Goodtunes discussion

Music Genres > Christmas Music

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Yeah, it's a little soon to be thinking about Christmas music, but do you have any favorite songs or albums?

My all-time favorites are:

We Three Kings by The Roches (three sisters = beautiful harmony, and they do weird things with their voices so all the songs are fresh)

Noel by Joan Baez (old carols, sung some in German and French, a haunting version of "O Come Emmanuel")

All On a Wintry Night by Judy Collins (I listen to some of these songs all year long, especially "Song for Sarajevo" and "The Cherry Tree Carol," which tells the story about Christ's conception, birth, and foreseen death.)

Christmas by Bruce Cockburn (OMG. I can't tell you how much I adore this album. He does a spooky, bloody version of "Down in Yon Forest"; and a rocking version of "Mary Had a Baby." Listen to this one if you enjoy Christmas music!)

Christmas Time with the Judds (Don't laugh; this is a great one. The mother/daughter harmonies are fantastic, especially on "O Holy Night." Wynonna's soaring voice at the "fall on your knees" part gets me every time.)

Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra (So smooth and cool! All songs are fabulous and takes me back to a nostalgic time before I was even born. :-))

I've got dozens more favorites, but can't think of them right now. What are your favorites?

message 2: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Time Life has a double CD of all the most popular Christmas carols. I love it :)

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) I like Carol of the Bells and Silent Night for certain I'll have to think about others.

message 4: by Auntee (new)

Auntee | 30 comments "Please Come Home For Christmas" by Don Henley.
And I love "Oh Holy Night".

message 5: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Love the Don Henley song. Love almost every version of "O Holy Night."

OK. As much as I love Stevie Nicks, she has a version of "Silent Night" and she sounds like a wounded billy goat.

"Jingle Bell Rock" by Brenda Lee reminds me of my mom. The song was out when she was a teen.

Can't stand The Beach Boys Christmas songs, especially "Little Saint Nick." I want to slap the nearest mall Santa when I hear that song.

message 6: by Auntee (new)

Auntee | 30 comments LOL about Stevie Nicks!! I think I've heard that version and I agree!

I hate "Little Saint Nick" too.:)

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Cover your ears. Here's Stevie singing SN live and it's worse than the recording. Don't cover your eyes though 'cause she's still a beauty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sPQ8q...

Oh, whatever you do, try to hear some samples of Bob Dylan's Christmas CD! I love Dylan to death and find comfort in his voice and songwriting, but I can't believe his Xmas album isn't some joke on us all.

message 8: by Auntee (new)

Auntee | 30 comments Oh boy. There were parts where she sounded like she was under water!:)

I agree she looks great. Love her in Fleetwood Mac.

Bob Dylan's voice is an acquired taste. Sometimes I feel like hearing it and other times...it just makes me laugh! Sort of how I feel about Willie Nelson.

message 9: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Bob Dylan's voice is refreshing to me. Weird, huh? I guess I like the realness of it compared to the slickness of artists these days. I can't stand manufactured voices.

I like Willie but he does get a little whiny and nasally.

message 10: by Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (last edited Jul 29, 2010 01:36AM) (new)

Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (httpsrakesandrascalswordpresscom) I just love 'White Christmas' by Bing Crosby which for me is the ultimate Christmas song. Also love 'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas'by Judy Garland from the film "Meet Me St Louis" - it's so poignant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g4lY8...

message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I read where "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" was supposed to be more of a downer tune, but some verses were taken out to make it more upbeat. It is a beautiful song, and I enjoy Garland's version out of everyone I've ever heard.

Worst Christmas song ever? Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time." The whole song is him singing "simply having a wonderful Christmas time."

I've always enjoyed The Carpenters' "Home for the Holidays."

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Tressa wrote: "I read where "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" was supposed to be more of a downer tune, but some verses were taken out to make it more upbeat. It is a beautiful song, and I enjoy Garland's ..."

Wonderful Christmas Time is one of those songs that gets stuck in my head and drives me insane. I'd like to put something equally annoying in his sometime.

message 13: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I tolerated McCartney up until he made that stupid, uncalled-for comment about George Bush not knowing what a library is. Sigh. I wish celebrities would keep their pie holes shut.

His songwriting skills in later years leave something to be desired. Even when I hear some of his Wings songs I'm like, "Huh? What the hay is he singing about?"

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) I'm betting John Lennon would agree about his songwriting lately.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I love Christmas music. Is it December yet?

My faves:

O Holy Night
Carol of the Bells
Silent Night
The Christmas Song

Off the top of my head.

message 16: by Marco (new)

Marco (marcoreads) | 131 comments phil spector's gift lp. is a must!!!

beach boys 64 and 77 christmas Lp's are a must too.

message 17: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments I don't really get Christmas music. I get annoyed with it after a while, but it's a breath of fresh air when Christmas comes.

