Vermont discussion

Vermont Book Stores

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

Helen L | 3 comments Hello fellow Vermonters~
Any favorites out there? I am fond of Annie's in Rutland and Northshire in Manchester.

message 2: by Bethany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Bethany | 1 comments I enjoy The Flying Pig in Shelburne - It is a locally owned independent book store.

message 3: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Rob (founddrama) | 5 comments Mod
Rivendell in Montpelier and The Crow here in Burlington.

message 4: by Helen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Helen L | 3 comments I've not been to The Flying Pig. I'll have to watch for it. Thanks!
Peace............

message 5: by Underwater (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

Underwater | 1 comments It's a sad thing, both my favorites have died in the past two years (Dearleap Books in Bristol for new books, The Alley Bookstore in Middlebury). I am very fond of The Crow.

message 6: by Marissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Marissa Barbieri | 1 comments Ditto to Rob!

Rivendell is by far the finest central Vermont has to offer, and I'm not just saying that because I've worked there for 4 years. :)

message 7: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah | 1 comments I greatly miss Chassmem and Bem and North Country Books in Burlington. I have to dd my vote to Rivendell. I used to spend all my lunch hours there. Bear Pond Books is also a pleasure to browse in. I also enjoy the book selection at the Peace and Justice store on Church Street.

message 8: by Ross (last edited Oct 10, 2009 11:40AM) (new)

Ross (rosstavich) | 1 comments Underwater wrote: "It's a sad thing, both my favorites have died in the past two years (Dearleap Books in Bristol for new books, The Alley Bookstore in Middlebury). I am very fond of The Crow."

Yeah, I'm from Bristol and I always loved Dearleap Books. It was small, but amazing.

Monroe Street Books just north of Middlebury has a good selection. It is a rare and used books place. A bit pricey at times, but still a decent shop.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 1 comments Keep your eyes peeled (awful expression!) for a new bookstore in Bristol. Should be opening around September.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy (amosthemouse) | 3 comments Yay! I love new bookstores. I think Vergennes needs a bookstore. I loved Deerleap and Alley Beat--I liked their record selection. I agree that Monroe Street can be a bit pricey. Otter Creek Used Books has a nice selection of Vermont authors and Vermont related books.

Does anyone know a good place to sell used books?

message 11: by D (new)

D | 1 comments Where is Rivendell ?? Not very familiar with Montpelier, not often over there but have wandered thru Bear Pond Books. I remember Chassmen & Bem. There's a small one on the main street of Johnson, the name escapes now but intriguing. I sold stuff to Eloquent
Page in St Albans - call before going & see if they are interested.

message 12: by Jaye (new)

Jaye this is a bookstore i really like:

1.)New Englandiana

121 Benmont Ave Bennington,VT 05201

2.)Northshire in Manchester is a wonderful place.

3.)this one is new, i haven't been here yet:

http://oldbenningtonbooks.com/blog1.php

message 13: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 4 comments For used books, have you tried The Brick House north of Stowe near Morrisville and Stagecoach Road? The lady who runs it has a fun collection and seems to much appreciate the business.

There is another really good used book store in a town over near Goddard College. We hit both of these one lovely day last summer with high tea in between at Perennial Pleasures Nursery in East Hardwick.

message 14: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (rahlbert) Dearleap is gone? That makes me sad. :( Other than that one I can't think of any others besides the Crow here in Burlington. The only other ones I visit are Borders on Church (and the UMall), and Barnes and Nobles.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanhafb) | 2 comments I love The Book Garden in Montpelier (Rivendale is great too, now with a location at the Berlin Mall) and Next Chapter Bookstore in Barre (stop in to Maureen's Sweet Treats for cupcakes, bagels, and coffee right next door, they're connected!). They have a great story time for kids Saturday mornings at 10:30, and Katherine Paterson was there for a reading this week. They have a cute little treehouse nook for the kiddos to sit and read while waiting as well as a train table and toys/craft sets for sale. It's a one stop shop for families and birthdays. I can't say enough about this fabulous new store :)

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elzrc) | 3 comments Burlington's readers are enjoying a strong fight to survive by Crow and Phoenix. Sad to lose Ed, at Crow, but the selection remains solid. I can pull things off the shelf with total confidence.

message 17: by Lily (last edited Nov 11, 2015 03:03PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 4 comments Helen wrote: "Hello fellow Vermonters~
Any favorites out there? I am fond of Annie's in Rutland and Northshire in Manchester.
"

Visiting friends in southern Vermont this weekend. Had the pleasure of visiting the Manchester Northshire. Wish we had such a bookstore near my more usual stamping grounds. It was fun to browse among "real" books for a few hours.

But, unfortunately even Northshire didn't expect the size of the demand for Elena Ferrante's books this holiday weekend, as tourists poured through.

message 18: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jennale) Anyone else love the Norwich Bookstore (in Norwich)? I live on the border of VT and NH, and this is my favorite bookstore in my area. Given that it's independently owned, I'm always astonished by their huge selection of art books, and of children's books. And their upstairs section feels like such a peaceful reading nook. They also have great relationships with local writers (and I like that they stock both of my poetry books :-)).