reading I have to do. Hopefully, I can accomplish this goal of 1 book a month. I have listed them in no particular order depending on my homework and free time.

A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain by Robert Olen Butler
Doctor Illuminatus by Martin Booth
A Good Man is Hard to Find and other stories by Flannery O'Connor
The Miracles of Santo Fico by D.L. Smith
Eldest by Christopher Paolini
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini