Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Group Reads and Challenges > August Group Book Discussion: Ashes in the Wind by Kathleen Woodiwiss

Comments Showing 1-50 of 163 (163 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jennefer (new)

Jennefer (jenneferpracticex3) | 444 comments Mod
Well it's probably about time we read a Woodiwiss in this group!!! :) I know this is listed as many romance lovers all time favorite read so I am looking forward to reading it! Hope it delivers!

Ashes in the Wind by Kathleen Woodiwiss 1979
Ashes in the Wind (Troubadour Books) by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss
Average GoodRead rating: 4.04
GoodReads description: Disguised as a boy, lovely Alaina MacGaren flees the Yankee troops ravaging her virginia plantation. When the young orphan is accosted by a group of soldiers, Yankee surgeon Cole Latimer rescues the "lad"--never guessing that love for the rebel beauty will set duty against desire, ultimately testing his loyalties, his trust and his honor.
Availability: This is currently in print and avalable new, also avalable in Kindle format (yay!). Check out Amazon and AbeBooks.

Discussions: What did you think of the authors style/voice? Do you find the author too long winded or did you enjoy her leisurely story telling style? What did you think of the setting/atmosphere of the story? How do characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? What events trigger such changes? What was your favorite scene? At what point in the book did you decide if you liked it or not? What helped make this decision? If you could change something about the book would you? If so what/how?

Please be considerate of others and use 'spoiler spaces' when revealing key plot elements.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 107 comments Yay! Can't wait!! :) It's on my book shelf right now! I'll pick it up soonish

message 3: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments I second the yay! One of my favourites, haven't read it in ages!

message 4: by Karla (new)

Karla | 1668 comments Mod
Huzzah! This will kick me in the butt to finish the Brandewyne so I can be ready for Aug 1st!

message 5: by KimKirt (new)

KimKirt | 20 comments I read this YEARS ago, I should read it again. If I don't I'm still going to read this dicussion to see what you all think. It was one of my favorites written by her.

message 6: by Denise (new)

Denise | 11 comments Just ordered a copy from PBS. Can't wait to start!

message 7: by Misfit (new)

Misfit My, that is some cover. I read this about 2-3 years ago. Won't be able to reread but will follow the discussions. Might be interesting :)

message 8: by Karla (new)

My copy has that annoying BIG FONT/tiny picture contrast.

message 9: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 189 comments I started reading this week to get a head start since I will be going on vacation this month... so far on page 406 and loving it!

message 10: by Karla (new)

Good Lord, 406????? That's more than a head start. :P

message 11: by SmittenKitten (last edited Jul 28, 2010 01:18PM) (new)

SmittenKitten | 189 comments @Karla & @Jeanine

Yeah, I started on Sunday.. :-)

message 12: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (_tonya_) | 0 comments I just saw that this book is 672 pages long! Wow. o_O

message 13: by BRNTerri (new)

BRNTerri | 85 comments I won't be participating in this discussion because I don't have it and don't think I'd like it. Years ago on an authors message board, there was a monthly discussion with this book and most didn't like it.

message 14: by Jennefer (new)

Alphaville wrote: "I won't be participating in this discussion because I don't have it and don't think I'd like it. Years ago on an authors message board, there was a monthly discussion with this book and most didn't..."

I think Woodiwiss is a love her or hate her kind of author. But it seems like those who love her, this is one of their faves, at least it seems that way to me. I have heard lot's of people rave about this book, and lot's of people read it and leave scratching their head as to what the big deal is about.

I don't know if I will get to this one this month but I can't wait to see what everyone thinks of this!

message 15: by April (new)

April yedinak | 1 comments I read this about 15 years ago and I told my Mom, and she remebers reading it when it first came out.

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 107 comments Karla wrote: "My copy has that annoying BIG FONT/tiny picture contrast.
"

That picture is the same one that's on my edition, Karla, but the picture takes up the whole cover. It's beautiful! It's not on goodreads though and I don't have a scanner :(

message 17: by Karla (new)

Amanda, is it this one? Thanks to the person who uploaded it to Amazon!

message 18: by Janice (new)

Janice | 17 comments I also read this book when it first was published. Looking forward to reading it again. Glad it's available for Kindle. This will be the first book I read with all of you as a group.

message 19: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 54 comments Karla wrote: "Amanda, is it this one? Thanks to the person who uploaded it to Amazon!
"

That's the one I have. I'll be in.

message 20: by Riccarla Roman (new)

Riccarla Roman | 19 comments I have this book in hardcover. I bought it at a thrift store for $ . 25. It is a great book.