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I think people are annoyed now more than ever with Xmas music because they start playing it in November!

message 19: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments Exactly! I wanna hear it for about two weeks. Then I'm good.

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesld) I love "Go Tell It on The Mountain" by Blind Boys of Alabama and "When My Heart Finds Christmas" by Harry Connick, Jr. Has anyone listened to "If on a Winter's Night" by Sting? Although it's not a Christmas album, it has some beautiful winter music. Some reviewers have commented that some songs are depressing, so I just wondered what others thought. I bought it late winter season, so I will be listening to the album soon.

message 21: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) In Hawaii they have Leon day, spelled backwards its Noel and they play all Christmas music. I think Christmas music is supposed to make everyone happy and cheery. but Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas reminds me of Meet Me in St. Louis when Judy Garland sings that and they are supposed to be moving, and little Margaret O'Brien is about to go out and smash the snowpeople to death.

message 22: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) The only Sting Christmas song I've heard is "I Saw Three Ships" and really like it. I just looked up "If on a Winter's Night" on YT and I think I would love this album. I'm going to buy it for my collection.

I've loved Sting since the '70s. He's a little pompous and preachy (and some times doesn't practice what he preaches), but I can easily shrug all that off because I think he's a talented writer and singer. "Fields of Gold" is his most beautiful song and I love to hear different versions of it.

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) The visuals in his video are nice, too.

message 24: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesld) Yes, Sting's songs on "If on a Winter's Night" are haunting but beautiful. This music is meaningful. The songs have Celtic and Medieval overtones. All the songs are beautiful but "Soul Cake" is an interesting piece. Let me know what you think, Tressa.

message 25: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesld) Robin wrote: "The visuals in his video are nice, too."

I enjoy the visuals, as well.

message 26: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I will. Thanks for recommending it! I collect Christmas music and listen to it all year long.

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesld) Hey Tressa,

You might also enjoy Yo-Yo Ma's Christmas album:
"Songs of Joy and Peace." It's a beautiful album. There are lullabies, carols and lovely classical pieces.

Everyone who enjoys listening to Christmas music or classical music would love this album.

Let me know what you think.

message 28: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Thanks, Leslie. I'll give it a try.

message 29: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) The song that makes me sentimental is Merry Christmas Darling, by the Carpenters.

message 30: by Ysen (new)

Ysen | 3 comments I really love anything Elvis and Christmas (he put Blue Christmas on the map, after all...).

I also remember the Bank of America putting out some orchestrated CDs that were really well done. Isn't it funny that on songs that we "know" (like "Good King Wenceslas,"), that we sing the first couple of lines with gusto, then it all fades out, because no one remembers what comes next! LOL! :)

I love "Christmas Boogie!" Not that well known, but a fun song. I know there's a version of it at CDBaby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/janetfisher2

I also love Dean Martin's "Let It Snow!" (Now I feel like I should be wrapping presents...)

message 31: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Not yet, It is only October.

message 32: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) So.

message 33: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) And it is only October. . . it is not even December yet. Why the hurry for Christmas?

message 34: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I listen to Christmas music all year round, whenever the mood strikes me. A lot of Christmas music isn't about Santa, but is beautiful religious folk music originating from different countries.

message 35: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I know, do you keep Christmas lights up all year round as well? It is much more meaningful for me when it is Christmas time to listen, haven't tried listening to it now, for example. Maybe will try it.

message 36: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Uh, no. We take all Christmas decorations down so as not to offend our neighbors with such tackiness. A CD I can listen to in the privacy of my home. Christmas music does not lose its effectiveness just because it's not cold outside. It's beautiful music, plain and simple.

message 37: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) okay, Tressa, but don't you want to crank it up to spread the joy around?

message 38: by Robin (last edited Oct 03, 2010 10:41PM) (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Just joking, Tressa. I do realize that Christmas music is supposed to be uplifting and joyful.f That is a nice sentiment to play CM all year round, or when you want to hear such beautiful music. The song by Trisha Yearwood that is nice is Mary did you know. That's such a beautiful song.

message 39: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments Annie Moses' Christmas album is great. It's this Christian family who are prodigies on their insturments and great singers. Their Christmas CD was incredible.
I've been priveleged enough to see them twice.

message 40: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) THat sounds great.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I'm loving the Holiday Traditions station on Sirius/XM satellite radio. I prefer the older Christmas sounds. I don't care much for the newer remakes and the modern Christmas songs.

message 42: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I do like the original artists also, especially Bing and Nat King Cole doing their White Christmas and the Christmas Song respectively.

message 43: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 12 comments I love listening to Christmas music