Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > UK Scientist says drinking dulls arthritis pain

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Reporting on the results of his 2000-patient, double-blind study of rheumatoid arthritis, Dr. James Maxwell of the University of Sheffield concluded:

"We found that patients who had drunk alcohol most frequently had symptoms that were less severe than those who had never drunk alcohol or only drunk it infrequently."

Full story at BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-1077...

Modern medicine!

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Just arthritis pain? Heh. I'm a little tired today, maybe I'll have a beer...

message 3: by Jonathan (last edited Jul 28, 2010 10:38AM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I believe Maxwell is set to publish his results in the august and revered Journal of Obvious Discoveries.

Other articles in this month's issue include:

"Whacking Thumb With Hammer Hurts Like Heck"

"The Pope is Catholic"

"Narcotic-induced Coma Leads to Decline in Worker Productivity"

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Jonathan wrote: "I believe Maxwell is set to publish his results in the august and revered Journal of Obvious Discoveries.

Other articles in this month's issue include:

"Whacking Thumb With Hammer Hurts Like Hec..."

Cute.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Next up: Scientists discover sleeping a possible cure for drowsiness. News at eleven...

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments My great aunt Minnie had bad arthritis in her early 80s. She came upon the gin-soaked raisin remedy, which goes as follows:
Take some golden raisins
Place the raisins in a shallow container.
Cover the raisins with gin.
Let the raisins soak in the gin for a few weeks until the gin evaporates.
Eat nine raisins a day to help your arthritis.

She lived to 92 and didn't have arthritis pain again.

Of course, we joked that the trick with this remedy was:
Take some golden raisins.
Put them in a shallow container.
Cover them in gin.
Take a big swig of gin...
etc...
she didn't deny it.

message 7: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Wait...You mean it was the gin and not the raisins that cured her?

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Wasn't that the title of the thread?

message 9: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments You're right! Dr. Maxwell's prescription is making me forgetful...

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

My Grandmother always had prunes soaked in gin daily. It seemed to work for her. She was always a happy old thing. :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 28, 2010 05:22PM) (new)

Misha wrote: "My feet hurt today. Maybe I'll buy some gin on the way home from work."

Don't forget the tonic & some fresh limes golden raisins. :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

But Misha, you lose the beneficial qualities of the alcohol in the cooking process!!!!!

message 13: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I love Tequila in the morning and in the afternoon, I love it in the evening and in the month of June! 8)

message 14: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24317 comments Mod
This seems like kind of a dangerous article, because alcohol doesn't mix at all with certain rheumatoid arthritis medications. Maybe people with RA who aren't having it treated by a doctor at all can load up on the booze, though...

message 15: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I saw at the bottom of the article, naturally, a note that many RA patients on immunosuppressant medication should not drink alcohol regularly because it greatly increases the chance of damaging their livers, which is already one of the biggest concerns of taking that medication.

message 16: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Cosmic Sher wrote: "I love Tequila in the morning and in the afternoon, I love it in the evening and in the month of June! 8)"

Don't know why, but tequila is one drink I could just never get behind. The taste I guess.

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments The liver complications are an important point, LobsterGirl and Sher.

Alcohol, come to think of it, would also be a problem for people taking common over-the-counter pain relievers like Tylenol or Advil. The labels on both of those warn about bad interactions with alcohol, including possible liver damage.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Clark wrote: "Cosmic Sher wrote: "I love Tequila in the morning and in the afternoon, I love it in the evening and in the month of June! 8)"

Don't know why, but tequila is one drink I could just never get beh..."

I can't drink tequila, either. I can't even smell it or I'll barf. Some bad experiences as a teenager have ruined the agave for me forever...

message 19: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) Gail "cyborg" wrote: "My Grandmother always had prunes soaked in gin daily. It seemed to work for her. She was always a happy old thing. :)"

Ice cubes soaked in gin can make me happy. Now I can call it "medicine".

message 20: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments "Ice cubes soaked in gin." That's a good one.