Riccarla

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 107 comments That's the one Karla! I love it :)

message 22: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 8 comments I think I've read this one three or four times in the last 25 years. Woodiwiss was one of my favorite authors and this one is in my top five faves for her. The others are A Rose in Winter, Shanna, The Flame and the Flower, and The Wolf and the Dove. Her earliest were her best.

message 23: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 27 comments I read this when it first came out and loved it. I agree with IUHoosier...those are my favorite Woodiwiss, too. I read on KEW's website many years ago that Ashes in the Wind was her favorite book that she'd written. I'm looking forward to rereading this again, (it's in my garage, cuz let's face it, I'm the mom with the dusty old books in the garage...lol).

message 24: by Jennefer (new)

Well gosh, I was thinking I might sit this month out but you all are so excited about it I might have to read it with the group after all!

message 25: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 27 comments Is there a time frame that we should have the book finished so that we can all discuss together, or do we just go at our own pace?

message 26: by Karla (new)

Usually it's been a "go at your own pace" since some people can read 100 pages a day and others (like me) take a few days to do that much.

It's sort of a "drop in and discuss during the month" vibe. Very casual!

message 27: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine | 27 comments Karla wrote: "Usually it's been a "go at your own pace" since some people can read 100 pages a day and others (like me) take a few days to do that much.

It's sort of a "drop in and discuss during the month" vi..."

Thanks Karla. That's great news, considering that most of the BR, including this one, are 500+ pages, which require a greater time commitment than current romances.

message 28: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 42 comments Plan to start this one tomorrow. Can't wait!

message 29: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 42 comments okay so I'm a few chapters in so far. Kind of a slow start. I'm assuming it picks up?

message 30: by Karla (new)

Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002" wrote: "okay so I'm a few chapters in so far. Kind of a slow start. I'm assuming it picks up?"

I haven't started yet, but my general experience with others is that more time is taken to set the scene and characters. I'm sure it'll pick up in a chapter or two.

message 31: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments Just started this one last night for the first re-read in years - I'd forgotten how good this one is.

Woodiwiss is my favourite HR author -- I know some think her setups are too long, her prose too purple, but man, that lady put you front row and centre to the world she created.

I love "Al" and the chemistry Woodiwiss creates with him and the "Yankee sawbones", Cole Latimer.

@Dani - hang in there til about chapter 10.

message 32: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments Karla wrote: "My copy has that annoying BIG FONT/tiny picture contrast.
"

Karla, I have this one too -- it matches my covers for these ones:

The Flame and the Flower (Birmingham #1) by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss Shanna by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

if you can believe it, my mom bought the first 2 for me in an airport the summer I was 12, and Shanna I bought after my aunt stole my copy! To be fair, I'd stolen it from her, but still...I was just a kid!

message 33: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 42 comments still plugging away. Finally made it to chapter 4. I'm hanging in there. lol

message 34: by SmittenKitten (new)

SmittenKitten | 189 comments I've only got about 80 pages left (since I started reading it a week ago)... I think this book is amazing, and I found myself laughing out loud a lot during the middle of the story. But I will hold off on commenting about specifics until later in the month. Happy reading!

message 35: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 42 comments I'm doing much better. Nearing 200 today.

message 36: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments I've started book two - which I'd forgotten was there until I started reading the book! Keeps getting better -- can't wait til everyone is finished so we can discuss.

@Dani - glad to see you're still with us! Are you enjoying it more?

message 37: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 42 comments

@Dani - glad to see you're..."

Yes I'm still here - at page 400. Its gotten much better... honestly though, I wish I were enjoying it more. I can't wait til everyone is done so we can discuss it in-depth. At this point I'm reading so I can participate in the discussion because I know its going to be a great one!

message 38: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Jeanine ♥ Cheshire Catt ♠ wrote: "Small Spoiler Warning (if you haven't yet read the first 30 pages or so)********

Okay - who else had no idea whatsoever that Al was a girl? Totally surprised me. This is why I can never figure..."

I like the way she pulls that off, and that Cole doesn't have the usual *forbidden* feelings for the girl in pants. I'm on page 300, but since I've read it about 3-4 years ago I've skimmed a bit.

message 39: by Karla (new)

Misfit wrote: "Jeanine ♥ Cheshire Catt ♠ wrote: "Cole doesn't have the usual *forbidden* feelings for the girl in pants."

That's a nice change! Lady Vixen also didn't keep hashing over that. The Blythe Gifford book I rec'd to you awhile ago DOES however - but I liked the scholar's life atmosphere enough to not be annoyed too much by it.

message 40: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 42 comments Misfit wrote: "Jeanine ♥ Cheshire Catt ♠ wrote: "
I like the way she pulls that off, and that Cole doesn't have the usual *forbidden* feelings for the girl in pants. I'm on page 300, but since I've read it about 3-4 years ago I've skimmed a bit."

ABSOLUTELY. I have boderline respect for Cole at the moment so if he had any of those feelings I'm not sure I would've respected him as a hero.

message 41: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments I am so enjoying Cole and Alaina -- they are so well-drawn, not one-dimensional at all.

I'm starting to think that in terms of bodice-rippers Kathleen Woodiwiss got type-cast. The Flame and the Flower and The Wolf and the Dove very firmly fall in that category but I'm not sure the rest of hers did. While Cole is a very strong lead I'm not sure he's really one of the "alphole" types that we all love to hate so much.

What do you all think?

message 42: by Karla (last edited Aug 04, 2010 09:21AM) (new)

It's early yet, but he's not giving off any alphole vibes at all. In fact, he's acting the way I'd expect a Civil War officer that looks like Clint Eastwood to behave. LOL

message 43: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 42 comments I wrote in one of my statuses yesterday that I really thought this book was more on the historical fiction side of a romance novel. I don't get bodice-ripper out of this one at all - I mean it has some of the characteristics, but to me it reads definitely more fiction than romance - at least in the first 1/2. This is my first Woodiwiss novel so I don't have her other books to compare it to. Its definitely not like the other BR's I've read.

message 44: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments Karla wrote: "It's early yet, but he's not giving off any alphole vibes at all. In fact, he's acting the way I'd expect a Civil War officer that looks like Clint Eastwood to behave. LOL"

Oh, STOP IT, LOL! I don't like Clint Eastwood!

Wait a minute. Unless you mean Rawhide Clint as opposed to Every Which Way But Loose Clint.

That would be almost perfect, actually. Good job!

message 45: by Karla (new)

Oh, totes Rawhide Eastwood, for this book anyway.

I love Clint no matter the year - young, old, whatever. Pale Rider....def! He's been one of my top faves since I was a tot.

message 46: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3 comments ok, I started reading Ashes in the Wind by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss today, I am reading the large print, since it was the only copy my library had, and of course it has like a gazillion pages, so I am feeling a bit intimidated. Whew! what a workout lugging that thing home from the library. But I am very excited to get started after reading so many of your awesome reviews on this book.

message 47: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments It's an excellent book - Melissa, hope you enjoy it! Now I'm waiting for everyone to finish to we can all start talking about it.

message 48: by Karla (new)

So impatient! LOL

I'm on 210 - wish I didn't have to go to work! Grrrr....

message 49: by Bella (new)

Bella Foxygobble (dcrain02) | 42 comments Melissa wrote: "ok, I started reading Ashes in the Wind by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss today, I am reading the large print, since it was the only copy my library had, and of course it has like a gazillion pages, so I am feeli..."

you're going to be glad for the large print eventually. I had to take a break for a day because even with reading glasses my eyes were straining on the small print.

message 50: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Tammy wrote: "It's an excellent book - Melissa, hope you enjoy it! Now I'm waiting for everyone to finish to we can all start talking about it."

Finished last night, enjoyed it as much the second time as the first, although that *big twist* at the end was a bit more of a groaner this time around. I knew what was coming and looked for hints and didn't find any at all.

« previous 1 3 4